Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
46 Posts
ok going to look that over know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
Good luck on your maiden flight. If you have followed Rick (choochoo22)'s user guide, it should be a non-event.

You can use DR and Expo, but, if you read the user guide, be aware of 2D artifacts in lower than 100% rates. The G, in 2D mode, will make corrections independent of DR, but your own stick stirring might feel limited if less than 100% (unless you set the maximum bank angle to 80o); again, please read the relevant remarks in Rick's user guide. Personally, whenever in 2D mode, I force DR=100 and Expo=0; otherwise, DR/Expo to suit your personal taste.

When the G is OFF, your TX is controlling the gyros with the exception of flaperons, elevons, etc.; i.e., if normal wing type, then G=OFF simply passes your TX info downstream. Again, good explanation in the user guide.

If this is your first G installation, then you might want someone else to at least confirm that the POTs are set in the proper direction.

Michael
paulieb1979 is offline Find More Posts by paulieb1979
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2014, 04:20 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,183 Posts
Hi folks,
I don't get here often so if this has already been brought up, just ignore.
I have been using many G2D/3D units since they were first shipped. I think they are great! The "ONE" thing I wish they would change/improve, is the connectors on the harness seem a tad wider than standard and when lining 7 of them in a row, they fan out and are very difficult to insert/remove.......

pick one out of the middle and try putting it back in
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Mar 08, 2014, 06:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
Hi folks,
I have been using many G2D/3D units since they were first shipped. I think they are great! The "ONE" thing I wish they would change/improve, is the connectors on the harness seem a tad wider than standard and when lining 7 of them in a row, they fan out and are very difficult to insert/remove.......

Never had that problem with my Spektrum receiver. It could be you Frsky is a tad small.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2014, 08:43 PM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
Hi folks,

That problem is solvable and it's not due to the RX not confirming to some connector standard - as far as pin-to-pin separation is concerned. Connecting the G's cable to most RXs will result in the same problem - which is the cumulative affect of the slight "bulge" on the channel connector ends.

You can solve the problem by replacing one or two of the G's cable ends (or all of them if you are so incline) with the following servo end.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ors/pt1in_1x3/

But if you do, don't forget to re-label the end.

Strictly speaking there is no reason for ET to use the type of servo end with the "bulge" - i.e. a servo end that looks like the following.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ectors/sc_unh/

To my knowledge the servo ends with this bulge are only required when fitting male ends with a cover sleeve. Since that has nothing to do with the G, they would make it easier to connect it to RXs if they made their cable with the connector end without the bulge.
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Old Mar 09, 2014, 11:38 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysbrother View Post
That problem is solvable and it's not due to the RX not confirming to some connector standard - as far as pin-to-pin separation is concerned. Connecting the G's cable to most RXs will result in the same problem - which is the cumulative affect of the slight "bulge" on the channel connector ends.

You can solve the problem by replacing one or two of the G's cable ends (or all of them if you are so incline) with the following servo end.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ors/pt1in_1x3/

But if you do, don't forget to re-label the end.

Strictly speaking there is no reason for ET to use the type of servo end with the "bulge" - i.e. a servo end that looks like the following.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ectors/sc_unh/

To my knowledge the servo ends with this bulge are only required when fitting male ends with a cover sleeve. Since that has nothing to do with the G, they would make it easier to connect it to RXs if they made their cable with the connector end without the bulge.
yes, I have a box of the Hansen connectors
just wish G2D3D came with them
simple request
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Mar 09, 2014, 07:44 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,223 Posts
Still waiting to hear when ET are going to release the new firmware for G.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Mar 09, 2014, 07:58 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Goose View Post
Still waiting to hear when ET are going to release the new firmware for G.
What I want is a Guardian with RTH just as a panic button, no FPV etc...
I have the T1000FC but with GPS it only allows 45 degree banking. And without GPS, it is just an expensive rate gyro.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Mar 09, 2014, 08:17 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,130 Posts
That would be VERY nice in my opinion.

Particularly if they packaged the GPS in a neato case like the T1000FC one.

Guardian reliability and well thought out software programming (which the T1000FC lacks) plus RTH when you loose sight of the damn thing way downwind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
I have the T1000FC but with GPS it only allows 45 degree banking. And without GPS, it is just an expensive rate gyro.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Mar 09, 2014, 08:27 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
That would be VERY nice in my opinion.

Particularly if they packaged the GPS in a neato case like the T1000FC one.

Guardian reliability and well thought out software programming (which the T1000FC lacks) plus RTH when you loose sight of the damn thing way downwind.
Exactly!!!
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Mar 09, 2014, 11:34 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
That is my dream to.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:53 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,823 Posts
Found a little video from the weekend. This shows what the eagle tree can do. On this day the winds where gusting over 30 mph and over 90% of the pilots didn't even bother to try and fly. I ended up doing 9 flights this day with the guardian the wind is no big deal. Also its a dead crosswind on this flight sustained at around 20 mph and gusting over 25mph.

I scraped a wing tip on landing with a wind gust pushing the plane on 2 wheels. You can also get a good shot of the afterburner lights on the high speed turn.

F-22 Raptor (5 min 49 sec)
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Mar 10, 2014, 02:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
Found a little video from the weekend. This shows what the eagle tree can do. On this day the winds where gusting over 30 mph and over 90% of the pilots didn't even bother to try and fly. I ended up doing 9 flights this day with the guardian the wind is no big deal. Also its a dead crosswind on this flight sustained at around 20 mph and gusting over 25mph.

I scraped a wing tip on landing with a wind gust pushing the plane on 2 wheels. You can also get a good shot of the afterburner lights on the high speed turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQEd...rCjSXWIapajqCt
Great flying in such windy conditions. Most turbine flyers would be grounded in this wind. A testimony to how good the Guardian is.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2014, 02:18 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,917 Posts
Quote:

What modes are you using?
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Mar 10, 2014, 03:35 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
What modes are you using?
3D heading hold on all the time. only time I turn the Guardian off is after I land to keep the servos from going crazy when I move the airplane while the turbine goes through its cool down mode.

I have not tried with heading hold off yet. Feels so good like it is dont ant to mess with it.

I have the gyro rate mixed with the flaps. So when I put my flaps down it gets increased.

Im not even sure that I am using the system to its full potential so any input would be great thanks.
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:00 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,917 Posts
Quote:
3D heading hold on all the time. only time I turn the Guardian off is after I land to keep the servos from going crazy when I move the airplane while the turbine goes through its cool down mode.

I have not tried with heading hold off yet. Feels so good like it is dont ant to mess with it.

I have the gyro rate mixed with the flaps. So when I put my flaps down it gets increased.

Im not even sure that I am using the system to its full potential so any input would be great thanks.
Sounds like you are doing pretty well and don't really need to change anything.

You might try 2D for landings but try it first with plenty of altitude and your finger near the switch. It feels very different at first since you have to hold the stick over to maintain a bank. With such a fast plane you will probably want to increase the roll angle on the 2D page to the max 80, especially if you are using reduced rates. Be sure to set the level on the ground first with a single gesture. Great precision isn't needed here as it's a trial and error process, just prop up the plane with the wings level and the nose up a bit. I would set the nose fairly high for the final approach angle. If you like the 2D landings you could even program a switch to 2D to go with full flaps. You probably wouldn't want it to go with partial flaps as you may use that on takeoff and 2D works less well there.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22