HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:24 PM
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano View Post
I have a pmu v2 installed for canBus, which means I have two 5v becs, one on the pmu and one on the mainboard. I only use one for the phantom electronics, so the other is now for the LEDs. I'm not going to input data to the FC, that's pretty dangerous compared to read-only! If you want to go down that route, your main avenue will be through the rx pins and EXP, not on the back end of the Naza.

If I get a 3rd party rx installed, I'll use an extra channel to control different light patterns, including nighttime dim and maybe throttle-linked...
Where on the mainboard does the 5v bec reside?

Could you power everything from one 5V bec source?

Still trying to get my arms around all the functions the PMU V2 provides. Looks like it manages/distributes power to all the Phantom components (NAZA, GPS, CanBus accessories), makes a 5V power source available and also monitors (low level) battery voltages.
DJI27 is online now Find More Posts by DJI27
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:05 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,146 Posts
DJI Phantom DIY, Modifications, Upgrades, Tips, and How To

You can power everything that is intended to go on a phantom from the PMU. Some canBus peripherals get hot, and suck up a lot of power. I don't know that the mainboard or the upgrade board have the same power capacity as the PMU unit, but people have powered iOsd + gcu + datalink + btu off the upgrade board.

Adding lots of powerful lights is a completely different ball of wax, and I don't know what the power limit of the pmu is. Some people say overloading it will cause a shutdown or reset, something you don't want happening in flight.

In addition to power, the pmu also has contains the canBus transceiver for the GPS and bus interface for the Naza. It's not just a dumb bec, but you can use it like one if you want.

The motherboard bec is the voltage regulator and associated circuitry on the side of the board, where the x3 v-sen wires start.
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2014, 06:48 AM
Joined Jun 2013
305 Posts
Quote:
You can power everything that is intended to go on a phantom from the PMU. Some canBus peripherals get hot, and suck up a lot of power. I don't know that the mainboard or the upgrade board have the same power capacity as the PMU unit, but people have powered iOsd + gcu + datalink + btu off the upgrade board.

Adding lots of powerful lights is a completely different ball of wax, and I don't know what the power limit of the pmu is. Some people say overloading it will cause a shutdown or reset, something you don't want happening in flight.

In addition to power, the pmu also has contains the canBus transceiver for the GPS and bus interface for the Naza. It's not just a dumb bec, but you can use it like one if you want.

The motherboard bec is the voltage regulator and associated circuitry on the side of the board, where the x3 v-sen wires start.
Thank you for the helpful explanations. Slowly but surely, I'm beginning to piece together how this "fantastic flying machine" works.

It makes sense to error on the side of caution and have multiple routes from which to draw power.

I did notice the EXP (GPS) pin connections on the NAZA and found it curious GPS signals would get routed through a module that I assumed just managed power.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:24 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27 View Post
Thank you for the helpful explanations. Slowly but surely, I'm beginning to piece together how this "fantastic flying machine" works.

It makes sense to error on the side of caution and have multiple routes from which to draw power.

I did notice the EXP (GPS) pin connections on the NAZA and found it curious GPS signals would get routed through a module that I assumed just managed power.

I believe the Naza is "smart" about EXP. Normally, it communicates directly with the ublox gps module (in i2c?), but if it receives a CAN heartbeat, e.g., from the pmu, it will switch to CAN communications mode. That means you then need something to translate the gps signal to CAN before passing it on to the Naza, and the PMU does that job.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:34 PM
Joined Jun 2013
305 Posts
Quote:
I believe the Naza is "smart" about EXP. Normally, it communicates directly with the ublox gps module (in i2c?), but if it receives a CAN heartbeat, e.g., from the pmu, it will switch to CAN communications mode. That means you then need something to translate the gps signal to CAN before passing it on to the Naza, and the PMU does that job.
I wonder what the logic in design was to select a "less direct, more complex and probably slower route) when a canBus is present?

It's almost as if the canBus route offers something that the "direct" route doesn't?

I had (mistakenly?) assumed that a canBus performed similarly to a USB hub but there's apparently more to it.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
Thanks, Not sure if I will attend IRCHA this year. Let's hope I can make it because I had a fun week when I was there.

Nice. What's your range your getting with the 600mw TX?

I think it looks pretty cool. The tall wide stance gets the legs out t way when shooting with the GoPro.

I'm using JR287mg servos. I have the gains set at 23. I was messing around with the gimbal gains and notice it relate more to how much the servos move when tilted. I thought it was suppose to be how sensitive the gyros will be, but it was different in my test. I set my gains by tilting the quad and adjusting they gain till the gimbal stayed nice and level. Took about 5 minutes to figure it out.

Looks like we're both going the FPV route. I already have my cable for the GoPro 3. Just waiting for the googles to come in sometime this week

You can get Graupner props from a few vendors. I got mines from GotHeliRc because they were the closes to me. I was in a rush to get them lol 2 days to get them. Rc-Drones also caries them too and he ships USPS Priority.
Where did you get the legs, like the look.
rich j is offline Find More Posts by rich j
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:39 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27 View Post
I wonder what the logic in design was to select a "less direct, more complex and probably slower route) when a canBus is present?

It's almost as if the canBus route offers something that the "direct" route doesn't?

I had (mistakenly?) assumed that a canBus performed similarly to a USB hub but there's apparently more to it.

I believe CanBUS support was added later to the Naza. Also, it requires a controller and transceivers for each device, so it's a bit more costly when all you are really running at the beginning is the GPS?
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Joined Jun 2013
305 Posts
Quote:
I believe CanBUS support was added later to the Naza. Also, it requires a controller and transceivers for each device, so it's a bit more costly when all you are really running at the beginning is the GPS?
Thanks, ElGuano ... your thoughts are appreciated.