Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
Discussion
Dec 7 reminded

I wonder how may old codgers we have here can recall where they were when the news of Pearl hit them? I think we are a disparaging breed. ,in just a few more years no body will be around who as a child heard the news. The draftees of course are down to a very low number.

I was a small child in Indiana when I heard it. The tone was hushed and I knew we were in a lot of trouble by the attitude of adults.

Fairly soon Gold Stars started to appear in the front window of houses. Some had more then one. That was a sign that a husband or son was killed in the service.

This was a war of attrition.Our leaders knew we had more raw materials and men then the enemy and were not afraid to kill off a huge number of men. The numbers I have read are horrendous.We now have over a ten year span killed 2000 troupes in Afghanistan. In WW 2 we killed 10 times that in one day.

I assume that the children of today will remember 911 as I did Pearl.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:35 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
I remember the family was listening to the news on the radio when they interrupted the program and announced that Pearl Harbor had been attacked. I remember my dad saying, "That means war". I was in the third grade at that time.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Wow that was over 70 years ago. I thought I was an old fart!

A disparaging breed? Dissapering perhaps. I only hope that we never forget to what lengths tyranny will go left unchecked.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
Wow, didn't realize how few old guys we have here. Our flying club is the same way. It is shrinking and I wonder how much longer it will last. I'm the oldest active member at 80. My flying skills are also disappearing .I'm forced to start building super stable models. I've been flying electric since I retired and rejoined the hobby. We now have stuff that wasn't even talked about when I first started FF in the 40s.

One doesn't have the vigor and skills of the young guys who are 65.

I've read that social clubs are also disappearing . To many thing to do for entertainment they said. Like watching TV and sleeping. It's sure not chasing the old ladies.If I caught one what to you suggest I do? I seem to have forgot.

Every issue of AMA has a tribute. . The last issue noted Bill Northrup. I didn't know any of them.. I think AMA is on the ropes and the old boys club with their high dues and good perks for some won't be around 15 years from now.

So"Remember Pearl Harbor" sure is not even a topic on the news anymore.

The people born in my generation were very,very lucky. Missed the depression, To young for WW2 , In school for Korea with draft deferments , to old for Nam. I dodged them all. I did serve 2 years in peace time to get the GI bill. That got me a degree and insured a very good future.

So Tats and drugs I don't get. Every old person thinks things have gone to H. Someday they may be right but I don't think so.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron 1 View Post
I'm the oldest active member at 80.
Quote:
It's sure not chasing the old ladies.If I caught one what to you suggest I do? I seem to have forgot.

But you just said you were an "active member".

Quote:
We now have stuff that wasn't even talked about when I first started FF in the 40s.

That's because it's all in Chinese now.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:59 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
But you just said you were an "active member".
"Were", not "had". Pay attention, k?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:27 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
People. Behave.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:44 AM
Foamie Freak!
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
My mom talks about the war, she had two brothers go after Pearl, both came back. Kudos to all of that generation, whether they were at home or actively fighting!
Leather Helmet is offline Find More Posts by Leather Helmet
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
I've been thinking about the relative quick closure of memories of WW2. I don't think I saw a single comment about Dec 7 on TV. That's actually a very good thing,forget and move on. No sense harboring a national grudge against a country whose current population had nothing to do with it. I don't know what Viet Nam thinks of the US but I sure hope they forgave us and moved on. President Johnson should of been punished for war crimes. This was truly a very evil person to the core from what I have read His legacy is the thousands of dead and injured people on both sides for naught.. History will not be kind to him I hope.

The war in Japan is rarely shown on TV. Yet the war in Germany is shown every day on some TV channel. When we are in Germany,which we just were, this subject seems to always pop up. I have no ready answer. Japan was guilty of equal or worse. Our daughter in law's Asian grandfather went to his grave with Tattoos numbers still on one arm. He was the sole survivor in a Japan death camp we have been told. Some how got enough food to barely survive by stealing potatoes out of storage. Instant death if caught.

Do we want Japan punished for their atrocities? Absolutely not, very little publicity about these actions is the proper thing to do.

Our Civil war was from 1861 to 1865. When I was little there were a lot of people still alive who fought in it and a huge number of their children who had stories directly from their parents. I heard a lot of these stories and there was a lot of hate involved from both sides. Nobody ever told me however what the war was about and I'm still not sure. All it took was a few people with egos and attitudes of our recent President Johnson to create this mess. The South suffered terribly . I have ancestors on both sides who fought in the war. One was run out of Arkansas by the KKK..

And so it goes, best to forget and forgive.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:57 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
I remember as a school kid, our school, remember this was a one room school house, grades 1 through 8. We would go along the country roads picking milkweed pods. They were used in life jackets back then. Also we collected old paper, scrap metal, and even old bones. The bones, we were told, were used to make explosives. I made a little bit of spending money that way.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
The bones, we were told, were used to make explosives.

All I can think of is those anti-landmine activists nowadays......imagine school kids collecting blown off legs from the mine fields so they can make more explosives.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee