HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:27 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,143 Posts
Quote:
Just checked my HK order... here's something you don't want to see.
Held by Customs at Destination
I have been told that if you get caught at the customs with HK stuff (they usually declare less value than what you bought), it can cost you a bunch. Problem is, if you declare the right amount bought, the outside sticker may still be less value and if your box get checked, it can cost you. In Canada at least.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,956 Posts
I can't recall exactly, but I think I checked another order once and it said that, or something like that - anyway order came in with no problems.. That could just be a standard message too, just to show it reached customs.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,143 Posts
Bummer: some of the guys last weekend were using DLs and said that they couldn't fly together. They seem to bind to frequencies too close to each others. So far, lots of similar problems in the DL forum. The big meeting in Montreal may confirm this or bring a solution, as many have this system and soem people fron the FPV industry will be there.

I have been told that I could easily do 5 km distance with my 200 mw VTx on 900 mhz. I'd be happy if it is so. I'd like to order my dragon OSD, but it is BO everywhere.

I have also beeen told I'd need an IMU to make the RTH work safely, so the FY seems in order. I think I'm gonna order it first and see how it stabilizes the plane in the wind. Is it good with rudder only and elevon planes ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
fly your Bixler yet?
I maidened last night

I can see why this design has been so often recommended for FPV. It launched at 1/4 throttle, gained altitude quick & easy, and trimmed I was able to take my hands off the sticks as it flew a gentle right or left hand turn. All I had to do was give one side a little dip and she'd just hold it steady.

I have all of the FPV stuff sitting on my desk now... time to figure out where to place everything.
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Guys, I don't think you have anything to worry about re: customs. In Canada I have never had a problem with HK orders and I've even had the same message Art has now. Do yourself a favor and always declare the full amount as in my case it has never made a difference either way. My first 2 or 3 orders were declared at the usual 30% but every order after has been declared at 100% value.

Has anyone reading this ever had a HK order come by mail with their postal carrier asking for duty fees or received a letter or call from Customs Canada or USA asking for duty?
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,143 Posts
I heard of one guy in Canada that had a very big fee to pay for customs because the amount on the box sticker didn't match the invoice inside, although he declared the invoice amount when ordering at HK. The customs agent decided it was motorcycle parts and charged around 200 $ fee. He returned the box, they called back and had it sorted out eventually.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:37 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,143 Posts
Feiyu tech OSD + stabilisation combo

Anybody heard about or tried this ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:26 AM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,822 Posts
Hey guy's, just a heads up...I will have some recent footage up soon. In the meantime I am Eagerly awaiting this>
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdId=EFL4625
Dacono Air is offline Find More Posts by Dacono Air
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:32 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacono Air View Post
Hey guy's, just a heads up...I will have some recent footage up soon. In the meantime I am Eagerly awaiting this>
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdId=EFL4625
It's a beauty ! I love their stearman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:35 AM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Can I join your club now?!?

Holy smokes it was a whirlwind afternoon!

I don't know what got into me, but I had all of my gear sitting in a box in my den, and the new Bixler had it's maiden yesterday... why not start carving?

Please be gentle. I've been digesting every word of every thread for the last 2+ months, but frankly reading and 'do-ing' are two very different things.

I needed to build the pod to get all of the gear onboard the plane. Fortunately, many folks have created this wheel before so I had several pics to draw on.

Pod first:
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:39 AM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
moving on to some harder stuff

From there I needed to figure out how to protect my little caseless camera. In the tradition of Art's original "do it on a low budget"... I used scrap balsa, depron, Q-tips and glue
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:42 AM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Pod is getting close

I used some ply for a top joining piece (strength) and then drilled a hole into the bottom to access the servo arm screw. Everything I've done here was with accessibility in mind. This is my first go-around, and I was anticipating a lot of fiddling after the fact.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:47 AM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
More scrap salvage

I loved this part. Several years ago, when rare earth magnets weren't easy to come by, I read somewhere that the magnets inside the sonicare toothbrush were really strong. My first sonicare wore out 2 years ago, but I threw the carcass in a drawer thinking I'd want those magnets someday.

Today was the day. You can see the pod's foam "key" for the front of the bixler canopy area, but then I put two of the magnets on the underside toward the back.

Here is the pod all finished up. Pan works great. and all of my wires can be tucked neatly into the fuse under the pod.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:52 AM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Uh... should I?

Well, at this point my heart started beating a little faster. We've all been there, when we are about to fly and everything seems to go a little faster? The adrenaline starts dripping into your system and the tunnel vision starts creeping in?

I put everything together, with the battery for the plane in the nose, and then my 3s 450mah vtx battery velcro'd on top of the main battery. ho-boy I didn't even want to see what my cg was at this point. Honestly though, it was a little nose heavy, but I've flown worse. That got a green light.

Setting it up on our front porch, I was nervous that my pod wouldn't hold together. So I zip stripped the camera and threw a couple of rubber bands around the pod just for insurance.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:55 AM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
My co-pilot

I was actually going to do this! My faithful co-pilot of the evening was my daughter Jaydon. She's 14 going on 21... but in this case she was actually thinking that her Dad was pretty cool.

Here she is with my laptop and easycap running. The plane's fpv is pointing back at her.

The annoying little dog is her Rat Terrier, Nano. Mmppphh.