HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:57 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Perhaps.

Alas, it seems that this conversation has become more about getting the last word in, does it not? Now, you want the last word in. Would you not like for the thread to come back on topic?
Perhaps ,after you've had a stroke that left you speechless and barely able to communicate in any fashion save for hunt and peck typing ur spelling will be passable und understandable as well....re-learning basic motor skills like tying your shoes or typing is no piknik
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Dec 12, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:10 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
Just a thought .Has anyone considered the possibility of perhaps putting together a pettition to MPX imploring them to bring back the SL and perhaps a few other "classic" designs ?Updated of course ,perhaps a special limited edition?Personally I'd be willing to pay upwards of $300-500 US for a NIB SL including shipping.
$300-$500 !!!!
RUFC!?
See the other thread.
J.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:19 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Wow, just, wow.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:15 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Just a thought .Has anyone considered the possibility of perhaps putting together a pettition to MPX imploring them to bring back the SL and perhaps a few other "classic" designs ?Updated of course ,perhaps a special limited edition?Personally I'd be willing to pay upwards of $300-500 US for a NIB SL including shipping.
I really like this idea but unfortunately, I think your price range is realistic which means that it would be pretty hard to get a good number of folks willing/able to pay that much for a foamy. If their production is anything like Horizon, a batch sufficient large to justify setting up the tooling is approximately 200 kits. I am very confident that selling 200 kits at the typical $100-$150 USD price range for the kit would be feasible but at $300 (the plausible low end) it would be difficult.

If the plane came as an RX ready package for that price, it would be much more appealing...but I suspect Hitec/Himax have largely gone out of the inrunner business...so that's unlikely.

I'd love to be proven wrong on that...but IMO, this goes against the nature of the foamy market.

This is why I believe Hobbyking (etc) could do very well with this kit since their overhead is so much smaller and their customer base is broader. Just guessing by their pricing on similarly complex foam kits, they could probably beat that original price by a good margin and sell a ton of them.

The SL is a beautiful model but it also has the potential to be enjoyed when flown wrecklessly, exploiting the canards and/or thrust differential...but when a pilot pays too much for the kit, high-alfa flying a few feet off the deck is much less fun and a lot more scary.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:13 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
I wonder how scary this was?
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
I wonder how scary this was?

The pilot's back is to us so you can't see the wet spot on his pants.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post

The pilot's back is to us so you can't see the wet spot on his pants.
Hovering and Torque-rolls are standard maneuvers for 3D pilots. In this case the pilot is Quique Somenzini and as a professional pilot, he could do this all day long without breaking a sweat.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Hovering and Torque-rolls are standard maneuvers for 3D pilots. In this case the pilot is Quique Somenzini and as a professional pilot, he could do this all day long without breaking a sweat.

Jürgen
LOL... really?

You even have to weigh in with your "expertise" on a shared joke.
Last edited by MRGTX; Dec 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
LOL... really?

You even have to weigh in with your "expertise" on a shared joke.
Well, if you are down to using this thread to share jokes now, this thread has become a joke and I am out of it!

Jürgen
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:20 PM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Well, if you are down to using this thread to share jokes now, this thread has become a joke and I am out of it!

Jürgen
Don't let the door hit you in the A@@ on the way out
It became A Joke when you would not stop, you just had to be right on EVERYTHING...!!!! about Everything and not just stating the facts as you Germans say thats what you do ,and we as Americans can't understand.
It's you My friend that doesn't understand All you had to do was "state your fact " that yes it was not a great seller (over there) in Germany back then and explain as to why you thought this way , but it would be kind of fun to bring it back again (updated ) today and be a little supported of it ,or butt out.!!!....It was easy as that... but you made it into somthing Mr GTX did not intend it to be .......
Now back to the thread ,Mr GTX did you think to contact Ming on here he does Airliners and maybe he would be intresed in produceing it as a clone or with a little bit of a design change so he would not feel like he is stealing it from MPX..
have a wonderfull Christmas Jurgen and I really mean it ...
All is forgiven, heck this Is Christmas
jlions72 is offline Find More Posts by jlions72
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlions72 View Post
....Mr GTX did you think to contact Ming on here he does Airliners and maybe he would be intresed in produceing it as a clone or with a little bit of a design change so he would not feel like he is stealing it from MPX.....
Yes- this is a great idea. I actually sent him a PM in the early days of this discussion but it was bounced back since his inbox is full. I suppose an email is in order...I'll do that and report back on any response.

Ming is a great asset to our hobby and he makes superb airliners. As you suggested, I bet he would change it around a lot... which could be great. I'm certainly in favor of an upgraded version of this model or an all-new Boeing Sonic Cruiser design.

I suspect he would go with a twin EDF setup. This would be much more "scale" but it would hurt some of the flexibility that pusher props offer...so there are plusses and minuses, I suppose.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
....OK thanks for the reply ....will keep following this thread it's intresting ....." O and you have a wonerfull "Christmas" and Not Xmas as the world wants us to say ...Not happing
jlions72 is offline Find More Posts by jlions72
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:42 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,892 Posts
Ming indeed is an asset to our hobby!
I've seen him spend time in these forums to not only find out what product he could be successful with,but also what the desires of his patrons are as far as improvement of current product.
Alas,if anyone would be faintly interested it would be Ming.
Maybe if he released even just a moldings kit for you SL maniacs to have at it with your own assembly development ...
I wonder if Ming would know,or be able to find out where the original molds are???
J
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
Ming indeed is an asset to our hobby!
I've seen him spend time in these forums to not only find out what product he could be successful with,but also what the desires of his patrons are as far as improvement of current product.
Alas,if anyone would be faintly interested it would be Ming.
Maybe if he released even just a moldings kit for you SL maniacs to have at it with your own assembly development ...
I wonder if Ming would know,or be able to find out where the original molds are???
J
I agree...he's one of the "accessible" designers around here and he seems like a decent guy all around.

So I plan to fly my ARC powered Twinjet this weekend. I don't want to modify mine too much more (it's basically pefect, IMO) but has anyone ever put canards on one of these? It might be a good Sonic substitute in the mean time.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
I don't want to modify mine too much more (it's basically pefect, IMO) but has anyone ever put canards on one of these?...
Of course it has been done many times. Just an example:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537971

Jürgen