New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by shonmac
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
1,639 Posts
I was " window shopping " at motionrc.com today . Looking through.the Freewing EDFs and this caught my eye. The pajnt schemw really slapped my face with its awesomeness!! I was looking at the differences between the the Freewing F 22 3 s and 4s.

The F 22 is going to have to wait! I got a micro Sukhoi coming in the mail next week. I will fly that around for a while and order this one soon after. I cant wait!
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Upgrading
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by rclark
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,115 Posts
Sounds good . It is a wonderful little jet. Stable and flies reasonably fast on stock setup even up here at 5200 ASL. No gear to get banged up, easy slide on grass or dirt when landing. I am on my second one now... as the last one finally bowed out due to a mixed up Tx (see story in a post somewhere back in this thread if interested).
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by shonmac
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
1,639 Posts
Yes very interested and will be reading through the thread for everyone's experience with this beauty.
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Upgrading
Old Nov 07, 2015, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by softshell29
Joined Apr 2008
391 Posts
Hobby F9F Panther ----Extreme Mods

What a great Jet... Want the ultimate mod?

Well, Don't do this...Try Don's Wicked (above posts), instead. Amazing upgrade.

I went beyond this as part of the X-1 Program.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...to_threadtools

See Post #107

I was lucky to find such an outstanding electric jet as the Hobby Lobby / Freewing F9F Panther to help me prove the X-1 concepts. OK, I admit, my mods enabled this Panther to do some things beyond the others..and this helped make the X-1 possible...but there are much easier and more sane ways to boost the performance of this bird............... Like Don's.
softshell29 is offline Find More Posts by softshell29
Last edited by softshell29; Nov 07, 2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2016, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by coastiehelimech
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2015
26 Posts
Need some help!!!!!!!!!!!

Here goes....

I built my F9F as per the manual (no landing gear or steering servo equipped). I was running a 3s 2200 mAh lipo (180g) as per several people in this thread have mentioned giving the plane a slight forward CG and flies well. (current CG is between 1&3/8" to 1 1/2" from leading edge) I was mindful of a relative horizontal hand launch w/ maybe only + 10 degrees. ( NO wind at launch). Had a buddy launch from rear of fuse with me ready on the sticks. Plane rolls to the right and impacts the ground. Never seemed to collect any lift or acceleration before impact. Sustained a crack in the fuse and discovered the servos were not reversed on my Tx.

Second launch attempt.
Fixed servo issuse and epoxied the fuse. Held aircraft at rear of fuse and hand launched as per the technique above. This time aircraft corkscrewed and went into ground.( NO wind at launch) Again seems like no thrust and lift. Severed fuse at intakes.

I just completed 2nd fuse repair with yet to get this thing launched...??? This thing wont survive another lawn dart landing!

Is the 2200 mAh (180grams) battery to heavy for launch?

I also have 2 batteries i haven't tried: 1800 mAh(141grams), and a 1500mAh (115grams).

I have been flying RC propeller planes & helis for years and this is my first edf. i'm a 16 year licensed aircraft mechanic by trade and would like to think this stuff is my bag baby!

Please give any ideas!!!!
coastiehelimech is offline Find More Posts by coastiehelimech
Old Jan 01, 2016, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by The Don
MA Indoor FreeFlight Columnist
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
11,936 Posts
Probably rotating his hand when letting go. I see that all the time. Hold the plane in front of the wing near the canopy when launching instead of behind the wing. Works great. Also make sure your at full throttle before launching.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
Old Jan 01, 2016, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by Bigster
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
6,472 Posts
^^^ This

This plane doesn't have a ton of low end thrust so it's going to be on the edge of stalling when it leaves the launcher's hands. Keep it as level as you can to build up speed.

Also, check that your ailerons aren't reversed.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Jan 01, 2016, 08:16 PM
Joined Jul 2015
26 Posts
Thanks bigster,

Ailerons are correct throw. Think i need 5 or even 10 mph wind to help me out.

What about an edf & esc upgrade? Still wanna stay 3s though.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 01, 2016, 10:22 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,115 Posts
Mine has plenty of thrust at launch, even up here at 5200 feet. You can't just let it go though (you do have to 'throw it') and you do have to launch it straight or slightly up. If you toss it at to steep and angle you have to quickly get that nose down toward level to allow it pick up speed. The plane will not 'twist' on it's own. You launch straight, it goes straight (it may dip, but the wings will stay level). At full throttle mine wants to lift the nose as you toss (I always do a rear launch as I find it easier for me). Watch out for the elevator as it doesn't need much throw. If you have to much, and you pull full back, you'll run into trouble. Normally I don't even have to touch the elevator (maybe a touch to keep level), just straighten the wings as it flies out and as soon as it gets on step, pull back a bit to let it climb to altitude. I use the 1800 3s packs as that works well for me. Sometimes I'll twist it a bit in the throw, but so far I've able to catch it and level it before it dives to the ground. I throw with my right hand. Hold jet above my shoulder, run up to full throttle, then toss, and 'quickly' get my right hand on the stick! Off we go! Please do throw into any breeze! Going 'with the wind' is not a way to get this bird in the air! At times, I've had move to a place where I can launch the plane behind the pits, and then fly around to the field, and then walk (meanwhile flying) back to one of the pilots stations. So it goes. That's my experience.
Old Jan 01, 2016, 11:39 PM
Joined Jul 2015
26 Posts
Rclark,

Thanks for the info.

Where is your CG at? 1&1/2", 1&3/4" etc.
Old Jan 02, 2016, 11:19 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,115 Posts
Mine balances on the finger tips just in front of the servo wires slot (plane nose is facing me) . My fingernails would be touching the wire. Fingers are positioned where the wings were glued on.