HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2013, 07:21 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
http://goo.gl/rnsT0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollgi View Post
Sorry guys, I do this the first time and are a bit unsure which file to use.
I wanna flash Simon K onto my HK 30a.
Do I need the BS N FET file?
Or which one do I use
Attachment 5747073?
Your help is appreciated.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 08:22 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
OK, finally found a computer that would allow me to attempt to use the KKflashtool.

Im trying to flash F30's using the BS N-FET V2012-9-30 firmware.

I am getting this message

Quote:
Flash the firware from repository

C:\Documents\Mats\RC\Quad\lib\avrdude\windows\avrd ued etc. etc.

avrdude.exe: set SCH frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer.1
avrdude.exe: initilization failed,rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check

avrdude.exe done. Thank you

Error during reading of high fuse.
Flashing of firmware aborted.
So, i seem to remember from the reading i've done that the fuse error can be ignored but has the flash been successful???
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old May 01, 2013, 10:39 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Nope, nothing has been done, your flasher couldn't talk to the chip on the ESC. That's usually because your wiring is wrong or you need to power the ESC, depends on if your flasher supplies power or not
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old May 01, 2013, 10:45 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Just checked the wiring and everything seems correct.

The only thing i'm not 100% sure of is my ground connection as there are 4 different pins fro ground on the programmer, does it matter which one i use?

I am using the usbasp from hobbyking. I flashed my 9XR with it without external power so assume it does supply power???

Heres a link to the programmer i'm using

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old May 01, 2013, 11:13 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
I am using the usbasp from hobbyking. I flashed my 9XR with it without external power so assume it does supply power???
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html
I have the same programmer. When I flashed my KK2 board it supplied enough power to power the receiver as well. Although I didn't try it with the ESCs connected.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old May 02, 2013, 07:32 AM
Joined Sep 2012
226 Posts
Thanks Bob, went smoothly.
hollgi is online now Find More Posts by hollgi
Old May 02, 2013, 04:48 PM
ARMY ATC (93C)
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jan 2005
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Can anyone tell if running the simonk firmware at 16 khz causes a lot of noise at that frequency? Many people can't hear that high but if you can I'm wondering if it's annoying or not. 15 khz is like a knife stabbing my brain and 16 khz makes a lot of pressure in my forehead and makes my ears feel like I have tinnitus which is very annoying.

With that said, is it possible to run even faster? 17 or even 18 khz maybe? 18 khz is about as high as I can reliably hear.
I'm 10000000% with you. I've tried several different ESCs using MT 2216-11 900kv motors and it's like a chalk board scratching sound to me! I've tried RCMC 30a ESCs and now have HK F-30A ones. Same noise. Flies great! but very annoying noise. I ask around and folks tell me there should be no noise, just sound of motor. And I would agree. I haave a small 250ish sized quad running blueseries 12A simonk flashed with SK3 motors and soujnd amazing! Even with two of the new motors bearings going!

Noise links for Nex Neo with T motors and F30A's:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=218

My smaller quad with SK3s and blue 12A's with no noise???
VIDEO0044.mp4 (0 min 0 sec)
mjbennett9 is offline Find More Posts by mjbennett9
Last edited by mjbennett9; May 02, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old May 02, 2013, 05:38 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbennett9 View Post
I'm 10000000% with you. I've tried several different ESCs using MT 2216-11 900kv motors and it's like a chalk board scratching sound to me! I've tried RCMC 30a ESCs and now have HK F-30A ones. Same noise. Flies great! but very annoying noise. I ask around and folks tell me there should be no noise, just sound of motor. And I would agree. I haave a small 250ish sized quad running blueseries 12A simonk flashed with SK3 motors and soujnd amazing! Even with two of the new motors bearings going!
I also run the 12A with Suppo 2208 motors on my quad and don't notice any bad sounds. I mean it has some high pitch sounds but they don't annoy too much.

Your other videos with that whistling noise is ~5122 Hz and yes that is fairly annoying to me anyway. Although I probably wouldn't care once flying around, I would forget about it.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old May 03, 2013, 12:38 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbennett9 View Post
Hello! I think that's just the sound of those motors. I have some on one quad and notice it with them as well. The bell is probably resonating when the the coils are driven at harmonic frequencies. If you instead use it for acrobatics, you won't notice as much.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old May 03, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
81 Posts
Am I reading this right?
for the Maytech the Firmware is " bs_nfet.inc". the Spread sheet says bs_nfet.hex.

Just checking so I don't mess stuff up.

Thank you
crashpilot1 is offline Find More Posts by crashpilot1
Old May 03, 2013, 12:49 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
the .hex is what gets programmed to the esc. if you want to compile your own, you use the inc and some other files which creates a .hex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpilot1 View Post
Am I reading this right?
for the Maytech the Firmware is " bs_nfet.inc". the Spread sheet says bs_nfet.hex.

Just checking so I don't mess stuff up.

Thank you
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old May 03, 2013, 05:02 PM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
438 Posts
I'm wondering if I should be using a different hex file...

(I'll try to be concise)

I have some RedBrick 30A ESCs from HK. I wouldn't buy these now, but I have some I am still using. I flashed some of them back in December. I have a few unflashed ones. I recently burned one up (quad fell ~60 feet and cratered) so I needed to replace it (along with a motor and the frame). None of the extras I have had been flashed. From previous experience I knew I needed tp.hex, so I flashed one with that and put it into service.

