HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2011, 07:57 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben82 View Post
I'm with you on that one Steve I've tried various other props and very much prefer the speed from the stock prop.

Whilest on the subject of props has anyone got ideas on a prop to get more speed on the stock setup. My guess would be that your probably limited as the power 15 is 950 Kv
You could try a similar diameter prop and go up 1/2-1" in pitch for more speed, such as an APC electric 11x10", or 10x10" prop. Watch your current (AMP) usage though on higher pitch props, they will draw more power, just make sure you don't go above the stock ESC's 30 Amp rating.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 05:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Have only used the 11x7 as I broke the original on the maiden flight crash. The 11x7 was one I had sitting around and it did the job. Will try a few different props once I get comfortable with the plane. At this stage am satisfied with the speed. Would imagine a power 25 setup would really get things moving
Yeh thats something i'm thinking about doing down the track, upgrading the motor & ESC. The power 25 setup i think is in the Carbon Z Yak which runs a 4s 2800mAh Battery. That would be an absolute rocket!
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old May 17, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Parkzone P-47 Thunderbolt BNF + Retracts & LED lights

Hey guys,
If anyone is interested I have my PZ P-47 for sale on ebay.

Item No. #180665300638

Cheers
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old May 23, 2011, 04:02 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Very Happy Owner Here

OK Yeh there is alot of squabble about the wings being flat but that has'nt affected the way mine fly at all. Yes I am kinda new to the hobby of r/c airplanes but I already hae 5 full size park flyers and 5 micros to my credit. I do admit that they are more challenging to fly compared to my T-28D but thats what my PC Simulator is for, Practice,Practice Ect... Still nothing like the real thing though, my nerves still rattle a little while flying my extra 300, I have 2 of them.I Crashed 1 already but bought all new parts and "Whalla" just like new again. I use 20c 2200 MAH 3s lipos and the stock ESCs, seems to work just fine.Heres a pic of both of them together, Enjoy...
LEGENDRIVER is offline Find More Posts by LEGENDRIVER
Old May 23, 2011, 04:10 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,087 Posts
Gettin a nice collection there!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old May 23, 2011, 04:36 AM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGENDRIVER View Post
OK Yeh there is alot of squabble about the wings being flat but that has'nt affected the way mine fly at all. Yes I am kinda new to the hobby of r/c airplanes but I already hae 5 full size park flyers and 5 micros to my credit. I do admit that they are more challenging to fly compared to my T-28D but thats what my PC Simulator is for, Practice,Practice Ect... Still nothing like the real thing though, my nerves still rattle a little while flying my extra 300, I have 2 of them.I Crashed 1 already but bought all new parts and "Whalla" just like new again. I use 20c 2200 MAH 3s lipos and the stock ESCs, seems to work just fine.Heres a pic of both of them together, Enjoy...
That is a nice looking squadron. I love my 300 too. I crashed it as well just glued it back together. Does not look as pretty as the day I bought it but it flies just the same.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old May 23, 2011, 05:47 AM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGENDRIVER View Post
not squabble...fact!! i actually got a set of wings sent from the factory to test, they wer perfectly symmetrical like on the box and the plane flew so much better! i mean chalk and cheese!

Trust me, perfectly symmetrical wings make a difference...but if ur happy how it is then just get out and enjoy it!!!

This plane wasnt for me...so I sold it. bought 2 planes from HK for the same price as this one
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old May 26, 2011, 11:13 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Well......just chalked up my 20th flight on the Extra. After a less than perfect maiden flight I now love this plane. Flew it today in 12-15mph winds without any issue. The wind barely effects it. Have now moved the 2200mAH battery back 3/4 inch to a position level with strap and increased throws on ailerons. Very happy!!! :-)
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old May 26, 2011, 06:44 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Just an idea if someone has a spare Extra or set of wings, some servos, at least a 6Ch Rx and wants to get creative. I have been curious if one could split the aileron, add 2 servos so you can have a flap option. With a 7Ch radio and 6Ch Rx, you could set up the inner ailerons to move with the outer ailerons for a full length aileron, flip a switch and then have flaps with the inner ailerons. One could also add some crow, or possibly inner aileron to elevator mixing with much less chance of a tip stall.

I think full length ailerons and inner flaps would be possible with a 6Ch Tx, but after that I am not sure what would be possible.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old May 26, 2011, 10:21 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,311 Posts
It could be done, but you nee 7 channels not 6:

Throttle
Elevator
Rudder
Aileron 1
aileron 2
flaperon 1
flaperon 2

to do it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
Just an idea if someone has a spare Extra or set of wings, some servos, at least a 6Ch Rx and wants to get creative. I have been curious if one could split the aileron, add 2 servos so you can have a flap option. With a 7Ch radio and 6Ch Rx, you could set up the inner ailerons to move with the outer ailerons for a full length aileron, flip a switch and then have flaps with the inner ailerons. One could also add some crow, or possibly inner aileron to elevator mixing with much less chance of a tip stall.

I think full length ailerons and inner flaps would be possible with a 6Ch Tx, but after that I am not sure what would be possible.
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Old May 27, 2011, 12:23 PM
United States, NC, Huntersville
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post

Why not just mix flapperons? Save the weight of the hardware along with the extra servo. Flapperons would actually be more affective.

I did that with my 3D nitro plane and it worked great.

Steve
Steve91t is offline Find More Posts by Steve91t
Old May 27, 2011, 12:32 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91t View Post
Why not just mix flapperons? Save the weight of the hardware along with the extra servo. Flapperons would actually be more affective.
I say why not just land the plane normally? If you aren't trying to dead stick land it like a PZ T-28 there is no problem...
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old May 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
I say why not just land the plane normally? If you aren't trying to dead stick land it like a PZ T-28 there is no problem...
On a calm day its fairly easy, but when there is wind I found myself using more throttle to force it down. With the help of spoilerons I can use less throttle and sink rate is faster.
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old May 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,311 Posts
I'm using spoilerons to bring it in. ~15% I bring it in HOT and then use the spoilers to reduce lift and fly it down. I'm going to add a 3rd position spoileron for air breaks so once i'm down I can hit the breaks.
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Old May 27, 2011, 08:49 PM
Australia, WA, Aubin Grove
Joined Oct 2010
79 Posts
I really dont understand all the talk about landing I chop the throtle halfway through my base leg, turn to final and bring her in. Sometimes if there is a bit of breeze I will give it a few blips on the throtle during final.
Ben82 is offline Find More Posts by Ben82