HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:39 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,821 Posts
Discussion
Strip planking

I found this a year or so ago. I had tried strip planking way back in the day and had no success. This article changed everything. It works slick and is not all that time consuming. I would suggest cutting a bunch of strips first so you don't have to stop application to cut each new strip.

http://www.raysmodels.ca/Technical%2...%20article.doc

Enjoy!

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:44 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
So the strips bend sideways as well to make them butt up properly. Do I have that right?

Or, will they not have to bend, just warp, cause you started with a straight one?

Interesting, makes it look easy
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,821 Posts
The strips are narrow enough to bend sideways. As an example... You start on the right side and ad a strip. Then add one to the left side. By going back and forth the stresses of the layup are equalized and the wood strips are "mixed up" so in the end it is stronger than the original piece of wood.

It took me about 30 minutes to lay up the area behind the firewall of the CAP in my avatar. That is after I figured out how to do it That was my first attempt at strip planking. I'm sure it will only get better.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Cheers. Sounds good. If that took you 30min, it would only take me 3 hours
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:27 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu956 View Post
Cheers. Sounds good. If that took you 30min, it would only take me 3 hours

LOL!!

The first strips took much more time as you need to get them "right". Everything builds off your first lay. The last strip needs some trimming and takes a bit more Time. It really is a fast process ounce you get the hang of it.

Cut your strips first. You can slice up a 3 X 36 sheet in just a couple of minutes. Cut to length, I cut mine a bit long if possible. Then start in with CA. you will be surprised how quick it goes
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
195 Posts
I have seen this article once before and need to try this method on a build, but I can't seem to grasp the process for cutting the strips. In the picture on the first page of the article, the edge of the balsa sheet is up against the guide rail of the stripper. Once that plank is cut and removed, I get you can't simply slide the stripper up against the new edge or you'll get a strip like version "C" which is useless. The article says, "turn the main balsa sheet 180 degrees (do not turn it over)." To me that says you spin the sheet as it's lying on the work surface, so the same face facing up stays facing up and you cut the next strip from the opposite edge. But then when you turn the piece 180 degrees again you are right back on the first edge and the strip will look like "C".

The only thing I can think of is when you turn the balsa 180 degrees, you keep cutting on the same edge and actually have the stripper sitting on the balsa sheet instead of on the work surface. My issue there is you no longer have the edge of the balsa running along the guide rail so you risk not cutting in a straight line.

Or you flip the balsa over so the side of the sheet that was touching the work surface is now facing up and cut on the same edge as the previous cut. This seems like it would result in a piece looking like "A" but the "do not turn it over" statement in the article has me wondering. Any clarification would be great.
campbelltf is offline Find More Posts by campbelltf
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:16 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,821 Posts
I think I "flipped" the sheet end for end. So the right top, is now on the left bottom. Does that make any sense? I'm kind of confused myself now
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
195 Posts
Sorry for the confusion

I think I understand your flip, it sounds like what I meant in my last option. It just seems to contradict the article saying don't turn it over.

I'll give it try tonight and report back.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:51 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,450 Posts
The important thing is to get the two sides angled correctly. Do that and you're ahead.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:51 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
I thought that sounded a bit iffy too Campbelltf. You would have to flip rather than turn it around I though
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
195 Posts
And that's how it worked. After making the first pass with the balsa stripper and getting a piece that looks like "B" in the article, I flipped the balsa over so the side that had been face down on the work surface was now face up. I then ran the stripper down the edge I had just made with the previous cut. Perfect plank with edges beveled like "A" in the article. Flip the piece back over and repeat. Went quickly from there. I haven't started gluing yet, hopefully tonight.