HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2015, 05:09 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Build Log
Carl Goldberg MIG 27

I know this model has been out for decades, however, I was given a couple recently. I gave 1 to a friend and we started putting them together. Finding instructions for the model is rare. I did find a few threads w/ideas to consider.

Through my research of the MIG 27, I found it has an interesting history. The fact that thousands of these were produced and used as target practice by the military peaked my interest. I guess as foamies go, the quality of the model isn't top grade. That means it's going to need some mods to improve the flight performance.

So here I go. But first, here's some specs of the FQM-117B.
Length 6 ft
Wingspan 5 ft 6 in
Weight 8 lb (mine more like 11 lb AUW)
Propulsion electric (motor undetermined at this time)

The first thing I did was beef up the wing w/a hardwood spar. Pics show that I made a trench in the foam to accept the spar. I installed lv wire for led lights. I used a small drill bit where I wanted lights and drilled into the trench. I used Gorilla glue to hold the spar in place w/the wiring beneath the spar. I spread some DAP crackshot after the glue cured into the grooves to even out the surface.

The wires exited the wing on the opposite side of the servo mount I installed. The servo mount is attached to plywood w/screws. The plywood was glued into the foam.
Tman49 is offline Find More Posts by Tman49
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2015, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Mig 27

The next item to beef up was the fuselage. I read there are 2 major weak points in the foam. One right aft of the wing and the other just forward of the wing. There is a route for a flexible pushrod for throttle control installed in the model. It's off center just a little bit, so I decided to use the channel to place wooden supports. I used large paint stirring sticks, from a hardware store. I cut them to the length I wanted. The channel needed widening a bit to wedge the sticks in. I glued them in after I was satisfied w/the fit. I used a clamp to hold the front part of the wood against the fuselage until the glue cured. The front one was pushed down so it was flush w/the fuselage. So when I looked at the fuselage from the right side I couldn't see the added brace. This level left room for running wires (servo, motor, etc.) under the wooden support. I might add one more short support right aft of the support to tie the fuselage just a little more. I've read some other modelers have used aluminum for support. This project is going to be low budget, see what I got around the house, make it work, type of thing.

The rear support was done in the same fashion. It was longer than the front one. It extended into the servo bay area and battery area.
The servo mount for elevator/rudder is shown. Paint stirrer stick was used for the support base, while popsicle sticks are recessed and glued into the foam and on top of the support bases. The height of the popsicle sticks were measured so when the servo is installed it is the right height for the elevator push rod. Standard size servos fit perfect between the mounts.
Last edited by Tman49; Feb 18, 2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Feb 18, 2015, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Mig 27

I wanted landing gear, so I needed to install 1/4" plywood to mount the mains onto. CG equates to the forward point of the wing tips. I put a string wingtip to wingtip and marked where the string went across the fuselage. The plywood was cut 5" x 8". I measured 3" aft of cg to mount the mains, and placed the wood. I needed to carve out foam in order to recess the plywood 1/4". While holding the plywood in place w/my hand, I used a long screwdriver to mark where the aft bolt hole would be that holds the fuselage against the wing assembly. I placed the LG on the plywood, then marked for the mounting holes. I used 1/4-20 blind nuts, three for the LG, one for the bolt hole. I used Gorilla glue to attach the plywood to foam.

I had LG, 3.5" Dubro wheels just laying around, so that was an easy choice to make. I drilled some holes in the aluminum gear for style and save weight.

I painted my model before I took a pic of the LG assembly. Once again using what I had on hand, midnight blue/orange latex enamel put on w/a roller and brush. Since blue is my favorite color, I'm happy.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Mig 27

The first nose gear I tried wasn't long enough even when I straightened out one of the coils. I went to a swap meet and found what would work. I needed to bend the end to form an axle. I measured the width of the wheel I was using, added enough for the set screw spacers on both sides of the wheel, then heated where the bend was to be. Then slowly bent a 90 degree bend in the rod. I used the installed plywood on the top and bottom of the fuselage to mount the two blind nuts that the nose gear went through. I drilled 2 small holes in the blind nuts so as to screw the blind nuts to the plywood. As an extra measure, I glued the blind nut on the bottom. I put a steering arm on top after I put a flat spot on the rod.

