SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:18 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
From the videos everyone is flying 5mins on 4cell 2200mah. Thats useually what I fly on my 47in planes. Im gonna stick to that untill I upgrade to more power if I want it. I useually fly with less power than most people like but I am at sealevel here.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:44 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
Spouny-
Thank you for those pictures. I completed my build, had some pizza and a beer then broke out my Dremel with a sanding drum to accommodate my 3300 Nano-Techs that I use in my FMS P-51.
I'm looking forward to my maiden of this plane.

some images of my Tailgear, The MX2 next to my SM 90mm AlphaJet, FMS P-51 & peak Amperage and Wattage reading from a static Runup from a 3300mAh 4s Nano-Tech battery from a full balance charge.

Thanks Again!
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:51 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
I see I wasn't alone in pulling 55amps and above.....a little worrying when they put a 45amp ESC in the plane......

With my new prop and motor, I am pulling about the same, although I haven't yet measured it with the 60amp ESC in there.....it should of course be the same...but lets try it and see.
Luke Warmwater is offline Find More Posts by Luke Warmwater
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:22 AM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
so some people are pulling 800+ watts and others only 600.
Its likely some have a 600kv motor and others a 700kv.
800+ watts is good for 3d on this weight class but 600 is like the min.
what motor comes with the hobbyking plane? 600kv is more of a 5cell motor.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:59 AM
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSLow2Care View Post
That would be great!! I have some pre-bent 'Z' wires that are 3-4mm too long & I can't figure how to attach the control horns to the rudder.

Thank you for posting a picture if you're going to have time tonight. It will probably solve all of my issues & confusion.

Cheers,
Brian
Here's what I've got from HobbyKing..
Abib is offline Find More Posts by Abib
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Hey guys!

I have already canceled the order of this plane from bananahobby because it was not available in the color I ordered. Now I see that it is cheaper in US hobbyking. But theres something that in coming to my mind now... this plane wing and elevator surfaces are not in the same level related to the fuselage. I mean, the elevator is at a higher level than the main wing. I mean, not like the yak 54 Ive seen. I have heard from some people that this wing/elevator at the same level configuration is better for hover, Isnt it?

Do anyone here knows about a floam plane like this 55" wing size that has the same characteristic of a yak 54 at a good price?

Hope there is?
Oscar J is offline Find More Posts by Oscar J
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
If you go over $200 you get free shipping from hobbyking usa warehouse. Saves you $16
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar J View Post
Hey guys!

I have already canceled the order of this plane from bananahobby because it was not available in the color I ordered. Now I see that it is cheaper in US hobbyking. But theres something that in coming to my mind now... this plane wing and elevator surfaces are not in the same level related to the fuselage. I mean, the elevator is at a higher level than the main wing. I mean, not like the yak 54 Ive seen. I have heard from some people that this wing/elevator at the same level configuration is better for hover, Isnt it?

Do anyone here knows about a floam plane like this 55" wing size that has the same characteristic of a yak 54 at a good price?

Hope there is?
I havent heard that. If anything I would think that having the elevator in line with the ailerons would make the elevator less effective. Since its airflow is interupted by aileron deflection.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:50 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
If you go over $200 you get free shipping from hobbyking usa warehouse. Saves you $16
Great... Just what I need. More knee give to spend the money I don't have. Ha ha ha, I'll just blame you when my girl gets angy at me. It is the same mentality. she says: 'but I got it on sale'. We say 'I got free shipping'

I second that aerodynamic theory. Elevators are more efficient if they are out of the turbulated air from the ailerons. This is why the F-16, Bae Hawk, Alpha Jet, etc have negative dihedral to their elevators. To put the outer third (maximum effect occurs out there) in the 'clean' airstream.

Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by TooSLow2Care; Jun 22, 2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Wrong their. There, all fixed
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Nice to hear this aileron point guys, it makes sense! I will go for the mx2, and I think it is even cheaper, about $142.00(the mint green one) and Im not sure but maybe a dollar or nothing to pay for shipping if you go over a $100.00 in your purchase.

But please, leave me one of them... I have to wait few days for the bananahobby refund.

Thanks for your comments!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:50 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
so some people are pulling 800+ watts and others only 600.
Its likely some have a 600kv motor and others a 700kv.
800+ watts is good for 3d on this weight class but 600 is like the min.
what motor comes with the hobbyking plane? 600kv is more of a 5cell motor.
for informational purposes:
I put my Kv meter to the StarMax MX2 that I purchased from HobbyKing this evening after work.

my motor is running 742Kv at peak and it was getting around 11,800RPM from the same 3300mAh 4S Nano-Tech battery.

the weather is not the best right now here in the S.Shore of MA... i'm itching to maiden this plane.

cheers,
Brian
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined Sep 2004
3 Posts
Hobbyking MX2

Just a Thought with some modelers saying the Battery gets hot.
I put holes in bottom of fus keeps battery alot cooler.
GUSNZ is offline Find More Posts by GUSNZ
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Hey Guys!

Any proven propeller that helps on doing hover on mx2? Is the stock one ok? Or is there a better one? (I dont care too much about speed, actually I dont like speed on planes.)
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:01 PM
Joined Oct 2005
8 Posts
Tail Wheel and rudder problem

Hi, i got a problem on mine, the hobbyking s version. The tail wheel driving system doesn t seem to fit very well. It causes the bottom part of the rudder to slide one the sides when rudder servo is put in motion. The rudder doEsn t keep in track as the lower part is not hinged. So I m asking if any of you had this pb fixed?
I tried to lower/raise the tail gear or even bend the push/pull wires to make the direction softer but it didn t worked as expected...
Any suggestion? Thks.
rurouni is offline Find More Posts by rurouni
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:58 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,503 Posts
Received my MX2 today. Nice looking plane. The instructions are borderline useless but fortunately it's pretty straight forward to put it together and the pictures posted here previously are going to be a big help. Thanks to all those that posted some.

The landing gear weighs a ton! If the plane survives a few flights and flies OK, some CF landing gear may be in it's future.

The wing tube seems really heavy too, so I may consider replacing that as well.

Also, the pushrods are fairly heavy, CF pushrods would help reduce some weight there too. The hinges are junk, broke one of the elevator hinges flexing it. So I guess I'll be replacing most of those.

The horizontal stabilizer looks like it needs a bit of CF reinforcement. Also, the elevator is pretty small, can't see getting much 3D action with it, but I'll reserve judgement until I get it up and flying.

It'll probably take me a few evenings to get it together. It's not nearly as completely built as my Carbon-Z is, but it's not too bad and it's 1/2 the price. I think that if HK charged a bit more and replaced all the heavy parts with lighter higher quality parts, this plane would probably be a winner. As it is (and without having flown it), it looks like a nice sport/aerobatic plane, but no way, out of the box, can this bird be called a 3D machine.

Even with my above criticisms, it sure is a nice looking plane.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag