HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2014, 12:01 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
7,045 Posts
Discussion
New Samsung VR, Oculus and next gen FPV

I like tech. And It's so disappointing to view through video goggles like you're staring at a TV in the distance.

Emerging technology like Oculus is exciting because of the level of immersion it provides.

So glad they have been working with Samsung. And Samsung's new Note 4 will dock into a goggle like Google's Cardboard project. But with the teamwork with Oculus, I think good things will happen.

We just need to adopt all the bits and pieces to complete the integration for FPV flying.

Let's discuss and explore the pieces of the puzzle to enable this next step for FPV.

Here's Samsung's new Gear VR headset dock:

We got Intel publishing their research into low latency, interframe compression for lag free real time control and video transmission:

http://blogs.intel.com/intellabs/201...obile-devices/

And we got Animon about to release their SkyLink HDMI <1ms video downlink. 1080p @ 60 and 500m line of sight (LOS) in a sub 100g vTX. They even 2000m LOS solution.

http://www.amimon.com/skylink

Also, check out the CMOAR kickstarter projects for more ideas where this tech is going.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2014, 05:49 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,471 Posts
If even the Army video downlink is HD during cruise using AP only and switched to SD in the critical moments, it is with a reason...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 14, 2014, 04:55 PM
Joined Dec 2010
920 Posts
I got the chance to wear a friends set of these goggles yesterday! I'm an avid fpv'r and would love nothing more than to enjoy the fpv experience with a screen you can barely see the edges of. I don't think we'll be able to achieve LOW latency HD video transmission in the near future that would be practical to use on a small multi or fixed wing. With the quality we are getting from our ccd cams, I think we can still get incredible video just by converting the video to work on goggles like these.

I'm really hoping some great minds will jump in on this thread and share their knowledge of how these goggles could be made to work for fpv.

I'm sure you guys have already seen the EMR Lab's Transporter 3D built to work with the oculus rift:

http://emrlabs.com/index.php?pageid=3

If someone offered an affordable version of something similar to work with the the gear vr goggles and other up coming vr goggles, they would make a killing and possibly launch the hobby into a new direction as far as the viewing experience goes.

If I had a couple thousand $'s hanging around, I'd drop the coin on a couple gopro's for sterio video running to the transporter 3D and a Dev kit 2. But something a little more affordable hits the market, I don't think it's for me. I get decent enough video from my boscam AIO's to drop $2000 on a new setup for a little better experience.

KFM
drumbum961 is offline Find More Posts by drumbum961
Old Jan 07, 2015, 09:08 PM
WarpSquad: practice, practice!
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
1,792 Posts
Thanks for this post, Daryoon. I found it while searching the forum to see whether anybody had figured out a way to use Google Cardboard for FPV. Here's hoping...
Brainstorm is offline Find More Posts by Brainstorm
Old Jan 08, 2015, 05:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
26 Posts
I was excited to use this with my Note 4 and FPV with just the regular old SD link, but I have read that using the Note for Occulus results in overheating and the phone randomly rebooting. No go for FPV!
Steezus is offline Find More Posts by Steezus
Old Jan 09, 2015, 01:37 AM
WarpSquad: practice, practice!
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
using the Note for Occulus results in overheating and the phone randomly rebooting.
I guess there are good reasons to continue to use lowly FPV goggles for FPV...

If we give it another couple of months, I'm sure things will start to change. And by this time next year, it'll be a new world. In the meantime, let's keep flying what we have and sharpening our skills.
Brainstorm is offline Find More Posts by Brainstorm
Old Mar 04, 2015, 03:04 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined May 2014
5 Posts
Hi all,

I am an avid FPV pilot and happen to have the Gear VR as well. I can tell you that though the phone can get a tad warm it has never overheated and caused an unexpected reboot. I have been looking to try and find a way to use the setup for FPV and just have not yet stumbled upon the right solution. The issue I see is that as soon as you insert the Note 4 into the Gear VR headset it launches the Oculus experience and does not allow you to launch other apps that are not in the Oculus area. I understand that you can opt not to connect the micro usb connector to the Note 4, but in doing so you severely degrade the experience seeing as the Gear VR headset has sensors built into it.

It's only a matter of time before someone cracks this.

-JP
spectre909 is offline Find More Posts by spectre909