For reference, here are pics of the PCB, just in case it's useful:
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4661/frontolx.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img10/5636/backkpc.jpg

I now notice that the one I just flashed gets considerably hotter than the rest. At first I played with smaller props and new motors, assuming something was causing the ESC to work too hard. Since it was ESC #1 and the BEC was powering my KK2.0, I even put a separate ESC into service and connected #1 to the KK2.0 with signal wire only so that it would not be powering both the motor and the FC. Unfortunately, none of the changes had any effect. So then I decided it was time to try a new ESC. When I went to load up tp.hex in my burner software, I saw tp_8khz.hex and that got me thinking:

Could it be that these cheapo ESCs run hot with the standard tp.hex and I need to use tp_8khz.hex instead?

It is entirely possible that I actually flashed the rest with tp_8khz.hex and forgot. Is this a reasonable theory? Should I be concerned if some are using tp.hex and others tp_8khz.hex on the same MR? Does the frequency effect the heat output to this degree?

I can touch the other three ESCs and they are just warm. The problem child ESC is hot. Not so hot I can't keep my palm against it, but hot enough to really dislike doing so.

Oh gurus of SimonK, please help me.
5th is online now Find More Posts by 5th
Old May 03, 2013, 06:39 PM
Helis multiply like rabbits...
United States, ND, West Fargo
Joined Dec 2006
37 Posts
I am trying to flash my plush18's using an AVR ISP. I can read and write the flash as expected. I flash the ESC w/ tgy.hex and it shows successful and the ESC seems to operate fine. The initialization beeps are not as described. They seem to be the same as the originals. Just the three beeps, a pause and one more beep. Shouldn't it be four beeps instead of the three? It does seem to fly my tricopter nice and solid and descends nice and flat and wobble free. Thanks much
scottyp is online now Find More Posts by scottyp
Last edited by scottyp; May 03, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old May 03, 2013, 07:17 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th View Post
I'm wondering if I should be using a different hex file...

(I'll try to be concise)

I have some RedBrick 30A ESCs from HK. I wouldn't buy these now, but I have some I am still using. I flashed some of them back in December. I have a few unflashed ones. I recently burned one up (quad fell ~60 feet and cratered) so I needed to replace it (along with a motor and the frame). None of the extras I have had been flashed. From previous experience I knew I needed tp.hex, so I flashed one with that and put it into service.

For reference, here are pics of the PCB, just in case it's useful:
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4661/frontolx.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img10/5636/backkpc.jpg

I now notice that the one I just flashed gets considerably hotter than the rest. At first I played with smaller props and new motors, assuming something was causing the ESC to work too hard. Since it was ESC #1 and the BEC was powering my KK2.0, I even put a separate ESC into service and connected #1 to the KK2.0 with signal wire only so that it would not be powering both the motor and the FC. Unfortunately, none of the changes had any effect. So then I decided it was time to try a new ESC. When I went to load up tp.hex in my burner software, I saw tp_8khz.hex and that got me thinking:

Could it be that these cheapo ESCs run hot with the standard tp.hex and I need to use tp_8khz.hex instead?

It is entirely possible that I actually flashed the rest with tp_8khz.hex and forgot. Is this a reasonable theory? Should I be concerned if some are using tp.hex and others tp_8khz.hex on the same MR? Does the frequency effect the heat output to this degree?

I can touch the other three ESCs and they are just warm. The problem child ESC is hot. Not so hot I can't keep my palm against it, but hot enough to really dislike doing so.

Oh gurus of SimonK, please help me.
Since the spreadsheet says that both variants of RedBrick 30A esc's don't have an external oscillator, and your pictures clearly show and external oscillator I wonder if these are really redbrick ESC's at all, or if there is now a third version of them that's not listed in the spreadsheet.

In saying that comparing your pics to other tp.hex ESC's yours does look almost identical to this http://0x.ca/sim/esc/Roxxy_720/foto2.jpg which is a BL-Control 720 and is also tp.hex based.

Given your pics has an external oscillator running at 16Mhz I would imagine it should be able to run at that speed ok, I certainly wouldn't want to mix 16Mhz and 8Mhz running ESCs on the same quad, I imagine your FC would have some issues getting slower response from one motor.

Do all the ESCs on your quad look identical to the pictures you posted, or d the original 3 look different?
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old May 03, 2013, 11:06 PM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
Do all the ESCs on your quad look identical to the pictures you posted, or d the original 3 look different?
They all look identical until you look at numbers on the chips. In particular, some have the Atmel 8AU and some the Atmel 16AU. I understood that to be a speed rating, and that 8s will often run at 16 but some won't, but that's about as far as I really understand them. I work in the software industry, so I've been looking at the source code (and enjoying it), but I'm a rank amatuer when it comes to electronics. I can wire a house, but I wouldn't know an external oscillator from an extroverted ocelot.

Edit: The FETs all look the same to the naked eye, but the pattern of which legs are bridged is not consistent from one ESC to the next.
5th is online now Find More Posts by 5th
Last edited by 5th; May 03, 2013 at 11:26 PM.