Old Oct 05, 2007, 01:44 AM
Pilot error is a myth
Karachi, Pakistan
Joined Aug 2007
279 Posts
Discussion
Had My First Flight!

Hi all,

well yesterday i had my first flight on the club trainer. Well the instructor did the takeoffs and landings, but he gave me control in the air and made me do circuits in the air.

While it was a new experience, i didn't get any thrills nor was i jumping with joy. Could it be that this hobby is not for me? or is it too soon to tell? What is the kick that you get from this hobby?

a) building something with your own hands and then seeing it fly?
b) doing stunts?
c) seeing a scale model of your favourite plane up in the air?

I must say that i have never ever built anything. i do have an ARF kit lying around which i haven't opened as yet (a sky raider Mk1). still looking around the house for an appropriate space to set up shop. and also am afraid to botch up the assembly process. Although the SR MK1 is a very good plane but the instructions that came with it are not as detailed as i would have liked being a complete beginner.

Plus with strong winds here in Karachi, the 40 size trainer seemed slow and looked more like a heli right after takeoff. Should i go for a 90 size plane then after i am done with a trainer?

jazi
jazi is offline Find More Posts by jazi
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2007, 02:23 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,436 Posts
We were talking about this at the club the other day, as I was doing simple circuits and another flyer next to me was doing all sorts of clever manouevres. I fall into categories (a) and (c) -- I find flying very relaxing, but most of my time is spent building

Until you become proficient enough to do your own landings and takeoffs, learning to fly can be very boring. You'll be going round in circles until your instructor believes that (a) you are gentle enough with your stick inputs so that the model flies smoothly and (b) that you no longer have to think about which way to move the stick when the model is going away from you or coming towards you. On a windy day it can be very frustrating because neither you nor your instructor can be sure if the plane moved because of your control input or because a gust of wind got it

I'm afraid only you can tell if model flying is for you, but I can promise you it will get more interesting once you've mastered the basics

A larger trainer will handle the wind better. The only disadvantages I can think of are (a) it might not fit in your car and (b) it's usually a much greater cost when you crash it
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Oct 05, 2007, 08:03 AM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
Jazi, another advantage I find in flying RC is the company. All of the guys who fly at our field are intelligent and interesting. Many of them have worked in the airline industry and have some great stories to tell, and others are world travelers and have their own share of interesting stories. It's also a challange to really fine tune your plane. Once you get some experience at flying you'll be able to trim fly your own model and fine tune your engine to get the most out of it, and find the right propeller for the best performance. There's still lots for you to learn, and depending on what you're looking for, this hobby can become very, very interesting.
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Oct 05, 2007, 11:28 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazi
I didn't get any thrills nor was i jumping with joy. Could it be that this hobby is not for me? or is it too soon to tell? What is the kick that you get from this hobby?
What WERE you expecting ?

There are many levels of *thrills* and *kicks*.

Do you remember learning to ride your first bicycle ?

I still remember my first flights (full scale) and it scared the heck out of me. Then it became fun, until I had to fly solo ... Scared the heck out of me again. Did I have a thrill ? Uhmmm ... No ... I had a job to do !!
But I love doing it now.

Same with flying model airplanes. My first one was, *so so* (a very long time ago, but I still remember, so it must have made an impression on me), then I built my first one and that was really fun, but also really scary, since, even after my instructor checked it out fully and flight trimmed it, I was not sure if I was able to do the same thing.

So give it some time, especially *stick time*. Be diligent and start fixing and building, and then experience the great satisfaction you get from making something yourself, that really flies. Then teach others and get the same satisfaction again, over and over, when you see them progress.

Life is all about *sharing*, as SKromfols stated. You share your knowledge, you share companionship, you share your possessions (ask anybody here about *when they need a small part* to field-fix anything, and hear what happens).

That should be the thrills you get out of life. I do, and I am sure most everybody here does too.

So stick with your decisions, make the best out of it and let us know how you are doing. We are here to help you.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Oct 05, 2007, 02:00 PM
Pilot error is a myth
Karachi, Pakistan
Joined Aug 2007
279 Posts
Had my second flight

hi all again,

thanks for the great replies... well an update, had my second flight today and the instructor told me to take off as the winds were not so gusty today and i did and i HAD FUN!!!

the instructor even let me reduce my altitude a bit as well (at first we were flying high to avoid mishaps) and do the circuits. he was still landing but then on the third flight of the day the plane went dead as it ran out of fuel and it was only gliding and here comes the best part, the instructor told me to bring her down gently and constantly gave me instructions. And i have to say i was thrilled to be doing it and not the least bit scared, and she came down smooth and landed just about right with a little bump and i was disappointed for it to end like that but everyone there clapped and told me it was a wonderful try for a first landing and that too with the engine being out. so i felt better.

