SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:34 PM
London, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
Discussion
DJI A2 questions

I've tried the searching tools and haven't come up with what I'm looking for so I thought I'd post. (If the answer is already on this site somewhere accept my applogies and congratulations that your searching abilities are better than mine! lol)

1) Has anyone done any range testing with the A2 using the internal DR16 with a Futaba radio (14SG?) vs a Spektrum radio (DX9/DX18)

2) Can pack voltage be displayed directly on the DX9 (or 18) with the telemetry options? Or is this only function only applicable for the Futaba 14SG?

Basically I am shopping for a new radio to link with an A2/S1000+ combo. I know voltage info comes thru the iOSD but I don't want to bug the camera man regularly, I'd just rather watch it myself on the LCD display if possible. I know Spektrum and JR radio's pretty well and would like to still use them but not if they are limited in telemetry and/or range if compared to a Futaba 14SG.

Thanks in advanced.

Cheers.
padair is offline Find More Posts by padair
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:16 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Nov 2012
369 Posts
Very good range, some people have reported 1km.

We use it 2-3 hundred meters all the time with zero issues. Sometime 500 meters.

I'm sure some people take it further, but those are numbers that have been reported constantly. With lightbridge you can go even further.

We got all our info from the IOSD MK II, never used anything else on our S900 systems.

Honestly it's not even a question, go with the 14SG. You can't rely such a heavy and expensive craft with DX remotes. Those are fine for little stuff like F450 and F550, but not S900, S1000 or S1000+, it's just a bad decision (like putting cheap tires on a sport car).
Ronan87 is offline Find More Posts by Ronan87
Old Nov 11, 2014, 04:29 AM
Joined May 2014
159 Posts
1.2Km on Futaba 14SG voltage telemetry.
tommybear is online now Find More Posts by tommybear
Old Nov 11, 2014, 01:33 PM
the best laid plans.......
somewhere east of the pond
Joined Jun 2007
600 Posts
no matter what radio, the pilot should have the telemetry on HIS video monitor .......
a 50 $ fpv cam wouldnīt be a bad idea on a 5000$ craft either, even if its just a coulor backdrop for your telemetry, on the other hand , it might help line up a shot or two as well.....

the cam op again could care less about flight data , his cam osd is full of small typed info anyways......... and a artificial horizon is a bad replacement for crosshairs...

maybe another 75 $ video tx should be on the list , just in case.......
thequieteuropean is offline Find More Posts by thequieteuropean
Old Nov 11, 2014, 01:53 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,757 Posts
I have two DJI IOSD II's and both of them have locked up on occasion. They can just freeze and not update the display info. When this happens you see old voltage readings on the screen. None of the data gets updated until the unit is powered off and on again. Don't rely only on the IOSD for your voltage data. I now have the 14SG and will be connecting the telemetry to the vibrator in the receiver as soon as the cable arrives. This way the radio will vibrate when the voltage gets low in addition to seeing the on screen voltage.
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Nov 11, 2014, 01:59 PM
Lethargic Nincompoop
United States, CA, El Segundo
Joined Jul 2014
668 Posts
Man CG. You always seem to have bad luck with certain products.

Cross my fingers that i don't have an issue with my iOSD.
Skunky is offline Find More Posts by Skunky
Old Nov 11, 2014, 03:43 PM
the best laid plans.......
somewhere east of the pond
Joined Jun 2007
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
I have two DJI IOSD II's and both of them have locked up on occasion. They can just freeze and not update the display info. When this happens you see old voltage readings on the screen. None of the data gets updated until the unit is powered off and on again. Don't rely only on the IOSD for your voltage data. I now have the 14SG and will be connecting the telemetry to the vibrator in the receiver as soon as the cable arrives. This way the radio will vibrate when the voltage gets low in addition to seeing the on screen voltage.
after just one day with the iosd i must say it is strange to be without current reading .volts and amps always kinda crosscheck each other on your average fpv osd.

ohms law , without a current reading i find myself checking voltage more often because i just didnīt see the current spikes or the incredibly efficient downwind legs to firm up the voltage readout i see , philosophy, i know, still if you wake up in a dark room you have to open the shutters to see wether your alarm clock tells ya its 9 am or pm if you know what i mean .......
thequieteuropean is offline Find More Posts by thequieteuropean
Old Nov 11, 2014, 03:52 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky View Post
Man CG. You always seem to have bad luck with certain products.

Cross my fingers that i don't have an issue with my iOSD.
I fly a lot of hours! It has only happened a few times but it does happen. Maybe one out of 100 flights. Freaky when you see the display lock up.
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Nov 11, 2014, 08:24 PM
London, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
thanks everyone for the replies and input.
padair is offline Find More Posts by padair