HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:43 PM
Up... Up... And away !
Portugal
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
Nice mod ! Will do it soon.

Done ! 4 batteries and jst females connectors on the way.
ricardoliveira is offline Find More Posts by ricardoliveira
Last edited by ricardoliveira; Feb 01, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
New toy excitement aside, I don't really see how one could go much farther with the RCE1 without consideration of the issue of guts hanging out of the motor complete with no protection of the thin wiring, just where you don't want them to be, with nothing other than thin plastic feet right where they take the most hits. It just plain smacks of planned obsolescence.

Is there any chance of this obvious design flaw being addressed anytime soon? I just spent good money on another electric guitar, it has plenty of wiring and even some capacitors but it is all tucked safely inside even though it doesn't fly around the room and crash on the ground...why can't a quad of the quality of RCE1 do the same?
Deathspiral13 is offline Find More Posts by Deathspiral13
Last edited by Deathspiral13; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:14 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post

Does anyone know just how much weight this neat little Eye One can handle? I'd like to take apart one of my little keychain cameras and stick it on there some how. Maybe I should wait for the new versions.
Mounting a stripped down spycam will yield good flight time. But to give you an idea of it's payload capacity I mounted a 23 gram dice cam from hobbypartz with hook and loop tape atop the canopy. This is around 8-10 grams heavier than the keychain cam.

In beginner mode, it could barely lift the cam off the ground.

Sport mode had adequate lift up to +30', fairly stable on ff flight, but throttle response was sluggish due to the weight of the camera.

On expert mode, lift and throttle response was nice, but I found it hard to fly smoothly - I just couldn't "dial enough expo into my thumb" to smooth out throttle changes. But that's me as I've seen other videos from better pilots than I.

Both sport and expert modes I had to limit flight times to 4.5 minutes or less compared to 6.5-7 minutes on the stock lipos.
GRUMPEE is offline Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:23 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Will the Any-Link adapter work on the Eye One?
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:45 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPEE View Post
Mounting a stripped down spycam will yield good flight time. But to give you an idea of it's payload capacity I mounted a 23 gram dice cam from hobbypartz with hook and loop tape atop the canopy. This is around 8-10 grams heavier than the keychain cam.

In beginner mode, it could barely lift the cam off the ground.

Sport mode had adequate lift up to +30', fairly stable on ff flight, but throttle response was sluggish due to the weight of the camera.

On expert mode, lift and throttle response was nice, but I found it hard to fly smoothly - I just couldn't "dial enough expo into my thumb" to smooth out throttle changes. But that's me as I've seen other videos from better pilots than I.

Both sport and expert modes I had to limit flight times to 4.5 minutes or less compared to 6.5-7 minutes on the stock lipos.
Thank you for the response. That all sounds very promising since it would be a stripped down keychain camera.
I'm still sitting on the fence about getting the Eye One now or waiting for the new models to come out. Do you know if that will be in March?
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:17 AM
WRX STI V - EJ22 - 35.3 PSI
Malaysia, Selangor, Puchong
Joined Nov 2012
884 Posts
Hey guys,
Seeing as though I don't seem to ever get the hang of expert mode on the eye one, can we make the extreme 180 sport mode a bit quicker than the Rc eye one... I can fly the rc eye one fine on sports mode, but its a whole new ball game on expert mode..any tips..excercises?

Seriously I want to get onto expert so badly but its just so dang hard!
Ayodhya is offline Find More Posts by Ayodhya
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:03 AM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayodhya View Post
Hey guys,
Seeing as though I don't seem to ever get the hang of expert mode on the eye one, can we make the extreme 180 sport mode a bit quicker than the Rc eye one... I can fly the rc eye one fine on sports mode, but its a whole new ball game on expert mode..any tips..excercises?