The height I got out of this allows up to a 16" prop on the model. Maybe larger depending on the mounting of the motor. However, I really don't think I'll use anything bigger than a 16" prop on this thing.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 05:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Mig 27

That last post reminds me to ask about the control method for the steering. I was considering using the flexible pushrod already installed in the model for this purpose. I'm having 2nd thoughts on that. I may put a servo connected w/the rudder instead. Does anyone feel it is a bad idea to use the flexible pushrod for the steering? I'll be using plane on grass runways.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Mig 27

I wanted a rudder. I read some tried it with mixed results. The key here is to have the rudder large enough to make a difference. 2" minimum seems to be the consensus.

Mine is 3.5" down to 2.5" wide, the other one is 3" wide straight down.
I put toothpicks horizontally in the rudder foam for more strength. I painted it orange, then I glued 3 hinges into the foam. Once the glue cured, I glued the rudder to the vertical stab.
Last edited by Tman49; Feb 19, 2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: arrangement
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Mig 27

The ailerons/elevator are to be increased in size. These were attached to the plane w/duct tape. I'll be using hinges on these. I'm also using wood in place of foam. Elevator surface area was increased 20% over the foam original.

I just traced the original on cardboard, then expanded the size using the same contour of the elevator. Then traced that to a piece of wood. After cutting, planed it down to 1/4", sanded it smooth, I painted it. Attached 5 hinges w/epoxy, then Gorilla glued it to the horizontal stab. I screwed the control horn on.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 04:25 PM
Mackinaw, IL
Joined Mar 2004
85 Posts
Nice build so far, I just picked up 2 planes myself, so I will be watching. What power plant are you going to be using?
Goplaneman
goplaneman is offline Find More Posts by goplaneman
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goplaneman View Post
Nice build so far, I just picked up 2 planes myself, so I will be watching. What power plant are you going to be using?
Goplaneman
Thanks Goplaneman, my buddy is planning on a 20cc size gasser. I'm thinking about going electric, maybe using this motor from HK,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
OR a Rimfire 1.20.
Last edited by Tman49; Feb 26, 2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added info
Old Feb 27, 2015, 05:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Mig 27

I wanted the ailerons to be bigger. I asked a carpentry buddy to make some for me. You can see the result in the pic. Old ones are 1.5"W, the new ones are 2"W. He used something that I believe will work great. These new ailerons added 5.2 oz. to the plane because they weren't balsa. The ailerons needed to be notched at the point of the fuselage for clearance as shown in the pic.

Here's a pic of some hinges I am using.
Last edited by Tman49; Mar 01, 2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: more details
Old Feb 28, 2015, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Motor

OK, I just pulled the trigger on this motor,
http://www.horizonhobby.com/power-60...70kv-eflm4060b

The price and specs on this motor convinced me to get this one. Also, dealing w/HH is a good thing.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Here's some pics of the paint job. The ailerons aren't on yet. And I don't have a canopy for it either. If I don't get the canopies for them, I'll need to make them.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Mig 27

I had to think how I was going to have the hinge point at the top edge of the trailing edge on the wing. The only way I could figure it out was to have a small gap between the wing and aileron the size of the pivot of the hinge. I believe that small gap will not effect the flight performance. I might be wrong, but that's what I have there.

I attached hinges to the ailerons w/glue & #2 wood screws.
I cut a slit where the 4 hinges are to be located. The slit was angled down toward the center. I needed to pry open the slit w/a small screwdriver in order to get the glue inside. Gorilla Glue is water activated. I used a small syringe to get water into the slits. Then slid the hinges into the slits.
Last edited by Tman49; Mar 02, 2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old Mar 03, 2015, 07:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Wow! That was fast. I got the Power 60 470kv from Horizon Hobbies today. If all goes well, I'll have it installed this weekend.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
I had some 11/32" plywood laying around, so I thought it'd make a good motor mount. I cut it to fit. Also cut two triangles for braces. I'll use an epoxy w/pin nails to secure the assembly.

I used red thread lock on the screws holding motor to X motor mount. I'll use blue thread lock for screws holding X motor mount to blind nuts in wood.

Pic shows motor temporarily mounted on wood for fitting in fuselage.