HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Apr 2010
114 Posts
Discussion
Programming the Cockpit SX for gliders

I've been flying for several years now, mostly power with occasional gliders. But I've become hooked on larger gliders (larger for me). I have 3, 2.3m, 2.5m and 3.2m all with 4 servo wings. I'd be glad of any help programming my Cockpit SX. I've heard of some people using the top half of the throttle for power and the lower half for crow braking.
Any help with this or any other programming ideas would be most welcome.
I'm told the Cockpit SX is ideal for gliders and I feel I'm missing out through ignorance. I'm also ignorant of the best way to use the 3 phases.

Thanks,
John.
Crowstooth is offline Find More Posts by Crowstooth
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:46 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
965 Posts
Hello John
I am pretty sure the SX can not do the trick you ask for, but never the less the SX handle 4-servo wing really good, though not as flexible as other more expensive transmitters, like the Royal Pro or transmitters from other brands.
Please ask again for specific question. I might add that you will need to use almost every mixer in the SX, but it is no hazzle.

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:36 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
I have used the 7ch sx on three full house gliders and a bunch of other stuff including EP 3D and scale gliders and the radio does it all quite easily. However, it does give you a very 'hands on' experience in the sense of true stick and rudder. You will ordinarily be controlling the wing crow/flap and aileron reflex surfaces via a switch and the two thumb/finger sliders but throws and all the usual relative mixes can be programmed in with the other channels if needed, you don't need to use the throttle for crow but you can if you want to. This is not a radio that will fly the aircraft for you. Some of us love this kind of radio for it's alternative approach to programming and its curious channel mix flexibility, it is wholly unpretentious and does not get in the way of your flying with its complexity.

But I am sorry, it has been a couple of years since I have used it and I have forgotten off hand how to guide you. The manual is very comprehensive and easy enough to follow like most MPX offerings. Perhaps there is an online PDF available. My connection here is to crap just now to have a search for one, but it is probably out there so start with Multiplex's own website.

Stick with it and you will find this a great little radio for full house ships. But the Tx really does benefit from a two cell 2200mAh LiPo instead of the measly 800mAh NiMH's it comes with. If you have the original MPX Synth Rx the radio comes with my advice is to toss it, far away, it has a bad rep and I myself have lost a 3.5 meter TD bird from an Rx lockout. The radio has a programmable timer and alarm which is very useful for TD training.

All the best.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 06, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Jan 2009
533 Posts
When using a 7ch receiver the Cockpit allows you to program a full house glider with electric motor. You will need to assign the throttle to one of the side "slider" and the "throttle stick" becomes the landing (crow) control.

Make sure that you get all your basic controls, throws, end points, etc. before going into the phase programing. This is very critical. This is not too well explained in the manual. Other than that if you follow the manual for the programing of a full house motor glider you will get what you are asking for.

This is a real great "little" radio. I use it for my DGL's, and "smaller" gliders including a 4 flaps AVA. Just be careful as the antenna lock for the storage compartment is not the greatest and you can easily loose the antenna...
fnev is offline Find More Posts by fnev