HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:37 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
626 Posts
My Veron Robot is covered in a mix of vintage & solid colour Solartex with all decor also cut out from Solartex. At 45" it's slightly smaller span than the Mambo but near enough to be comparable. I weighed the Robot parts before then after covering. I did the same with the wings of a KK Chief that is almost exactly the same area & that I was covering in tissue over mylar at the time.

Weight of Solartex on total Robot airframe = 93g (3.28oz)
Weight of Solartex on Robot wings = 52g (1.83oz)
Weight of tissue/mylar on Chief wings = 32g (1.33oz)

IMO the extra weight of Solartex isn't a concern in a model of this size but there are real practical & aesthetic advantages over other covering materials.
The model certainly doesn't seem to mind any extra weight, it can be flown at very low speed when required but is completely aerobatic on quite modest power.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:39 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
852 Posts
Polyspan with water based polyethaline is a great alternative to silk and dope.
Palmettoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Palmettoflyer
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:27 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
961 Posts
patmcc,

Is it usually windy in the UK? I visited Ireland last July and the wind was constant. Because of that, I didn't really worry too much about low flying weights as the higher wing loadings should allow flight on windy days without so much bouncing around. Just a thought.

And the Mambo and Robot are beautiful--good job, guys!
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:58 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
626 Posts
Balsabird, the only time it isn't windy is when I go slope soaring!
Apart from indoor models I'm happy with a minimum wing loading of 8oz/sq ft on any of my models.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:32 PM
NE Georgia USA
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Ralph B.
I hope my Mambo look that good when I'm done!!!
redC5 is offline Find More Posts by redC5