SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:28 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
So after getting back from IRCHA and relapsing into a tired stupor for a couple of days, it was time to get back to the CH-139. There were two panel indentations that are not present on most Rangers I have seen in pictures and are not on any of the 139's. I also got to get right up and close to a Kiowa Warrior that was converted to a crop duster while in Anderson, Indiana so I took advantage of that and shot the daylights out of it for any details that I could use, like the tie-down at the rear of the fuselage. Also on the agenda was a complete reworking of the window openings, which are far from correct. The overall shape is right but the way it is treated is very wrong. I added the sliding window frames in the rear windows and completely redid the front ones to coincide with the 139 pictures. I finally added the first coat of primer to it and already it looks ready to go. This is turning out way better than I thought it would and will be a very distinctive helicopter where ever it goes. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:28 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Some more details done this morning. The pitot tube and a stall strip on the upper horizontal tails.

Don
Old Aug 15, 2014, 05:59 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
This afternoon, I made up this part and if anyone knows what it is, I would love to hear it. It looks like a handle and it may well be one for removing the doghouse with an overhead winch or crane. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:12 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Boy, it has been a productive day. I finished off the day with a set of wire strike cutters. Funny thing is that I had planned to make these for the Jet Ranger but never got around to building them. The antennae are set on it for just this set but they will look even better on this bird. The black like is a very small carbon fibre rod to give them some strength in the event they cut through a good size bug in the air. On my AS350, I left home with the wire strike cutters all nicely fixed and painted. I never hit the upper one on anything and just last night, I noticed some paint missing from the back of the cutter. The only way that happens is when I tweak it with my hand or clothing so it had to have hit something in the air, lol. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:14 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
773 Posts
Really starting to come together.. Looking good.
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g
Old Aug 16, 2014, 07:26 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Thanks Jus. I put it together this morning to show it at a float fly (cancelled for today and on tomorrow) and to see it sitting beside the other Ranger, you would never know they were the same body. It is a complete transformation from a sport scale model to a scale helicopter. I can't wait to get the rivets done and the paint started. I hope to have it done in a couple of weeks or so. Take care.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:56 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Time for a very riveting subject. Yah, I know, poor choice of words, lol. This was started yesterday morning around 10:00am and was done by 3:00am this morning. I had done a lot of the lines on Saturday and Sunday evenings, so that was a large portion of setup time. There are also some that were done freehand as it was too much work to try and layout the lines for them as they were small numbers.

It's always hard to find enough pictures to get the detail you need but there was only one area that I couldn't get pictures of from the Kiowa and there might be some from a Cdn Coast Guard Ranger that I downloaded but those will be used mostly for the bucket hookup and I don't think there is much riveting on the bottom judging from the pictures I took already. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 20, 2014, 06:26 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
This is one helicopter that does not have much room for an interior but when you leave out the instrument panel, it really looks EMPTY. I have a new one on order and it will be here in September along with some other knick knacks that I am awaiting arrival on. When it get here, I might combine my base with the new panel as mine got a bit shrunk getting the shape to be good, lol. Oh well, it's only a temporary panel. The first Jet Ranger has one of those panels in place but I glued it in so well, only the upper panel is removable as it was a friction fit to the base.

I made three patterns for the panel and the rest was a simple piece of PVC foam board cut to space the panels out. The pattern was made from EPO foam and then the four parts were traced and cut from PVC foam board. CA was used to glue it together and it makes very short work of it. I will be painting it shortly and will keep it simple with no panel details or much else. there is enough room in the front canopy to make up a floor and even some pedals but there is no hope for a set of seats, even if they were cut in half. The wires and the battery take up so much space, there is no hope for anything else but the panel and maybe the partial floor. Oh well, in another life. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:07 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I am not so sure that they trained the pilots to do much more than get their wings and checkout for helicopter at that school but part of the fun of this helicopter is the Bambi bucket. On the underside, there is a simple "D" ring and electrical connection for the servo and it is not so great looking on its own. I decided to add some detailing there to cover up the installation and found one of our Coast Guard helicopters in a museum display online. From that, I was able to make up a rather close mock-up of the load framework and with placement shown by the rivet lines (I just happened to have placed them on the underside), I was able to get this pretty close to what it should be. This will never take any load but at least will look like it is part of it and it will be screwed in place when the time comest. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:11 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Just a small amount of stuff done today. I had wondered what those little angle parts were on the CH-139 and when I got the close-up pictures of the Kiowa, that was where I discovered their purpose. There are 5 small holes that are protected by those two angle brackets and they may be even smaller than what I put there but if it had been done perfectly, the slightest amount of paint would have closed them up. The second piece is a tie-down anchor point that, in some other pictures, I had thought that it was a white strobe. Live and learn. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:38 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Now I know it is getting close to paint, the screens are in. Turned out better than I had hoped. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:11 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
That's going to be one fine heli, nice work!
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:41 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Thanks SidewaysLS4. It's time to hold my breath.......

Don
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:43 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
This is the reason that they nick-named these helicopters, the "Banana Boats". Does this colour ever stand out in a crowd, lol. This is the first colour and I would think that tomorrow evening, I'll start taping it up for the olive drab. I don't think it will be done this weekend, but it will be ready by next week. The slight aging and clear coat will finish it off. Most of the wear and tear seems to be limited to the landing skids and since these will be replaced with a set that are shorter in length and also buried in the body as per the original, I will not set these up with the full length wear strips and bear paws. That may come sometime this fall. Take care

Don
Old Aug 28, 2014, 05:08 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I have the basic colour scheme nearly done as I need to wait for the main colours to set before going any further. Even the matt black on the nose will need to wait for a bit. However, here is a taste of what is coming up. Take care

Don