HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
225 Posts
Question
New Plane Choice

I started out with a HZ Champ and then to a Supercub and then I bought a UM T-28 a few weeks ago that I've been flying a lot since getting it. I practiced and practiced on a sim before ever attempting a 4 channel and am glad that I did! Well, I was at the LHS yesterday and was looking at the ARF's that they had in stock. I looked at the Eflite Advance 25 E and the Alpha Sport 450. Which one of these would be better to jump up to from a UM T-28 to or would a full sized T-28 be a better choice. I've always enjoyed working on putting things together and the RTF was great to start off with but I'm kinda wanting to try a different aspect of the hobby, but I don't want to get a plane that's above my flying capabilities. Which one of these planes would be better, or would they both be too fast for someone that's still relatively new to the hobby? Thanks for the input in advance.
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
If yo can fly the UM T-28 well, step up to the full sized T-28. You will be surprised how stable and nicely it flies compared to the UM version. One of the reasons most of us on these forums recommend the Parkzone T-28 Trojan as a great first low wing plane is that it has really docile handling characteristics when compared to other more aerobatic planes like the ones you mentioned. Plus it is made of foam which is pretty repairable by almost any newbie pilot. The PZ T-28 Trojan comes in both bind and fly and plug and play configurations so you have both options. You might want to look at the Parkzone Apprentice too. It is also a foamie, but closer to the configuration of the Alpha Sport 450. Leave the balsa and ply planes for your third plane after you get competent with the T-28 or Apprentice. BTW - I still love to fly my HZ Super Cub despite the fact that I am now flying 5-6 channel warbirds. I love my Super Cub! It's good to see someone is trying to do it right!
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:34 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,032 Posts
since larger planes are generally easier to fly i'm not sure on the t-28. its pretty easy to fly so you may find it lacking.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
I wouldn't think so. His only other experience with a larger plane is the Super Cub. The T-28 is gonna fly way, way different than that or the UM T-28. At least I find that they do. The T-28 is an exciting plane for me. I love the way it sounds when it flies near you. Really scale like.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:24 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,032 Posts
my advice was based on his asking for a plane that is challenging but not above his abilities. based on how easily the t-28 flies it may be less than what he expected. while the micro version may fly differently i would imagine it is also a bit tougher to fly. just my 2 cents thats all. i didn't want my bias in favor of the t-28 to affect my advice on someone else's choices. if he wants a great plane then sure the t-28 gets my vote, but not this time.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
225 Posts
I found the UM T-28 a little twitchy until I got used to it and got it trimmed out to my liking on the Dx6i. I'm sure the full sized T-28 will fly much better. I'm more than happy with the way the micro flies though. I was just wondering how the balsa planes would be. I've got 2 Supercubs, 1 of them is stock and the other I have converted to brushless. I may attempt to do an aileron mod on the brushless one and practice with it a while before I even attempt a balsa plane. I sure don't want to build one and end up toting it home in a garbage bag, lol. I'm sure I can find a good guideline somewhere on here for the aileron mod. Thanks guys.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:36 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,032 Posts
i used http://secure.hobbyzone.com/itemmult...structions.pdf to add ailerons to my cub. its easy and rewarding.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
225 Posts
Thanks cmdl. I'm not going to shorten the wing though unless I absolutely have to. Do you know the measurements out from the center of the wing to start to cut the ailerons? I didn't see that on those instructions. Thanks again.