HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 13, 2003, 11:09 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Tampa, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Right now the cabanes are pressure fit on the dowels. That was not by design. That's just the way they turned out last night probably because I used a 1/8" bit for 1/8" dowel and the dowels probably moved just a hair during drying.

I really like it like that a flew this morning with no movement of the cabanes, even with loops. But I reckon they will stay like that for long and will eventually need retaining.

Did notice the scale dirt on the tires.

Lol

Luis~
dulcelife is offline Find More Posts by dulcelife
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2003, 11:13 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Tampa, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Here the whole newbie fleet.
dulcelife is offline Find More Posts by dulcelife
Old Sep 13, 2003, 11:15 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Where'd ya pick up the scale dirt? Must have taken hours to look so real!

Dan

PS- Good carving!
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Sep 14, 2003, 01:00 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Someone asked about altitude on their Moth... I was able to (on the stock IPS-A) get to 1000 feet on a regular basis. Any higher and the plane was just a bit too small for the naked eye. I used my hunting neighbors rangefinder to figure altitude. As I flew directly overhead, his meter said 994 feet and he is 6 foot 2 inches tall ~ 1000 feet.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Sep 14, 2003, 01:48 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by althulas

What altitude are you guys able to get up with your moths? what are you climb rates like? And what duration are you dual ips users getting on your flight packs, info greatly appreciated
althulas:

Mine will speck out fairly quick with a bit of Up elevator and full throttle. This is with the stock "A" gearing, dual IPS, 9x7 prop, 1020 2s Kokams at ~2500' above sea level. She's a bit tail heavy and weighs ~9.8oz.

Flight times are usually about 20-25 minutes or so with throttle management. The motors are always hot if I'm pullin' loops and pushing the Moth's limits! The packs have never gone beyond warm, though.

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Sep 14, 2003, 01:51 AM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
thanks for the dowel info Luis, I might try that today too, "scale dirt" lmao lol I love it

Is that an Aerobird in the middle box? Ive got one of those with some heavy mods for sloping, different box to that though.

Trikster 1000 feet high moth ? OMG!! you'd need oxygen for the pilot up there. hows long does it take to get down if you turn the motor off at that height? I should try it if I could keep the eagles away.

Taz
Tasmania is offline Find More Posts by Tasmania
Old Sep 14, 2003, 01:56 AM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
dave is your dual ips mounted virtical, is your gear box / prop over to one side, or is it side by side with the gear box / prop on top ?
Taz
Old Sep 14, 2003, 02:30 AM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
You know how it goes real quiet and still just before a big storm? Well I thought... I'll just chuck the moth up for a quickie..

I wouldnt advise it, I'd only been up 30 seconds and it hit like a hurricane, I was lucky to get it down in one piece, dived for the grass and pancaked it in, sort of, if it wasnt for the dual ips I'd not have made it.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 03:22 AM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
somebody stop me, I'm going to crash this moth
Old Sep 14, 2003, 03:24 AM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
I cant see a thing , where is it?
Old Sep 14, 2003, 03:56 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Taz I retained my cabanes with silicone tubing, see on of my snaps on page 17 I think.

Dulcelife and Taz I'll have to think of a suitable pilot for mine, but You guys have way too much time on your hands I'll have to make some for myself.

Well it's 09:53 batteries are all charged up time to go flying, no willing volunteers to come and take some pics though Taz, but I'll do a 'recce' and see if the barn is a go or not.

Mark
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Sep 14, 2003, 04:12 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Derfinatly going flying in a bit but,

Dulcelife:

Nice fleet, but what is the wing? How have you flown your zero? What's the performance like? I have a P51 to assemble next plus as you gathered a few other kits to.

Trickster and DaveWCO:

Thanks for the response, I'll see shortly how mine will do, I'll take up the freshly charged packs, just seemed to not want to climb with authority yesterday kept on trying to stall whenever I was inputing more than what I thought was reasonble up elevator, but thinking about it I had been flying around for 30 mins with my mate James taking snaps, before I started having some fun and I was whinging about flight performance and there was a good cross wind.

Taz this is how I've copied Basketcase mounting.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 04:54 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tasmania
dave is your dual ips mounted virtical, is your gear box / prop over to one side, or is it side by side with the gear box / prop on top ?
Taz
Taz:

My dually is mounted on the stick exactly like the original IPS fits on there. I simply sanded the motor stick down a bit so that gearbox would slide on. I probably would have just mounted the whole deal sideways like you have, but that was virgin territory when I bought the dual IPS.

althulas:

Please don't insult BC with that horrible mounting job. I believe that's one of my fine hack jobs. It does work though......

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Sep 14, 2003, 07:12 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Oh so sorry Dave especially when you went to the trouble to post it for me, you read that many post and pics and sometimes you forget who posted what and where and plus i was off in a hurry to fly........

What a relaxing morining,warm and sunny a gentle breeze with the odd short gusts, perfect .

She launched effortlessly right out of my hand and I the took her up into a gentle spiral climb on half throttle untill I could just about keep orientation, pity I did'nt have friend with me to take a few snaps, as there was this microlighter who slowly flew over for a nose shame.

At one point I had to throttle her down a bit as a thermal wanted to take her up further and I was to sure of my skills to keep orientation, but she sure did take a long time on a few clicks of throttle.

All together a good 33 mins on mostly 1/2 throttle before quite a noticable drop of in power requiring full power to, be authoritive on low level flight or to make any slow progrees to gain some height so i brought her in for a landing after all I had another pack with me

I took off the cowl to check the duals and found them quite hot to touch but not scorching hot, my esc and flight pack warm to touch.

In my battery compartment there is'nt a lot of room with that large pack in, hence properly not a lot of air flow in to.....
Old Sep 14, 2003, 07:14 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Maybe I should mount the pack in the cockpit instead, at least it will make pack change overs not such a chore.....
Last edited by althulas; Sep 14, 2003 at 07:23 AM.
Closed Thread