HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:42 AM
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
23 Posts
Discussion
Band saw or Scroll saw???

Shortly I'll be starting to scratch build a 4.5 mtr Bocian SZD9 1E, but first need to set up my new workshop properly with the correct tools. I obviously have read many other threads associated with workshops, and have heard many suggestions, but without knowing everybodies personal method of building ie: ARF, scratch build........

I'm indecisive of what type of electric saw to buy, either the Scroll saw or the band saw?????
I'm heavily swaying towards the Scroll saw as they're perfect to do internal cuts, which I'll have to do for the ply formers, but the disadvatage I see with this, is the fact it has a very narrow saw blade, therefore I would imagine it would be difficult to do neat straight long cuts.
Maybe I bite the bullet and go out and buy both; but not if I want to stay married. (She's actually been great). Maybe she wants me out of the house and in the shed more often.
Birthday soon... so we obviously need a wish list for birthdays!!!!
Already requested a combination linisher(belt sander) and disc sander.

For those who build from scratch, can you share your opinion please?
happychap is offline Find More Posts by happychap
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:47 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
theirs a long thread on this exact question that was asked just a few months ago...

general consensus is. you need both.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Jan 2009
23 Posts
Invertmast,
It's late at night here in Australia, and after searching with the correct words, it's amazing what you find.
I must have been sniffing too much CA glue. I was actually searching "Workshop Tools".
Thanks for waking me up....there's heaps of info.
And you're right from what they say, that I'll need both, but it sounds like it's advisable to get the scroll saw first, then the band saw, as the bands saw definately can't do internal cuts.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:18 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
331 Posts
Yes, you really need both.

However, a scroll type saw can be made using a cheap jigsaw mounted inverted under a small 1/2" ply table, with the blade sticking up through a small slot. This is actually easier to make internal cuts with than a scroll saw, and makes straighter cuts too.

Rick
shootnstarz is online now Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined May 2006
118 Posts

... like shootnstarz said...
This kind of saw is great for internal cuts in a fuselage side. There is no arm, like on a bandsaw or scroll saw to work around. Just drill a hole and go. You have to hold the work down well and this is hard on little pieces.
allanflowers is offline Find More Posts by allanflowers
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:57 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,220 Posts
A jigsaw mounted in a box like that is sadly a rather poor substitute for a good scroll saw. But if you want to go that way I'd suggest you pay more and get a decent jigsaw that has better internal counter balances and that has the style of drive that can alter the angle of the blade so it retreats on the "upward" stroke and then jumps forward on the "downward" cutting stroke. That one feature, which is only found on the medium and higher priced jigsaws, makes using these saws so much better that there is no comparison.

For years I used a cheapie without that feature only at rare times because the saw was a "shaker" and cut so poorly. One day we got a DeWalt jigsaw at work with this blade advance feature and well tuned internal balancing. The smoothness of operation and the ease of cutting smoothly or aggresively was so nice that I immediately went and got the same saw for myself.

Allan, you did a great job on that saw table conversion but if you were to use a better saw such as the DeWalt that I bought or any of the similar models in other brands you'd smile all the more each time you use your conversion.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
23 Posts
Allanflowers,
Looking at your photo's, in the background, I can see a very small portion of your workshop. It appears you've put alot of time in setting it up. Can you send more photo's showing the entire workshop. I'm always keen to get more ideas of where people place their power tools, where people store their smaller items, and how their benches & cupboards are laid out and look.
I have a fair idea of what I want as far as location of my tools, but other peoples ideas are always welcome, as I'm happy to change for the better.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:38 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Get both.. they're relatively cheap for good quality.... You can get a good scroll for 60-70 and a good band for 90.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:12 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,062 Posts
I have both and the band saw is so much more useful that I rarely use the scroll saw. If I could only have one, it would be the band saw as I can always use a coping saw for those few necessary inside cuts.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:19 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,712 Posts
Amazing the variety of opinions....
I have a 21" throat scroll saw and a full size band saw.
They are 2 completely different tools!
The scroll saw will do very intricate cuts with a good finish in wood up to 1 1/2" thick, but slowly in the thick wood. The band saw will do quick cuts in wood up to 8" thick with a cut that needs additional work, like sanding. I use the scroll saw for 99% of the hobby work and the bandsaw for cutting 2x4's and the like.

Unfortunately the members making recommendations didn't state whether they were using mini bandsaws or a full size model. Perhaps a mini bandsaw with an 1/8" blade would do the job except for the inside cuts which I frequently do.

I don't have any idea where you can get a "good" scroll or band saw for ~$90. I would expect to pay somewhere in the $300-$800 range for solid tool.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Don't NEED Either one. You can scratch build for years without, done that! I would suggest not buying either one and thinking on the subject for a white, then you'll likely come up with your own idea about the correct tool to buy.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:44 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
331 Posts
Hop, I have the Delta 9" benchtop bandsaw, cost me $100 about 10 years ago and it cuts WAY BETTER than I expected. Rips through 3/4 oak or maple like butter. I use it much more than the big saw.

Well, I guess we have happychap ALL confused now with advice from buy both to buy none. This shows the diversity in the hobby.

Rick
shootnstarz is online now Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:57 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,062 Posts
As one of those who recommend a band saw over a scroll saw if you can only afford one, I have a 14 inch throat band saw (an old Sears brand) and have found that the best blade for most work is a 1/4 in metal cutting blade, yes, metal cutting. It makes a cleaner cut in most of the wood we use in model making. Blade choice is quite important for getting the most out of a band saw or a scroll saw.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:30 AM
USA, WA, Kennewick
Joined Nov 2005
501 Posts
The thing is you don't have to buy a new bandsaw..

I got a used Craftsman 12" saw at a yard sale for $75
Nice old all cast iron job.. it weighs a ton and cuts better than the new 13" Hitachi I sold before we moved..

I agree with the metal blade.. the 14 tpi metal blade makes nice smooth cuts in wood. It not surprisingly also does a nice job on metal. I've cut a ton of aluminum on the band saw.
sscherin is offline Find More Posts by sscherin
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:55 AM
Joined Jan 2009
23 Posts
Thanks all for your advice.
I'll initially get the scroll saw, but very near in the future, will also get a band saw.
I'm setting all these power tools including the linisher/disc sander on their own small bench (Solid Timber) with 2 wheels (Ikea $89.00), so I can manouver them to where I'm working next to my island work bench (2100 x 920mm solid door) with lockable castors. Also have a swivel chair for easy access to each power tool while working on work bench.

This is plan "A" anyway. In reality when the work begins, all might change. I have to start somewhere!