Mind you i love the take offs and landings. can't wait to get airborne again
Old Oct 05, 2007, 03:48 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2005
416 Posts
Jazi, Congratulations on your first and second flights!

I think you’ll find yourself having fun. But the fun is on many levels.

First, just getting out and doing something.
Second, meeting and “hanging out” with like-minded individuals of a club.
Next, soloing. And getting better. Your first loop. Your first knife edge.
On another level, there’s building and preparing something from a kit. I love the building part, almost as much as flying. But the quality of today’s ARF’s are (generally) good, and the choice is much more plentiful compared to even a few years ago. It’s to the point that you can purchase any size and style of aircraft you want, without ever having to build a thing. However, I find that the building helps me with the “other” reason for building supplies…repairs

There are so many choices in RC aircraft. Aerobatics, soaring, speed demons, floats, stress-free putt putt, 3D, scale, giant scale. electrics. ducted fans, micro…. Some will interest you, some won’t.

I use RC flying as stress relief. Even if I’ve has an “oops” or found my engine to be finicky, I still love flying and getting out to the field. Even just to watch or help out someone with THEIR finicky engine, or whatever. You can keep flying casual and occasional, or get tunnel-vision and think of nothing else. The choice is yours.

So welcome again to the world or RC flying.
andrew_c80 is offline Find More Posts by andrew_c80
Old Oct 09, 2007, 02:55 AM
Joined Oct 2007
22 Posts
Jazi, you sound a lot like me. I was really board while my instructor had me going so high and in circles. And because of his schedgle and mine never coming together I spent three days just taxing around the runway. One day I got a little too much speed up and the darn thing got lift off and I was airborn. Man was I scared but remembering what my instructor had told me I was able to land the darn thing. The whole experience was quite exciting. I decided to get a simulator. That was the best money I've spent. I now can fly anything in the airplane line very well on the simulator and my flying has improved a bunch. It is realy nice to be able to try something out on the computor and then go to the field and do it. It cost a lot less to crash the computor plane than it does mine. Anyway good flying and you will find fun in the strangest places. Sometimes while not even trying.
Jerry Norton is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Norton
Old Oct 09, 2007, 03:54 AM
Pilot error is a myth
Karachi, Pakistan
Joined Aug 2007
279 Posts
hi all,

my training continues and i can take off almost at ease now as there is a very strong cross wind on the field where we fly. we cannot fly directly into the wind due to location of club house and all so have to go a little cross wind.

maintaining my altitude while turning my aircraft is something i am working on and any tips would be MOST welcome. landing is also proving elusive right now as last sunday i had a good approach and was coming in nicely when a guy behind me started yelling at another pilot who was taxiing his plane in the no go area. i got nervous, lost my concentration and the airplane came down hard (sort of a mini crash), but its ok and will continue to fly.

my instructor also said that next time he'll give me a neck strap as well so that i can concentrate more on control and less on holding the radio.
Old Oct 09, 2007, 04:38 AM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
837 Posts
The concentration thing is so important. I did a stupid thing on final a few months ago (checked my flight time - duh) and my plane landed like yours - too hard! Sounds like you are doing well and having fun.

Good luck.
linw is offline Find More Posts by linw
Old Oct 09, 2007, 04:53 AM
Pilot error is a myth
Karachi, Pakistan
Joined Aug 2007
279 Posts
i am having fun just want to get these landing, concentration and maintaining my altitude on turns down.
Old Oct 09, 2007, 08:15 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Things get much more exciting after the buddy cord is disconnected!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Oct 09, 2007, 10:25 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
i am having fun just want to get these landing, concentration and maintaining my altitude on turns down.
Start your turn with elevator up first (just a bit, hold her there), then ailerons.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Oct 09, 2007, 12:57 PM
United States, MI, Greenville
Joined Oct 2007
26 Posts
Jazi you are so right. I just got into this hobby at the begining of this season. My instructor did the same things as yours. BOREING. But as soon as you start flying on your own man does that change everything. Stick with it. As a good friend of mine said "you will turn on like a light bulb". No kidding. One day I couldn't hardly land without crashing the next I was doing touch and goes. Good luck and safe landings..
phornight is offline Find More Posts by phornight
Old Oct 09, 2007, 01:43 PM
Pilot error is a myth
Karachi, Pakistan
Joined Aug 2007
279 Posts
well i hope so. though i hate the end of the day cleaning part. i think the only drawback of glow powered flight for now
Old Oct 09, 2007, 01:50 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,348 Posts
Quote:
well i hope so. though i hate the end of the day cleaning part. i think the only drawback of glow powered flight for now
It is a good time to inspect the plane. On several occasions during cleaning I've found holes in the covering, loose hardware (bolts, nuts, screws, etc.) as well as broken hinges.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member