surf monkey
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2011
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttucker View Post
Just get another one.
^^^this.

It looks like you totally raped & destroyed that poor RX. It hurts to even look at it. Please, for the love of God, don't try to do anymore soldering or rework like that again, it's just to painful to take...
changosurf is offline Find More Posts by changosurf
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM
Lithuania, Vilnius County, Vilnius
Joined Dec 2006
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf View Post
^^^this.

It looks like you totally raped & destroyed that poor RX. It hurts to even look at it. Please, for the love of God, don't try to do anymore soldering or rework like that again, it's just to painful to take...
Or find a friend with decent soldering iron...
montis is offline Find More Posts by montis
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
BashMonkeyRC
United States, OR, Marcola
Joined Sep 2013
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf View Post
^^^this.

I just saw that picture, YIKES I'm pretty sure the avr pins aren't supposed to be bent opposite directions! Soldering a fresh board is difficult enough, impossible without the proper tools, but desoldering and resoldering one is a whole other dimension of hell without experience

When soldering circuit boards, always have the work done by a professional unless you fit these criteria:
-You have experience soldering small connections
-You have a proper soldering station with temp regulator
-You have the proper tools to do a precise job
-You are patient

I see the blunt nose he's talking about is a wing, and I believe one of the other UHF system makes might offer sideways pins for wing applications (like the flytron openlrs). Only other options are carve a little into the wing and mount it upright (if the wing is thick enough) or just defer to a professional
KNote72 is online now Find More Posts by KNote72
Old Today, 05:05 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
597 Posts
Yes, I over played with it too much.

I probably felt very good after I constructed own DIY FPV googles from LCD display and fresnel lens.

Also wanted to make things perfect.

Instead it was nightmare.

I wanted to put it completely to the side of the wing.

Yes, I have experience with soldering.

But not much with desoldering.

And the soldering station is not optimal.

I need to improve here still.

Any idea what could be wrong?

What to measure with multimeter to get it work?

(I remember time when my Turnigy 9X smoked and burned after the battery polarity was wrong by mistake. Still I was able to fix it step by step. And I am flying with it still every day. I wish to do the same here, to fix it. But probably also I am going to order some mini hawk eye open lrs rx in the meantime. )

avr pins are just bent because intend was to not use them - to help RX to get to the complete side of the wing, there was not enough height space with pins as were up originally. It is possible bend them back if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNote72 View Post
I just saw that picture, YIKES I'm pretty sure the avr pins aren't supposed to be bent opposite directions! Soldering a fresh board is difficult enough, impossible without the proper tools, but desoldering and resoldering one is a whole other dimension of hell without experience

When soldering circuit boards, always have the work done by a professional unless you fit these criteria:
-You have experience soldering small connections
-You have a proper soldering station with temp regulator
-You have the proper tools to do a precise job
-You are patient

I see the blunt nose he's talking about is a wing, and I believe one of the other UHF system makes might offer sideways pins for wing applications (like the flytron openlrs). Only other options are carve a little into the wing and mount it upright (if the wing is thick enough) or just defer to a professional
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Last edited by pavn; Today at 05:11 AM.
Old Today, 09:41 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
Yes, I over played with it too much.

I probably felt very good after I constructed own DIY FPV googles from LCD display and fresnel lens.

Also wanted to make things perfect.

Instead it was nightmare.

I wanted to put it completely to the side of the wing.

Yes, I have experience with soldering.

But not much with desoldering.

And the soldering station is not optimal.

I need to improve here still.

Any idea what could be wrong?

What to measure with multimeter to get it work?

(I remember time when my Turnigy 9X smoked and burned after the battery polarity was wrong by mistake. Still I was able to fix it step by step. And I am flying with it still every day. I wish to do the same here, to fix it. But probably also I am going to order some mini hawk eye open lrs rx in the meantime. )

avr pins are just bent because intend was to not use them - to help RX to get to the complete side of the wing, there was not enough height space with pins as were up originally. It is possible bend them back if needed.
OMG just throw the RX in the trash, I would never trust that in my aircraft. Dittos on your soldering skills, practice makes perfect, but don't do it on a piece of equipment you want to use in the future.
hoggdoc is offline Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Old Today, 10:49 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
597 Posts
As I said I was able to fix burned Turnigy 9x RC transmitter in the past with my skills.

If it will be possible to fix and if it will pass long range test - before use in aircraft, there is no reason to trash it yet.

The best thing on fixing and doing things yourself is pleasure you get when it works as should. Similarly as when you create aircraft yourself from scratch, when it flies perfectly.

All what is needed is RSSI and PPM out from the RX to work, since it will be connected to proved nicely working autopilot - Ardupilot, from which servos are controlled. That it is why, I do not need other pins to use. So I will still try to play with it, if it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggdoc View Post
OMG just throw the RX in the trash, I would never trust that in my aircraft. Dittos on your soldering skills, practice makes perfect, but don't do it on a piece of equipment you want to use in the future.
Old Today, 11:19 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,150 Posts
At least you're perseverant and don't get discouraged by the comments, that's an important thing for FPV.

I'm sure it will work in the end, even if you have to replace every component one by one, and the PCB.
flipflap is offline Find More Posts by flipflap
Old Today, 02:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
HK's Orange 433Mhz ultracheap open-LRS UHF system-now released

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
At least you're perseverant and don't get discouraged by the comments, that's an important thing for FPV.

Agree! Don't give up, untill its to late!
But I have to say, I also agree on the comments that say it doesnt look good, in terms of getting it fixed. When you fixed your turnigy? Did you use a step by step guide?
The fix you did on the 9x is a fix many people have done before you, and therefor it is well documentet what to do, and what NOT to do. You may be a bit lost fixing this RX if your not an Expert. I have no idea what to do with that one.

And to your desoldering-skills. Take some old electronics and try desoldering on them. And remember to use desoldering-srips or something simular.

Good luck!

PS: i am planing on buying a simular RX for My versa wing to. Time will show how I fix the space-problem.
bjornendre is offline Find More Posts by bjornendre
Old Today, 03:32 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
597 Posts
Thanks, we can keep informed each other about how it goes with our Versa Wing FPV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornendre View Post
Agree! Don't give up, untill its to late!
But I have to say, I also agree on the comments that say it doesnt look good, in terms of getting it fixed. When you fixed your turnigy? Did you use a step by step guide?
The fix you did on the 9x is a fix many people have done before you, and therefor it is well documentet what to do, and what NOT to do. You may be a bit lost fixing this RX if your not an Expert. I have no idea what to do with that one.

And to your desoldering-skills. Take some old electronics and try desoldering on them. And remember to use desoldering-srips or something simular.

Good luck!

PS: i am planing on buying a simular RX for My versa wing to. Time will show how I fix the space-problem.
Old Today, 04:19 PM
surf monkey
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2011
1,257 Posts
@pavn,
- remove & throw away the shrink wrap
- get some alcohol & cotton swaps and clean away all of that burnt solder & crap left over from the soldering
- get some soldering flux/paste & soldering wick. go on youtube and look for videos explaining how to wick & remove solder using the soldering braid
-using the soldering braid/wick, remove all of the solder from the clogged-up pin holes
- it looks like you destroyed & removed some of the inline 1k resistors on the signal pins. You'll have to replace these
-replace the diode with a proper replacement (not sure what was on there before, a schottky?)
-test for continuity from signal pins to arduino across inline 1k resistors
-test for continuity across the 5V input power rail pins, and also over to the diode, and from the diode to the rest of the power circuit for the ATMega chip (3.3V regulator, etc.)
-if any of the traces are damaged or broken, you'll need to install jumpers & bypass the bad circuit sections

...and if you can't successfully & easily accomplish any of these tasks, just stop wasting your time and get a new one.
changosurf is offline Find More Posts by changosurf