HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
Question
Soldering Traxxas Connectors to Lipo Battery

I wanted to remove the 4mm banana connector that came with my 3s gens ace pack and replace it with a trx connector so I could use this battery in my rustler without an adapter. Ive never soldered a battery wire before and was wondering if the heat from the iron would damage the lipo battery while soldering? Should I discharge the lipo before soldering? Or should I just make sure to remove the iron within 5 seconds?
jpex62 is offline Find More Posts by jpex62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
I'm not familiar with this type of connector, but I've soldered a TON of connectors (Sermos, Deans, Bullet, etc) to LiPos, and have yet to harm one. I keep the iron in there long enough to get the job done and then remove the iron.
Do take every precaution to avoid shorting out the pack. I work on one wire at a time and cover the end of the bare wire with electrical tape just to make sure.

If you are new to soldering, practice on some scrap wire first to get the feel of it. A clean tip goes a long way in getting the job done right.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have heard of people shorting out packs by having the wires accidentally touch while soldering. But it seems like the heat from the iron shouldn't have an effect on the pack as long as I dont keep the iron on the wire too long.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Just to make sure I understand properly.... the wire is already attached to the pack, you are just adding connectors to the wire, right? If so, then yes solder away with the standard cautions....

If soldering directly to the pack, then this is a different animal that needs different supplies and techniques...something I leave to the professionals because I don't have the supplies.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
Yep. You're correct. There is no way that I would ever try to solder wires directly on a pack.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, GA, Brunswick
Joined Apr 2007
5 Posts
If you are new to soldering you will find the Traxxas connectors very frustrating. There is an area on the terminal for the wire but if any solder flows past the line then the terminal will not push into the housing. You will find it much easier to put Deans connectors on your battery and your ESC. If your are worried about voltage issues, make sure to only cut one wire at a time.
roninga is offline Find More Posts by roninga
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
If your changing connectors, I would look at Sermos (Anderson Power Poles). It takes someone really "special" to screw those up
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
I've soldered a few times before just not for rc related things. Now that I think about it changing everything over to deans or powerpoles isn't a bad idea, but I do like the large surface area of the trx connector and it firmness.