Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:56 PM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
Discussion
Glow to Gas

I have a 40 size great planes Escapade with a .46 glow and I want to change the engine to a size 15cc gas ,will this engine work on this plane and will the fuel tank from the glow engine work with gas?
Mgblunt is offline Find More Posts by Mgblunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:03 PM
Green Fuel Boy
United States, OR, Newberg
Joined Sep 2009
62 Posts
Hi, The fuel tank stopper will have to be changed to a gasoline stopper. You will have to use gasoline fuel lines and a good fuel filter. The engine will use less fuel than a nitro engine in that size class. I had a escapade a couple of years ago with a nitro engine. The 15cc gas will fly it will authority but just might be a little heavier than your nitro engine.
Green Fuel Boy is online now Find More Posts by Green Fuel Boy
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:18 PM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
That's what I was thinking about the weight but I have about three ounces of weight in front to balance it so that will take care part of the weight difference ,,thanks for the info and the reply
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:07 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
Beware....once you switch to gas....you may not come back to nitro! At least that is what a lot of gas guys are saying.....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, NJ, Upper Pittsgrove
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
He wont come back to nitro, had 8or9 glows then switched my H9 cub to DLE20 from Saito 180 flew it once the performance, the lack of oil all over the belly the fuel burn was a third of $22 a gallon nitro. Ive already changed 6 planes to gas going to do the rest asap.
scaleman57 is offline Find More Posts by scaleman57
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:55 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
A 46 powered airplane switching to a 15cc gas is gonna be way over powered a 15CC is about a 90 glow.
Everyone's correct about gas once you get over the learning curve you wont wanna fly glow.
Love my gassers
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:16 AM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
Jetmech05; I just want to experament with a gas setup and since I had to add quite a bit of weight to the front of this plane I figured it might be a good choice to use,,it appears to me that the 15cc gas would be slower at least that's what it appears to be on youtube anyway any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:14 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,259 Posts
MG the biggest thing you need ta do, is get the fuel system figured out! its completely different then a glow fuel set-up!

you could cruise through the giant scale fourum and see how there set-ups look, as most are gassers!

yes you will need to change out all the fuel lines! and I think you will be fine with that 15cc as a 20cc is actualy what replaces a 91 two stroke!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:32 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
The math says 10cc equals 60 2 stroke glow....it just comes to a point that you can over power an airplane to the point the airframe just can't handle it. weight and speed equals too many G's.
Good Luck though
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05