Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:23 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider013 View Post
Wow, what a PIA,

I killed my steering servo, so I figured, no biggie, I've got a bag full of spare servos.

Not a single ONE had an output shaft that fit the servo saver (which did NOT live up to its same,) so I pulled the output gear from the dead servo and installed it in a ht900 servo.

It works, but things are out of alignment, I didn't check that the top part of the new servo was the same 'height' as the old, it is not, and now the steering mechanism bangs into stuff.

TOUGH, It works, it runs.

well it did for 10 minutes before I, for the first time, broke the front shock tower,

I've got three bags of extra parts for these trucks, I was sure I had a shock tower.

NOPE, and they are back ordered.

does anyone know if some other part will fit, say something from LOSI?

A BIG DITTO
I got a couple of these for my daughter and I but am constantly fixing them, so i got a couple of the 1/16 sized Beetles. Much more durable. I still like these but dang they do break.
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
I figured it was a good cheap intro, and my son loves his, but he really needs a more durable basher.

I almost went for the 1/16 beetles, but I wanted as small as possible so we could run around the house with them.

are the beetles much larger?

Maybe it is time to upgrade.
DragonRider013 is offline Find More Posts by DragonRider013
Last edited by DragonRider013; Dec 23, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:46 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider013 View Post
I figured it was a good cheap intro, and my son loves his, but he really needs a more durable basher.

I almost went for the 1/16 beetles, but I wanted as small as possible so we could run around the house with them.

are the beetles much larger?

Maybe it is time to upgrade.
Yea there a little bit bigger but not much, the parts (IMHO) are of much higher quality and durablity. I don't think you can use either inthe house unless you tone it down via transmitter or you have a very large room or can drive like mario andretti.
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:56 AM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
Honestly my brother has one of the beetles and i semi regret not going with it in the fist place as his is stronger but i enjoy the fixing side of this one aswel but for him (hes 10) its a great thing also with the servo i ended up replacing it with a hxt900 and all i had to do was drill 2 holes further down the main body and it runs like magic. just wondering for future refrence when i make diagrams an stuff for parts im making would you like me to upload the diagrams so you guys can use them aswel or not really?
maddude155 is offline Find More Posts by maddude155
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
diagrams would be great

thanks in advance

are the bug and the short course truck the same thing with different bodies?
DragonRider013 is offline Find More Posts by DragonRider013
Last edited by DragonRider013; Dec 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Just ordered this truck instead of a Mini-T. But I wish the body looked a little more scale like a stadium truck. Anybody have a source for decal headlights or maybe real plastic ones? It looks a little bare up front. And I also want to change the wheels and tires to a desert truck style for road and dirt, I read somewhere that these have just the pin like the rear of the mini T, so I can order 2 pairs of rear mini t wheels and tires, right?

Found some conflicting information. I read somewhere that these have full ball bearings, but here there is talk of metal bushings. full bearings are a must or the parts wear quick and get wobbly. What parts do I need? Does it have any bearings in it at all?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Last edited by shahram72; Jan 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, MN, Hutchinson
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Hobby King has been out of drive couplers forever. Anybody know another source to buy these from?
bronks is online now Find More Posts by bronks
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Got my truck recently. No ball bearings. I ordered the 4x8x3 bearings from ebay as HK is out of them. Gonna leave the gearboxes alone for now. I had to swap two of the ESC wires as it was color coded backwards and thus connected wrong, there was more speed in reverse than forward and the reverse safety kicked in when going forward, not backwards. So I swapped the wires and reversed the channel to fix this. There is lots of slop in the drive axles at the hubs, gonna tighten this up with some small washers. And the difs are REAL tight, so tight I don't think they'll work. Quality control on this car is poor it seems. Would have been a good deal if ti had bearings, but I got what I paid for. I added some headlight decals I had extra of from my son's Duratrax EXT and it looks much better now.

As for couplers, you might as well get another kit, HK is really dropping the ball on restocking stuff. I don't understand why Asian business don't understand at least having the products if quality and customer service is going to be bad.Everything is cheap cheap cheap, and there is no other concept in business but that. That's great, and that's the only reason HK does so well, but they are losing credibility when you can't get cheap parts to fix your cheap RC models. They don't care, don't expect them to. But then again my LHS doesn't have crap in stock either.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Just drove it for the first time. Wow! that little thing is fast. Really too much power for it's size. Don't see why people put 3s in it. Just did one run because I don't want to wear the axles before I install the bearings. It NEEDS oil shocks off road because it bounces around a lot and this makes it lose control. I thought it would not be a big deal on this little toy, but it's needed so I think I'll get those when they're available. This is the perfect size to take on vacation with me. This was my first Lipo in a car so I didn't think much about the balance lead. Well somehow the black wire became severed very close to the plug. It could have touched the back of the plug at either positive and shorted but I got lucky. I have a tiny bit of lead and I'm going to get that pin out of the plug and solder and shrink tube it together. Really need to find some way to velcro strap these things in. I copied the mount of another here and it just flops around in there. It does not fit under the stock strap.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
OK I got my Losi street tires and wheels, they don't fit because the pins are slightly shorter on the Losi models so the longer pins don't quite fit in in the Losi wheels. They look great, look like off road oval racer tires I think. Should be great on the pavement and are chrome plated. I need to either mod the new rims to fit the slightly longer pins or get some losi pins. I will post some pics when I get them on, my 1/18 will look great with chrome street tires and headlights. Would love to mount my 1/10 scale on road tires on it for a low profile 30" rim look but I can't find 12mm hex I am sure will fit.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, MN, Hutchinson
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Hi, does anyone run a HK 300 transmitter? I have one and am trying to set it up for my young son. not quite sure how the dual rates turn on/off for steering and also what is the bottom BR dial under the throttle, I assume brake but what are the settings, is 0 no brake and the full clockwise is full brake? any help is appreciated.
bronks is online now Find More Posts by bronks
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, CA, Hesperia
Joined Dec 2011
263 Posts
HPI Savage Flux 2350 "Action Amazing SHOTS!! Bashing Helicopter!! witespy (2 min 34 sec)
thehaw24 is offline Find More Posts by thehaw24
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Cool vid, I really want a quadcopter, but I already have too large a backlog of RC projects!

I'm still looking for the size of the ball bearings for the drive axles at the gearbox. should be 6 bearings. I already have wheel hub bearings ordered.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
OK, here is my 118B with Losi Mini sprint wheels and tires and blue anodized nuts. I had to use a shorter drive pin as the stock are a bit too long, and the axles are a bit short so the nuts tighten but don't go all the way to the nylon so I might lose the nuts. Have to check them every run. Also I had some extra headlight decals from my sons's Duratrax Evader so I stuck those on. Looks much better now! A little big, but it needed something up there. Too drab!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Ahh, I'm in here talking to myself it seems. Well, one day someone will read all my info and it will help them. As cool as those wheels and tires looked, the experiment was a failure. They don't grip as well as I thought and the torque from the drive line makes the car really go sideways upon hard acceleration. I got better at it, but before I even did in the first battery, I lost a lugnut and the wheel came off, losing the smaller losi pin. So the new tires came off and back went the old ones, which really have better grip on the street. So I ordered a second set of tires for the dirt. Anybody want to buy these? I'm really disappointed, they looked great on the car.