HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FeiJi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
181 Posts
Discussion
9mm EPP Laminated Weight Bearing Test

Lately I have been building wings with 9mm EPP foam and decided to test the weight bearing ability of laminated EPP. I bought the laminate from a copy shop but had to measure it with a micrometer to determine size.
Here are the results of my test with photos. The weights are approximate as my scale is not digital. I just kept adding double a batteries until the foam/laminate collapsed.
Single lamination was a single layer on all surfaces. Double was two layers.

10cm * 50cm 9mm EPP Weight Bearing Test

Laminate Used..................Weight of Foam with Laminate.....Weight Until Collapse
none...................................12 grams.......................................70 grams
single .045mm laminate.....25 grams.......................................340 grams
double .045mm laminate....35 grams.......................................660 grams
single .095mm laminate.....30 grams........................................950 grams

Looks like the single layer of .095 laminate is considerably stronger, even than the double layer of .045.

Laminated EPP foam is really strong stuff. I am finding that wings made of laminated epp last much longer than ones made of foam board. The foam board wings get soft and mushy after a while and then never fly consistently. The epp wings always stay stiff, the components don't move and they fly the same way everytime.
FeiJi is offline Find More Posts by FeiJi
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FeiJi; Jun 29, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts