HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hackney
Joined Aug 2011
217 Posts
Discussion
Alternatives to DT750?

I'm about to try my first outdoor tricopter, having been learniing on a little hubsan x4. There is a lot of advice to use the DT750 motors

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ner_750kv.html

but they are out of stock at the moment and also they need a bit of attention to get them up to scratch from what I've seen.

Are there any suggestions on alternatives? price is a consideration of course.
stallion explosi is offline Find More Posts by stallion explosi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:25 AM
Jarhead
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
The DT700 is available in the UK warehouse. I've got a set on my tricopter and they work well. 1.2kg AUW, swinging APC 10x4.7SFP.

The attention they need is preventive medicine. The wires are prone to breakage, so epoxy them to the windings and put some Loctite on the grub screw so the windings don't spin in the mount when you throttle up.
wheelbarrowjack is offline Find More Posts by wheelbarrowjack
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:00 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2013
67 Posts
Look for something in the same KV, amperage and weight range and you should be fine. HobbyKing 2830 and 2836 should work, along with 2212 and 2216 series motors from Tiger or Sunny depending on your budget. I know a lot of guys also like the Hacker motors too.

I know its not a tri, but on my 950-1000g quad I ended up with the Turnigy D2836/11 750KV Brushless Outrunner Motor because the DT750 always seems to be out of stock and I wanted something quick. I feed them 3S power through HK F-20A ESCs (w/SimonK) and 10x4.7 GemFan props with no issues. Nothing ever even gets warm.

What is your estimated AUW for this beastie?
Strange1 is offline Find More Posts by Strange1
Old Jul 03, 2013, 06:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hackney
Joined Aug 2011
217 Posts
thanks for the tip. do you reckon those 2836/11 750kv motors would be ok on 4s if i decided to load it up a bit?
stallion explosi is offline Find More Posts by stallion explosi
Old Jul 03, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2013
67 Posts
I don't actually know, so please take all this with a grain of salt

I ran mine on 4S very briefly and they seemed to be OK. The power with a 1047 was UNREAL! My thumbs were mentally calibrated for 3S and I accidentally smashed my quad into a rafter flying indoors and absolutely totalled it about 5 minutes into my first 4S flight. The motors were warm but not hot, and I was definitely pushing it.

From what I've read, the larger case of the 2836 should in theory be able to handle more heat generated by higher voltages than a similar KV rated 2830 sized motor. In theory anyway. The penalty would be weight. Again, I don't actually know.

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of these things can jump in

You can also try to get a set of DT700, those seem to be in stock more often than the DT750
Strange1 is offline Find More Posts by Strange1
Old Jul 04, 2013, 01:20 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion explosi View Post
thanks for the tip. do you reckon those 2836/11 750kv motors would be ok on 4s if i decided to load it up a bit?
Some of the Turnigy motors are sold under other brand and model names by other retailers. The GPS - XYH OK-C2836-12 might be the same motor as the Turnigy and has been tested at flybrushless.com. And that included a little testing at 4S:

GPS - XYH OK-C2836-12 - http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/146

The testing reported there only reports testing that did not overheat the motor unless there is a comment or warning otherwise. So you can use that as a guide for trying 4S and those props.

A little static testing and checking for heat with you fingers will tell you if you want to try it it flight or not. If you cannot keep a finger on the baseplate area (the magnet housing will be much cooler) it is up around or over 130F/54C and that is a good place end the testing. The prop will unload a little in flight, draw less current, and have better cooling, so anything that you can do safely in static tests should be OK in flight. But it is still wise to work up to full throttle and full battery duration flights with pauses for heat checks.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes