71 Posts
New Product
Dynamic tilting arms 330 racer multirotor

2015-05-10 - SITE IS LIVE!!!

www.tiltdrone.com

Shop: http://tilt-drone.myshopify.com/

##################################################

Hi guys,

After long time playing with the idea of a tilting arms multirotor concept and several proof-of-concept prototype tests (see Youtube vid below) we're ready to show you what's coming guys: a tough, sleek, aerodynamic, efficient and fast (super fast!) tilting arms multirotor the TILT.

Unlike traditional frames that tilt the whole body to acquire forward and lateral velocity, rotating the arms provides greater performance:

- Less mass to move to acquire forward velocity: higher acceleration

- Better aerodynamics (especially with a well-designed canopy): higher top speed

- And more to come

We started from the ground up, (literally, EVERYTHING has been assumed it can be improved) and we've re-designed the preliminary system shown in the Youtube video (see attached pictures) to exploit new materials and manufacturing technologies for a tough hybrid frame made of 3D printed carbon fiber/polyester blend and traditional CF 3K woven plates and tubes. Other materials are being reviewed to reach a much better toughness but still weight contained overall system.

We can say we are in right track for releasing soon a commercial tilting arms multirotor with improved design, aesthetics, aerodynamics and speed. EDIT (May 2015): we do already sell our TILT racer in two version at www.tiltdrone.com

Main specs (being expanded and will update them:

- Dynamic tilting arms system designed for reliability, simplicity while lightweight.

- 330 system for up to 7 in props. Can use bigger props just changing the woven CF arm tubes (standard D16 mm tubes in the current version, tougher arms coming).

- Low profile, super tough hybrid frame (3D printed CF + regular woven CF plates). We won't compromise on this, this system must be fast and tough! Extra rigidfiers not shown in the pic below

- Front and back replaceable plates. They are being designed to absorb as much energy as possible in case of a crash. They will allow for mounting different things like different cameras.

- Motor mounts ready for X8 configuration

- Battery tray system that avoids continuous CoG balance everytime you change the battery, even if they are different.

- Aerodynamic canopy to reduce drag and protect the system.

The tilting system is governed by an open source code that anyone will be able to tune (although it will come with pre-defined modes for those not wishing to modify it). EDIT (April 2015): the tilting arms system is governed by Cleanflight on Naze32 boards

Keep an eye here, we'll be posting the development and (probably next week) a maiden of the new system!
Astrus_STHLM is offline Find More Posts by Astrus_STHLM
Last edited by Astrus_STHLM; May 21, 2015 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2015, 03:20 AM
Find More Posts by Astrus_STHLM
INKONOVA
Sweden, Stockholm County, Stockholm
Joined Nov 2013
71 Posts
(reserved for updates)

##############################################

The frame is basically finished and with the motors mounted. The actual setup is a 330 motor to motor (can obviously be modified changing the CF tubes) and for fit purposes in the pics I mounted 7x4.5 HQ props. Who knows, I might actually give it a shot with this combination: Cobras 2208 2000kv and 7x4.5 props on 4S... Let's see!

I must say it feels indestructible and tough, crash tests will confirm that or provide information for improvements. Can't wait...

Verifying of CoG within a certain 4S batteries' range (2200 to 2700 mAh) and for Mobius and GoPro cameras. Deviations from those capacities will still be possible of course. Now we can design the canopy around the system. Canopy coming soon....

All the mechanics finished: battery trays with logo, top rigidifier and antenna, cameras and servo supports. It's damn stiff but tough (tests will confirm that. Tomorrow is electronics' time and maiden afterwards.

13th March 2015: Today I've maidened the quadcopter indoors and worked great. Even no jello at all with the Mobius directly on the frame. This weekend the real maiden. Will post videos as soon as they are ready.

Maiden flight video is finally ready. More to come: improvements, new features...

The 'Tilt', a dynamic tilting arms 3D printed quadcopter racer - Maiden flight (3 min 7 sec)

First speed tests! Soon better, detailed, video and more accurate results but first passes were between 90 and 110 km/h (56 to 68 mph)

The TILT, a dynamic tilting arms quadcopter - Speed tests trailer (0 min 47 sec)

PDB ver. 1.0 ready for prototyping! (see images below)

Soon impact tests of different materials to assess best material choices (see images below)

108 km/h (67 mph) in first preliminary tests of our 330 racer

The TILT: a dynamic tilting arms, 330 quad - Speed tests: 108 km/h (67 mph) (1 min 13 sec)
Last edited by Astrus_STHLM; Apr 05, 2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 04:02 AM
Find More Posts by patricklupo
Joined Jul 2009
1,425 Posts
Hi Astrus,

I previously built a tilt H quad based on 8x4.5 props and 1200Kv motors; with an Arduino Nano to intercept elevator input & manage the tilt servo. The code allowed for 3 modes Auto level, Rate mode and Tilt with a variable channel enabling the quad to hover or fly while tilted independently. It worked quite well functionally but in the end I abandoned the idea and removed the tilt mechanism. While it provided wow factor, it didn't fly as well as I wanted (at least via FPV) and created some undesirable flight behavior.

