Old Nov 06, 2010, 05:20 PM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
597 Posts
Help!
help identifying this boat

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post in the sailboat section. Already built two footys and having great fun with them. quite a change from sailplanes but still fun.
I came across this boat a few weeks ago. Quite a deal for $20 bucks, don't know what it is besides it is a sailboat hull and has a mast. The keel is made out of pine. It does float but it wont keep the mast up in the water. Should I go for it and finish it and set it to sail or stash it in the garage, make a display out of it and go on with life? The boat has 37 3/4 length and 7 3/4 beam at the widest part.

Please see fotos attached.

Thanks for the help!

Enrico
enrico74ec is offline Find More Posts by enrico74ec
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:40 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
It looks scratch built, maybe from published plans but the length would make it seem unlikely to have been for a racing class. The keel looks as if shaped for ballast to be fitted. I'd say rebuild for a relaxing sail in a "retro" looking boat after giving the inside of the hull a good coat of varnish.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:57 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Looks like a T37 witha tradiional type keel.
http://www.modelsailboat.com/t37-rc-1.html
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:11 AM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
597 Posts
Thanks guys for the info. I compared it to the t-37 website and it definitively has a lot of resemblance. Now the question would be if there is anyone out there that might have a set of plans I could finish building of them. I know that the rudder and keel would have to be modified for starters, and sail shape and rigging not sure if can be just improvised?
If I where to put a keel and bulb, how long should the keel be and how heavy the bulb?

thanks for the help

Enrico
Old Nov 07, 2010, 11:40 AM
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Tippecanoe says min class weight is 5 lbs, go from there. Weigh your radio, then pick your keel weight. Get it as low as possible and under the center. Sail rig-looks like you already have mast and boom, so see if there are rigs that are similiar, see the AMYA site for rig sizes, but the Voyager II sails are inexpensive and available on the Victor site. Or you could use an IOM rig as the boat is just slightly longer. You really have a wide open choice there and on rudder and keel, too. Do what you like, make it look good and it will probably work fine. Keep us informed with pics. Luck!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:47 AM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
597 Posts
well Thank you all for your responses, I did more research on it and it is definitively a variation of the starlet 36. A free sailing design from the earlies 1936 or so. Here is a link to the article with plans I found. http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/modelyachts/Starlet36.html
Right now I kept in touch with Will from Tippecanoe Boats and he will help me out with the keel, rudder balast and sails. I believe they will be as close as to the original design and give quite a nice performance. So far I have sanded away all the hull bottom paint and I'm getting ready to start on the sides. Sorry no pictures of this process. the wood seems in very good shape.
Sad part is I 'll have to set it aside for a few until I can get my TD sailplane fixed for the Tangerine contest after Thanksgiving. and the following week I'll be taking the family to a Footy regatta in Vero beach. that should be fun!!

Enrico
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:21 AM
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Sounds like you have a very rough life, Enrico, Daytona, Vero, all nice places. Good luck with the sailplane contest. I just bought what appears to be a "Vanja" model on ebay. And thanks to you I found the plans on her at Miltons site. Thank you. I may start a rebuild thread. Here are a couple pics.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:32 AM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
597 Posts
wow, It looks nice! Yeap betwwen contest, rebuilding and building, and a new home, we are quite busy. I thought I had enough time to get organized and start doing all of these but my workbench is a clutter and still, I have to manage all these projects while trying to declutter it! lol I'll have to fix that so I can do simultaneous builds otherwise, I wont have enough time to play with all of them toys!!

Anyway, glad I was of some help to you!

Enrico
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:35 AM
Nederland, DR, Tweede Exloermond
Joined Mar 2007
64 Posts
If it is the Starlet (yes i think so), then you may find this YT-video:

Building the Starlet Model Sailboat part 1/2 (HD) (9 min 23 sec)

Our children made one each.

And a little bit of sailing:

Model sailboat 'Starlet' (0 min 43 sec)

Taco from the Netherlands.
knikvleugeltje is offline Find More Posts by knikvleugeltje