HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:24 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
Help!
Trouble getting video feed

I'm trying to get my fpv setup working on my new quadcopter, but I'm having trouble getting a clear video connection.

I'm using a boscam 5.8ghz tx and an RC305 rx on 5v. I'm also using a MinimOSD.

I'm almost 100% sure I've got them both on the same channel. However, when I turn them both on, I get mostly static. At one point a got an extremely distorted and negative image and I could sort of make out the image, but that was all I could get. Mostly I just get distorted static. I think it's doing something though, because the static "changes" when I wave at the camera.

That was all really vague, but I'm new to FPV and I've got no idea what's up.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Fridge Gnome is offline Find More Posts by Fridge Gnome
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined Jun 2014
91 Posts
Monitor and OSD are set to video standard of the camera ? (PAL or NTSC) In US it's mostly NTSC but when you order stuff from Asia or whatever there's no telling what the default settings are.
cantremember is offline Find More Posts by cantremember
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:44 PM
masterless samurai
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
767 Posts
Are you sure you have the right channels? I notice if I'm off by a channel, I get a very static picture but can still make out some things.

Or is it relatively clear with the motors off but once you arm it gets static and moreso as you increase throttle? If this is the case, you need to run an "lc filter" on the power leads to your FPV cam.
the.ronin is online now Find More Posts by the.ronin
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
I don't actually have a dedicated monitor yet. I'm trying to get it working through a capture card on my laptop. (I'm going to buy a proper monitor, but I'm just getting it figured out on the laptop)

I'm using a Pixim Seawolf which came from China I think, and the MinimOSD came from in the US. I can't see menu on the pixim to see the settings either.

I haven't even tried it with the motors on yet. however, I wired it ahead of the ESCs. I don't know if that will help or not.

I've found a bunch of different combinations for channels, so I don't really know which is right. But I've tried a lot of them and when I have it set up on what is supposed to be the same channel, I can barely tell that something is moving in the camera static.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:20 AM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
Still trying to figure this out.

Here is the tx/rx I have
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:22 PM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
481 Posts
You probably have a loose connection.
Zedtwitz is offline Find More Posts by Zedtwitz
Old Yesterday, 05:54 AM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz View Post
You probably have a loose connection.
I had thought about that, but even when I have the video wire going directly from the camera to the Tx, it still doesn't work.
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
masterless samurai
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
767 Posts
Did you happen to accidentally power the vtx without its antenna at some point? This could damage the vtx.
the.ronin is online now Find More Posts by the.ronin