One of them being that (due to the nature of accelerometers) the quad would still tilt forward or backward during acceleration or deceleration; even when the flight controller was fed a fixed 1500uS neutral elevator input while only servos tilted. I was able to counter some of it in Arduino code by having the elevator signal pitch the flight controller backward, to compensate for forward servo tilt.

With that said, one thing that did work well was to simply have the tilt servo on a knob or 3-pos while flying the copter in rate (gyro) mode. That way it could fly fast forward with camera more level, but then return back to upright motors for slower flight or during take-off/landing. Along those lines though, 2 servos could provide more stable tilt and roll camera stabilization via a Super Simple Gimbal on a mini quad like this mod.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Mar 05, 2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 05:26 AM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
4,799 Posts
pretty cool! how does that compare with something like a Stingray?
Waterbound is online now Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Mar 05, 2015, 06:45 AM
INKONOVA
Joined Nov 2013
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Hi Astrus,

I previously built a tilt H quad based on 8x4.5 props and 1200Kv motors; with an Arduino Nano to intercept elevator input & manage the tilt servo. The code allowed for 3 modes Auto level, Rate mode and Tilt with a variable channel enabling the quad to hover or fly while tilted independently. It worked quite well functionally but in the end I abandoned the idea and removed the tilt mechanism. While it provided wow factor, it didn't fly as well as I wanted (at least via FPV) and created some undesirable flight behavior.

One of them being that (due to the nature of accelerometers) the quad would still tilt forward or backward during acceleration or deceleration; even when the flight controller was fed a fixed 1500uS neutral elevator input while only servos tilted. I was able to counter some of it in Arduino code by having the elevator signal pitch the flight controller backward, to compensate for forward servo tilt.
The system I'm presenting actually works in a similar way than yours but we are taking great care on precisely that, the flight dynamics. The tests so far are promising and we have people dedicated to the code alone. Thanks for your feedback, it is highly appreciated.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 06:48 AM
INKONOVA
Joined Nov 2013
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound View Post
pretty cool! how does that compare with something like a Stingray?
Thanks. It actually has nothing to do with Stingray. Stingray uses single motor to power all four rotors and gets pitch, roll and yaw control via collective pitch like in traditional helicopters.

I'm actually a bit surprised (and disappointed to some extend) that I don't see much on Stingray lately.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by ecks
Knowledge prevents flyaways
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
3,348 Posts
Very nice job! Cant wait to see how it flies!
ecks is online now Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2015, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by surf1punk
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
535 Posts
Subbed, I'm interested in seeing how this goes! I was literally just talking with some friends about this same concept only 4-5 weeks ago. Good luck!
surf1punk is offline Find More Posts by surf1punk
Old Mar 05, 2015, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by Phantom604
The Ground is the Limit
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2013
1,103 Posts
Totally looking forward to your frame and flying characteristics.

V22 Osprey Documentary (44 min 54 sec)

iQuad Tilt-Rotor Quadcopter (v2) Flight Testing (3 min 43 sec)
Phantom604 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom604
Old Mar 06, 2015, 02:09 AM
Find More Posts by teslahed
Joined Jul 2008
645 Posts
I think that for high speed tilted motor based stunt flying you really want to be in rate mode so as not to confuse the accelerometers.

Failing that use a naze32 and try altering the Z axis tilt in the GUI to match the motor tilt. That might help.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Mar 06, 2015, 03:32 AM
Find More Posts by Bilox
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,296 Posts
I'm almost finished something similar too
looks like we all had a great idea!
Bilox is online now Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Mar 06, 2015, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
4,799 Posts
interesting, I didn't know that
thanks for the info, I'm clueless with that type of architecture and your design is fantastic!
Waterbound is online now Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Mar 08, 2015, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by Akura2
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,880 Posts
this is what I did for a canopy for my 450-sized quad... it's a team losi TLR22 body

Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Mar 08, 2015, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by wanderzell
Estonia, Harju County, Tallinn
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
Wow mates, cool project! I like the concept, also the way you designed the frame - being wide and flat but at the same cleared the props.

What kind of FC platform is it going to use? Do you have completely your own FW for this? What will be the control logic from the pilots perspective? Are you planning to use elevator stick for tilt, or rather a separate control, such as a knob?

Trying to imagine the best way how to fly this thing, then a knob for tilt would be it. Then fly it in regular acro mode. Alternative flight mode could be an "attitude" mode where elevator is used to control the tilt. But that probably wouldn't allow too much control over the aircraft attitude and be thus less interesting option. But then again, this mode would become interesting if it worked the way of APM "Drift" mode - elevator stick is speed, aileron is rudder/roll combined.

Keep us posted. And let know if you need a test pilot
wanderzell is offline Find More Posts by wanderzell
Old Mar 08, 2015, 05:34 PM
INKONOVA
Joined Nov 2013
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
this is what I did for a canopy for my 450-sized quad... it's a team losi TLR22 body

Very cool! I also thought about an existing canopy (I come from off-road 1/8 Gas competitions and that crossed my mind) but we plan to exploit the aerodynamics as much as possible and most car canopies, are not that aerodynamic. Let's see though!