Seriously I want to get onto expert so badly but its just so dang hard!
I know what you mean. I've actually grown a bit tired of my Eye One in sport mode and have lately only been flying my V202.
There seems to be too much of a jump from sport to expert modes. The sport mode needs to be dialed up just a little bit more.
After a few minutes, the beginner mode becomes boring. The sport mode takes a short time to master and kept me entertained for a while, but is now lacking in the speed category. Expert mode is just hard as hell to control.
I think a nice upgrade would be to have the capability to switch some stabilization on or off while in expert mode.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:56 AM
WRX STI V - EJ22 - 35.3 PSI
Malaysia, Selangor, Puchong
Joined Nov 2012
884 Posts
Yea... I mean I can do figure 8s on expert mode with the x4 ...fast fly bys..etc.. But again the x4 doesn't even hold a candle to the eye one. I love the eye one, but would love it better if expert mode wasn't sooooo hard... I got sports mode all used to....but expert mode is just way, way different.. i wish the dream team at rc logger could pack some extra punch on the sports mode so that the self level is still there..with more power/speed

Hmm maybe they could do something to those two extra buttons on the controller..
Ayodhya is offline Find More Posts by Ayodhya
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:05 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Will the Any-Link adapter work on the Eye One?
No, the AnyLink brand setup will not work.

RCLogger is coming out with their OneLink system soon though.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:18 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspiral13 View Post
New toy excitement aside, I don't really see how one could go much farther with the RCE1 without consideration of the issue of guts hanging out of the motor complete with no protection of the thin wiring, just where you don't want them to be, with nothing other than thin plastic feet right where they take the most hits. It just plain smacks of planned obsolescence.

Is there any chance of this obvious design flaw being addressed anytime soon? I just spent good money on another electric guitar, it has plenty of wiring and even some capacitors but it is all tucked safely inside even though it doesn't fly around the room and crash on the ground...why can't a quad of the quality of RCE1 do the same?
The new longer, tougher landing skids should help with this situation.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:11 PM
Neophyte o the Flyin Cuisinart
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2007
703 Posts
Just received my RC Eye One from RC-Drones today. It was shipped promptly on 1/31 - arrived 2/2. Just two days from NY to LA with free shipping. Amazing service. Sure beats the interminable wait from China.

I'm a noob with less than a month of V911 flying experience, so the power and stability of this little drone is a real eye-opener for me . I'm hooked big time! And now my wife wants an Eye One, too.

Edit: I've had around a dozen outdoor flights with the Eye One, most in Sport mode--Beginner mode gets old fast, even though I'm a beginner--and all's well. I'm getting a nice stable hover with almost no trim; smooth, predictable flight, even with a pretty good intermittent breeze, and amazingly, no real crashes yet. This little thing makes my V911s seem so insubstantial - no way they could handle this breeze without blowing out of my yard like a plastic grocery bag.

Great product!
Uncle Gravity is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity
Last edited by Uncle Gravity; Feb 03, 2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Update
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2013
224 Posts
selling my RC Eye One

Too many in my fleet. As you already know, the RC Eye One is a great l'il beast. This comes with two usb chargers and 3 batteries. Fully working. The canopy has a small crack but holds perfect. There are many extra blades (though a l'il chewed up...good in a pinch) and I'll include 4 extra motors, 2 left (working) and 2 right (not working) and several motor mount landing spars and a googly eye on the front.
$59shipped to you from Brooklyn. I fly a different model indoors so you should give this one a good home.
pbosche is offline Find More Posts by pbosche
Last edited by pbosche; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:55 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,280 Posts
So, I've finally ordered an Eye One with some spare parts. Problem, where can I get a 2s 350mah that fits the battery tray?
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:59 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
So, I've finally ordered an Eye One with some spare parts. Problem, where can I get a 2s 350mah that fits the battery tray?
One page back, see post 1124 and 1125.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7301
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:30 AM
Up... Up... And away !
Portugal
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
Yesterday I went to the city with my rc friends... They laught of the small thing... So cute... Bla bla bla... I flew a sports mode, attention, lots of wind, even the trex500 noticed... I changed to mode 3, and I had a blast flying that thing, lots of power, flybys, I took him about 30 to 40 meters away from us and still controlled it, full power... I don't know if a trex 250 can keep up with this small "thing"... Mode 2 is a must for aerial footage, indoor footage, mode 1 for indoor training... Mode 3, only for experts and with wide open space, a park is the ideal because if it falls, as mine did, grass will absorve impact, so is virtually understructable... I taped everything, tomorrow I will post on YouTube.

Some pics... High in the sky preparing to turn and to do a ground flyby...

30... 40meters away... A rc eye one or a dead pixel in the sky ?
ricardoliveira is offline Find More Posts by ricardoliveira