Closed Thread
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:28 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weav01 View Post
Opened the tx box and looked around. Then plugged in the batteries and the damn thing bound. CHeap electronics. wow all of this troubleshooting for nothing. Something was obvioulsy loose.
Glad to hear it'll work again.
But:
Something IS still loose..... Cold solder joint or cable connection - perhaps the antenna wire - there are some problems with it documented in this thread early on.
BTW - that was not for nothing - you had a closer look to learn about the bird
and you have now a spare PCB - it would come in handy - believe me ....
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:06 AM
Dirk
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Stay with stock. Buy 3 and thats enough for the next months and cheap enough.

-mike-
Hi Karatekid,

While you are at it, buy a tail assembly as well (which is also cheap). If your main motor got fried, chances are your tail motor is not far behind...
501419 is offline Find More Posts by 501419
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501419 View Post
Hi Karatekid,

While you are at it, buy a tail assembly as well (which is also cheap). If your main motor got fried, chances are your tail motor is not far behind...

Do you have any idea where i can find only the tail motor? on eBay for example, i have found only a tail unit, which including a tail motor (9116-14)
karatekid1800 is offline Find More Posts by karatekid1800
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:16 AM
Dirk
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Opened the tx box and looked around. Then plugged in the batteries and the damn thing bound. CHeap electronics. wow all of this troubleshooting for nothing. Something was obvioulsy loose.
I have had some problems with the TX too. I think your problem is related with the TX not sensing a low enough resistance when the throttle is all the way down. When this is the case it simply will not bind. Somebody (way, way back in the thread...) solved this problem through using the Q/S switch on the TX. Read through the post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2577
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid1800 View Post
Do you have any idea where i can find only the tail motor? on eBay for example, i have found only a tail unit, which including a tail motor (9116-14)
I'm not finished with testing several N20 motors. But there are a few in the pipeline yet.
You should consider that changing only the rear motor is MUCH more work to do
1. pull old pinion and put on other motor
2. desolder the electronic noise filter board from old motor and resolder on new one.
3. resolder the cable
4. mount new motor on a (probably) flybar-dented boom

Just to save 2 bucks?.. makes no sense for me - but I want to know IF it would be possible at all so I keep on testing....

501419 is right - I forgot to mention a bunch of tail units (3 at last)
I buy them at banggood - just take the 9100 main motors and the 9100 tail units - they are cheaper but exactly the same to the 9116-parts.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:21 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,185 Posts
Folks - buy 9100 tail units!
banggood is sold out - not listed anymore - other shops too!
this is the beginning of the end..
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Folks - buy 9100 tail units!
banggood is sold out - not listed anymore - other shops too!
this is the beginning of the end..
-mike-

yeah, i might as well buy the 9116 tail unit, exactly the same price as the 9100 tail unit. around 5.95 US on eBay
karatekid1800 is offline Find More Posts by karatekid1800
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:27 AM
Dirk
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid1800 View Post
yeah, i might as well buy the 9116 tail unit, exactly the same price as the 9100 tail unit. around 5.95 US on eBay
Sorry, I did not see your quick reply. Yes, Mike is right, the 9100 tail is the best option. Well, basically most of the 9100 parts work on the 9116 and is often cheaper (swash plate and PCB is not compatible though).

You can also get the 9100 tail unit from Aliexpress for US4.50
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chopp...459881185.html
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:05 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,109 Posts
Dh 9116 tx

Quote:
Mike,
it worked. my neighbors tx bound with the helicopter. is there a common problem in the tx that i can fix or am i looking at a new one for $30?
Glad your TX works now after that quick 'fix'. If anyone is interested, I found 9116-26 Transmitters for sale at HobbyPartz.com for $7. Hard to believe it's the whole thing. We'll see when it gets here. I ordered one to have as a spare and to use on my V911s.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:08 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,185 Posts
http://www.dh-toys.com shows no 9100 or 9116 anymore - end of product-line?
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:09 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jul 2012
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
Glad your TX works now after that quick 'fix'. If anyone is interested, I found 9116-26 Transmitters for sale at HobbyPartz.com for $7. Hard to believe it's the whole thing. We'll see when it gets here. I ordered one to have as a spare and to use on my V911s.
Don
Thats some quality electronics for $7 for a Tx at xheli. LOL
weav01 is offline Find More Posts by weav01
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, IN, Gary
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Hey guys, I got my 2nd 9116 the first was DOA.

After flying for a little I see sometimes it does not want to turn right, so the tail rotor is already going out on me.

I found a stock tail motor assembly for 7 dollars shipped. But after reading I see some of you switched to the E-flite Direct Drive. Is this recommended? If so is there anything special needed to install? I can do it just want to make sure I have everything before I go to install.

Also for spare parts I found a set for 13 shipped with main blades tail rotor balance bar and the dog bones and a few more items but it is coming from China and I don't like waiting. Is there somewhere in the States by chance that has these kits? I'm not worried about paying a little more.

