Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:04 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS00 View Post
In order to connect a GPS to a multiwii, you need to have the GPS signal as I2C. The board in the previous post says it has an I2C output, this one doesn't.

So to use this one, you need another board to convert the signal to I2C, like one of these:

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...2&productname=
You can also connect any gps serial module directly if you just hack a bit the code , like I did

e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:17 PM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,752 Posts
thanks guys ........
helizrnew2me is online now Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:25 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
You can also connect any gps serial module directly if you just hack a bit the code , like I did

What pins did you use for the serial?
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:55 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
What pins did you use for the serial?
Serial is serial ... and it is only 1 ... so I use the Serial port (I could even use the FTDI port)

The trick is that the Firmware is able to detect if it get a request from GPS or a request from the GUI ... clearly ... GUI and GPS can't be on on the same time ...

Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:46 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Serial is serial ... and it is only 1 ... so I use the Serial port (I could even use the FTDI port)

The trick is that the Firmware is able to detect if it get a request from GPS or a request from the GUI ... clearly ... GUI and GPS can't be on on the same time ...
I thought you'd done something a bit smarter

You say serial is serial - not quite. You have two choices here. You can use the Arduino's built in hardware serial (which is what you did, which means no GUI & GPS at the same time), or you could use the SoftwareSerial and read your serial on any digital pin.

That's what I was trying to find out; whether you'd used SoftwareSerial or not.

I thought about trying this, but I didn't because I figured it would probably slow down the loop too much.
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:27 PM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,752 Posts
some expenses came up and i had to drain my paypal account ,so my gps adventure is on hold now .but thank you guys for helping me with my question .
helizrnew2me is online now Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Sep 2012
54 Posts
Possessed quadcopter???? test flying the new rebuild was hovering smooth as butter responded to all controls then decided to go off and fly on its own. I had no control at all turned transmitter off to go into fail safe hover but no. It carried on flying but didnt just fly forward it was banking and turning as if it was on a GPS mission (i dont have gps) all by its self and flew for a good min and a half before it decided to nose dive into the snow grrrrr. Only three broken props although not tried the electronics yet GULP!!!

there was no other rc craft around im flying off 2.4ghz flysky it was about 10 feet in front of me when it went of on its own and i was in baro hold mode on multiwii se 2.1 if anyone can shed some light on this it would be great im scared to fly it again till i figure this out .

Thanks
neotecdigital is offline Find More Posts by neotecdigital
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:34 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Bad servo extension between Rx and FC?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:34 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
I thought you'd done something a bit smarter

You say serial is serial - not quite. You have two choices here. You can use the Arduino's built in hardware serial (which is what you did, which means no GUI & GPS at the same time), or you could use the SoftwareSerial and read your serial on any digital pin.

That's what I was trying to find out; whether you'd used SoftwareSerial or not.

I thought about trying this, but I didn't because I figured it would probably slow down the loop too much.
Sofware Serial would suck away tons of cpu power especially for 56k serial

Share HW serial between GUI and GPS is looking fine for me

I just need to add a 2 waypoints navigatios, sine RTH is not enoigh for me
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
54 Posts
brontide would that cause it to fly around on its own?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:42 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
You had baro enabled, so the random RX might have resulted in flight.

Could it be vibrations playing with the gyros? I wouldn't expect it to hold altitude then.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
54 Posts
there is some vibration but not much props and motors are as balanced as i can seem to get them.. it wouldn't respond to any of my inputs and i was running after it like a mad man. the wife was in tears with laughter .
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined May 2012
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLC77 View Post
post a video if you can, I'd love to see it.
Here they are:

Test #1:

H-Quad Outdoor Flight (Test I) (0 min 32 sec)

Test #2:

H-Quad Outdoor Flight (Test II) (0 min 43 sec)

Please forgive my horrible pilot skills, I only had one day to practice
The setting is in level mode.

Thanks for your help again.
h_e_c is offline Find More Posts by h_e_c
Last edited by h_e_c; Feb 03, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:36 PM
Splat
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
Well, it flies! congratulations. Now its a mater of getting comfortable and Practice, Practice, Practice.
PLC77 is offline Find More Posts by PLC77
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
107 Posts
HK Multiwii 2.1 on F450 Clone

I'm curious to see if other people on this board have the same setup as mine and what their PID values are. I have trouble finding a good set of values to flight my quad. The current values are:

P I D
Roll: 3.2 0.03 3
Pitch: 3.2 0.03 3
Level: 3.6 0.01 5

The quad seems to be stable but it's sluggish. If I try to increase P to 4 or 5 it starts to oscillate a little and if I increase D it seems to circle a bit.

I've been struggling with these values for too long and I'm a little tired. My stm32 MMC10 board seemed to fly better than this despite the infamous drift issue but I never expected it to have a perfect hovering behavior like my Naza. But this Multiwii, I can only say so far I'm not impressed at all.

UPDATE:

I'm also curious to know how people mount their board to the frame. Do you add any foam or vibration dampening material under the board? Though I've balanced my props and motors I'm not using anything to dampen the vibration to the board (just 4 nylon spacers) so I think it could be another factor.
notlkk is offline Find More Posts by notlkk
Last edited by notlkk; Feb 04, 2013 at 01:07 PM.