Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
Discussion
Flitework Pilatus PC-6 Turbo Porter

I stumbled across this awesome aircraft a few days ago but really haven't found much info on the web! We can buy it in the US through Tower here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LL1069

And the manufacturer's website is found here:

http://en.flitework.at/pilatuspc6.html

And this just looks like a sweet big electric plane!! I'm not super enthused about the paint scheme but the plane... the plane is what gets me. The size and scale of it is too cool. I'm seriously considering buying it soon but I was just wondering if anyone knows anything more about it?

SPECIFICATIONS:

Wingspan: 86.6" (2200mm)
Length: 76.7" (1950mm)
Weight: 10.9lbs (4950g)
Wing Area: 1762 sq in (113.8 sq dm)
Wing Loading: 12.62 oz/sq ft (38.5g sq dm)

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2014, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,249 Posts
Looks nice. My only comment would be that flying it on 6S isn't going to give sufficient power for towing sailplanes - 10S would be better. Porters look cool and fly well - I have a 3.2m electric one that tows big sailplanes and flies like a trainer.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Dec 09, 2014, 09:46 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
Oh absolutely. I had a Senior Telemaster on 6S at one point and the power was mediocre. I usually bump most me planes up a cell or two anyways as I fly at higher altitudes and it seems to help a lot. My plan is two 4S packs in series to start out with and go from there.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
4,216 Posts
Hopefully I'm getting one.

If you dig around, you'll find that power system they recommend, that Tower doesn't have yet but looks like they are getting at some point, uses a belt drive reduction. So don't count out 6S just yet
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,228 Posts
IMHO this plane would fly great on 6S if you used a premium, high efficiency motor like the Scorpion 4025-12 (440kv). This will deliver 1420 w @58a on 6s with a 15/8/3 bladed EMP prop.
If more thrust is needed go to a 16/8/ 3blade EMP prop or a Zoar of the same size(approx. 75s/1700. My 15 lb plane flew great with this setup during 8 minute flights. fwiw Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:13 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
The current motor that I have and plan on using for this plane would be the Eflite Power 90. It has hauled big Telemasters, a P-51, and something else I can't remember but they were all 10lbs+ planes and it did really well. I think I have a 100A Castle ESC powering it. 6S might work good, I'm hoping so cause it would really help keep battery costs down as I can fly two other planes on 6S.

Eric
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:15 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey View Post
Hopefully I'm getting one.
Sweet! Let us know if you do and some pictures/feedback would be awesome!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,228 Posts
The Power 90 has too low a KV for 6S. You have to match prop size to kv to get desired effects.
Kv should be between 400-450 for 3 bladed props in the 15-17 range on 6S. Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jan 04, 2015, 03:30 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
Ordered mine today thanks to the quick review found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2309660
Old Jan 08, 2015, 09:36 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
I should get mine tomorrow. I figure I'll just post pics and whatnot here as I already started this discussion and its not like its a kit so a build log seems unnecessary.

So to start of with, I'm not a fan of the Red Bulls scheme. Its not bad, but I feel like I'm advertising for them and I'd really rather not. I've ripped off many coloring schemes from ARFs in the past and while I've rarely regretted it, it is a TON of work. Therefore, I think this time I may just stick with the stock scheme and start detailing it up from there.... rather than start from scratch, recover, buy or make custom decals, and 100s of dollars and hours later be at the point of where the ARF starts at lol. Here are some pics of the real one in action and I think I'll use these to improve and/or add more details to the model.

Eric
Old Jan 08, 2015, 09:39 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
I'll also do a mini review as well I suppose as there seems to be very little on the web about anyone building/flying one of these as soon as I get it.
Old Jan 09, 2015, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,571 Posts
I had one of these, I flew it on a Axi 5330/18 and 8S, prop was a 4 blade 17.9" Varioprop. Good enough performance for general flying but it would have been nice with a bit more oomph if I where to use it for towing, would have gone 10S for that. It did pull around 70A on 8S, so the motor would have done 10S without breaking a sweat.

Coolest thing ever with this plane was doing slow flybys on full flaps. Needs a lot of downtrim with 60 degree flaps btw.

One thing I needed to beef up was the top mount for the shocks, I added a 3mm thick carbonfiber plate to the inside of the fuselage sides after having a mishap on a slightly bouncy landing. Also swapped out the included wheels(much to small and narrow) for a set of Dubro 1/4 Cub wheels.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Jan 09, 2015, 08:50 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
Very cool man. I will take note of what you said and already I am going to add bigger tires I think. One of the main reasons I bought this was for rougher field conditions with the ice and snow here in the winter, mud in the spring, and overall STOL capabilities!

So I just opened up the box 10 minutes ago and my first impression is that I'm impressed. It was packaged extremely well and seems to be well constructed, well finished, and also pretty lightly constructed which is what impressed me most I think. I've bought some ARFs that were flying bricks. Its far too early to tell if my feelings will remain positive as I dig into it and see what we really got here but so far so good!

Some quick pics of the unboxing.

Eric
Old Jan 09, 2015, 10:08 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
Hmm... first issue I have are these "CNC Machined" parts. Now I may be more picky than the average flyer being a CNC Machinist myself but there is an acceptable level of roughness and then there is just shoddy work. I do understand that parts are not going to be flawless due to cost, not necessary, etc.... but I will try and explain why I'm annoyed.

Note the smaller part on the right. Its not flawless, but its more than acceptable for what it is. No complaints whatsoever on that part. This is what I'd expect from a CNC machined part. Note the edges are chamfered and the finish is smooth.

Then look at the bigger parts. The one in the back has a rough edge on the outline and the small holes on the bottom are clearly chamfered by hand, NOT with a CNC machine. This isn't a huge issue but is somewhat sloppy work.

Now I will get to the biggest issue of all. The front left part. All the edges are fairly rough and none seem to be chamfered by the cnc mill that made them. Also the bored holes for which I assume the gear pivot in are extremely rough around the edges because someone didn't bother to chamfer them. That is the biggest mistake and biggest issue I have with the machined aluminum parts so far and I haven't even gotten to the main gear yet.

I will probably be bringing in some parts to work and finishing them up properly...

All this being said though, these are still TEN THOUSAND times better than cheap chinese plastic junk that passes for landing gear these days!

Eric
Old Jan 09, 2015, 10:15 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,338 Posts
Here are what CNC machined parts should look like. Damn near flawless. A machine made them, so they should be. Anything less is lazy and poor quality workmanship.

Eric