Thanks guys.
cavell219 is offline Find More Posts by cavell219
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
Kelly W.
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
parts interchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
Hi Jeff,

The 9116 is better, it can hover considerably better than the 9100, but you've got to be on the sticks constantly to counter any move, so it's getting closer to a real heli I suppose, but still beginner freindly. It still suffers from the pendulum effect to some degree, but no way near as extreme as the 9100. I've flown it in a nice straight line forward for 100 metres without the pendulum effect taking over. I've yet to master the banked turn, but feel it's capable. Someone thats flown co-axials and the 9100 would quite easily get it to hover within the first couple of minutes into the first flight. As for the digital TX, everything works well but the trims are fully digital, so they are incremented, and can be a bit annoying when fine tuning, as you might not be able to set the exact trim setting as you'd like, as I have. A quick push on the trim either way to adjust it by one increment (a tone sounds for each increment) or a longer push for more than three seconds increases or decreases the trim accompanyed by a scaled tone up in pitch for up and down in pitch for down, and a long single tone for the centre setting. The tail rotor trim needs constant monitoring as the battery starts to loose voltage. I've flown it every afternoon this week since I've had it and I learn more about it everyday. Since you've constantly got to be "on the ball" with the 9100, especially trying to counter the pendulum effect, the 9116 is less affected by it, so you can relax a bit being concered about the pendulum effect and concentrate more on flying it where you want it to go or do.

It has two settings, slow and quick, by flicking the toggle switch on the left top of the controller. Slow is good to start with, as the actions are not severe enough to make you panic if it gets away from you, but if you have a fair bit of experience with the 9100, you'll prefer the quick setting quite soon. It's like all the things you wanted or felt was missing in the 9100 are now suddenly there. The tail turns faster to the left/right and the servos travel further, so you can correct any action faster, like if you are heading for a tree, etc. it will almost stop on a dime. It will wash out on a quick turn, but it recovers and stabilises quite quickly. I washed out yesterday after too fast a turn at about 7 foot and it recovered and stabilised into a hover before it hit the deck about a foot from the ground where I was able to get it climbing again.

The best part of this heli is if you have the 9100, pretty much all the parts you'd damage from a crash are interchangeable from the 9100, even though it has two servos, they seem to be the same ones so I would guess they would interchange. The only differences I can see are the swashplate linkages, swashplate and pcb are particular to this model. The blades although are coloured different are the same, so is the inner shaft, main gear, motors, tail boom, decorative bars, etc. they are just painted different, even the canopy from the 9100 fits perfect. The battery is also the same 7.4vdc 650MaH Li-ion, so, if you are like me, and have a aftermarket programable balancer / charger, like my turnigy accu-cel 6, you won't need to change any charge settings.

Over all, for the extra money I paid for my 9116 (eBay $129AUD) against the 9100 (eBay $86AUD) it's worth it, because the 2.4GHz controller is considerably more advanced than the 9100 controller, with more user input. If you can justify spending the money I'd recommend it, it's heaps of fun and still a challenge to fly well and yes, it will handle wind, not much, but it will do it, I flew in a 7km/h gusty wind yesterday when I started, and once I got my head around how the wind was affecting it, I found it not too hard to work with the wind and hover against it. It wasn't ideal but do-able.

Oh, BTW, if anyone uses HeliSimRC, I've made canopies of the DH9101, DH9100 and DH9116 to use in the program, just save it directly into the canopies folder in HeliSim and click on the "graphics" button, then "450 Canopy Graphics" and choose from the selection.

Mick.
Will the tail motor of the 9100 fit the 9116? Was wondering if other tail motors that appear the same will interchange such as the 9104 or the 9100?
factoryrat is offline Find More Posts by factoryrat
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:04 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,185 Posts
Exchange tail motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
Will the tail motor of the 9100 fit the 9116? Was wondering if other tail motors that appear the same will interchange such as the 9104 or the 9100?
Yes, the tail motor of 9100 and 9116 are the same.

Update to exchange tail motors:
Today came my last 4 different N20ies. ALL of them were too weak to hold the tail.
My conclusion is now that I've tried 5 different manufacturers and different voltages that there is NO N20 motor replacement besides the original motor in that size.

I will not test the "longer" N20 versions that are used in F45, 9117 or similar sized helis. Don't want to throw money on that. This I leave as a job for another freak here.

-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, CA, Buena Park
Joined Jul 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavell219 View Post
Hey guys, I got my 2nd 9116 the first was DOA.

After flying for a little I see sometimes it does not want to turn right, so the tail rotor is already going out on me.

I found a stock tail motor assembly for 7 dollars shipped. But after reading I see some of you switched to the E-flite Direct Drive. Is this recommended? If so is there anything special needed to install? I can do it just want to make sure I have everything before I go to install.

Also for spare parts I found a set for 13 shipped with main blades tail rotor balance bar and the dog bones and a few more items but it is coming from China and I don't like waiting. Is there somewhere in the States by chance that has these kits? I'm not worried about paying a little more.

Thanks guys.
Hello

Get the parts from thinkrc.com, they are in States, they have most of the parts for 9116 Heli

http://www.thinkrc.com/double-horse-...-9_88_133.html

part # 9116-14 also comes with tail motor

Bimal
Beginer56 is offline Find More Posts by Beginer56
Closed Thread