New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by marmalade1
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Sep 2013
117 Posts
Discussion
Happy to land

During my 2nd pleasant flight today I was alarmed to notice a fluttering aileron - really fluttering.

The plane, a Value Hobby Stylus 60 (read: excellent 4 Star 60 copy) has dozens of flights on it and uses some very easy to use CA hinges; they are stiff and insert easily with no hint of delamination that 'easy hinges' seem so keen to do. However, they failed. 4 of 5 on the right aileron(!). I think the severe throws that I've grown fond of are partly to blame.

My question is, what are the chances of a CA recement working? Should I roughen/pierce them? Them perhaps use epoxy? Pins? All of the above?

Of course I'll test all other hinges, especially the elevator.

What works?
marmalade1 is offline Find More Posts by marmalade1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2015, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by redh
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
1,021 Posts
Once a CA hinge has " wicked " it will NOT wick enough again to be safe. Best to replace them or figure some other way to make them safe . Pinning can help. If pinning I use tooth picks and trim them off after hitting them with CA to keep them in place . ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by marmalade1
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Sep 2013
117 Posts
Just the sort of advice I was looking for.
Thanks.
PD
marmalade1 is offline Find More Posts by marmalade1