SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2015, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by DeLaReef123
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Mar 2014
250 Posts
Neil, my experience has been pretty positive when it comes to flying at new fields. If you know it’s the right place then I would fly even if someone else isn't there. Having your AMA card with you would be a plus - oh wait do you all have AMA in Canada? Or whatever the equivalent is in Canada. Someone will eventually show up and I doubt highly like a comrade in the hobby is going to chase you out. So have at it! Plus if you show up with your Waco they wouldn’t want to pass on seeing that baby fly.

I fly at two different fields. One that allows IC and one that is all electric. I go to the all-electric power on the weekend because the IC field is crazy and the bigger planes and IC noise kinda bothers me after a while. I do go to the IC field on the weekdays because there is a smaller group of us and tends to be more electric. In fact flew at that field today to maiden the hawk.
I’ll post a video shortly.
DeLaReef123 is offline Find More Posts by DeLaReef123
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2015, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by DeLaReef123
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Mar 2014
250 Posts
Maiden of the GP P6e Hawk .60

So the maiden went AWESOME! The Hawk tracked real nice and there was plenty of power for scale type flying. I thought I would post a video here since you and staggerflyer were supper helpful with my questions on the motor/esc options and itís a great planes model similar to your Waco. In the end, I am leaning a little more on staggerís approach. I could calculate until the cows came home but you tend to just feel it when testing on the plane. I still feel comfortable with applying the 100watts per/pound rule.

Final set up.
  • 6S 4500mah
  • RimFire .80
  • Castle 75amp ESC
  • Approx. 14lbs all up weight

Bench tests Ė WOT
  • Watts = 1500
  • Amp = 74 peak

I will say that I am going to swap out the 75A esc. Itís a little old and was peaking right at 75a. Additionally there was a strange noise that seemed ESC related during the first flight. Everything came down just a little warm but I am going to go with a 100A esc that I have just to be safe.

Here is the video- Take off is at the 2:00 min mark. Thanks again guys. And Neil I have a feeling I will be getting a present from Santa before I see your Waco fly!

Joe's Hawk test flight (6 min 54 sec)
DeLaReef123 is offline Find More Posts by DeLaReef123
Old May 29, 2015, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,373 Posts
A big congratulations on a beautiful and successful maiden! I must admit my knees almost started to knock on the final, and nice save on the roll out. Hitting the chain link fence would have been messy.

We have MAAC up here, Model Aeronautics‎ Assoc Canada. Membership is a must to fly at any club up here. This group of electric flyers has about 8 members. A very small group where most of them are pattern flyers. I stopped by last year when they were hosting an event and introduced myself but stupidly neglected to get a contact number. I've been by the field a dozen or more times this year and have seen no one there yet to establish a membership. All in good time though.

I need to get something airborne here at home. Just can't seem to find any spare time when it's not windy. Was hoping to get the Dynam WACO in the air for some practice before taking the GP version up.

Neil
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Jun 11, 2015, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,373 Posts
No updates on the WACO. Been so damn busy lately that between the crappy weather on my days off and work, I just cannot seem to connect with anyone at the flying club I need to join. Anyway, this is just as good.

This past Sunday was the day I got to spend some time in the cockpit of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's PT-17 Stearman Kaydet. Great experience, even got to fly it for about 10 minutes.

Managed a few minutes of Go-Pro video while in the cockpit, will post later when I get it edited.
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder