SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2014, 07:57 PM
United States, PA, Pottstown
Joined Dec 2009
279 Posts
Build Log
58" Eastbourne Monoplane by Peter Rake

Last year I bought the prototype kit Peter Rake's 58" Eastbourne Monoplane from Manzano Laser. Since then I've been acquiring the parts required to build this beauty. I think I now have most everything required (motor, speed control, receiver, servos, strip wood, etc.).

The other thing I've been searching for is documentation. To date, I've managed to find only four photos and a half dozen, or so, drawings. I think I've seen others (one with a pilot standing nest to it) but not been able to find them.
slow_flier is online now Find More Posts by slow_flier
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2014, 02:48 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,830 Posts
I wouldn't put too much faith in that cockpit drawing, it definitely isn't an E.A.C Monoplane.
That's often the problem when when there was only one built, documentation is hard to find.

Looking forward to your build.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old May 03, 2014, 10:24 AM
Joined Dec 2009
279 Posts
Peter, I hope the build lives up to your expectations. It will probably be a bit slower than normal, life is going to cause a lot of delays.

Well, I guess the first thing to do is to show what I got to used in this build. Below is a photo showing the contents of the Manzano kit. The laser cutting looks great and, after a quick inventory, it seems to have all of the required pieces.

I've also included a photo of the basic parts; a Supre Triger .10 motor, an Elctrifly 35A ESC, and a pair of TopFlite 4" spoke wheels. The wheels may be too heavy to use, but we'll see.
Old May 03, 2014, 05:28 PM
Joined Dec 2009
279 Posts
A small start

Well, I've made a start. The first thing I like to start with are the tail feathers. I find that building them gives me a feeling for how the designer thinks. In this case I have build one of Peter's designs before but habits are hard to break.

Tomorrow, when these have dried, I take them off the molds, add Titebond glue, and put them back on the forms to dry again. Once dry I'll sand them square and add the interior structure.

Till then. Good night all.
Old May 03, 2014, 09:14 PM
Joined Mar 2014
174 Posts
looking good
JakeL17 is offline Find More Posts by JakeL17
Old May 04, 2014, 05:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
279 Posts
Thanks JakeL17.

I got a little time this morning and afternoon to work on the rudder. This morning I glued the six layers of 1/16a x 3 /16 together and let them dry. After dinner I managed to put most of the rudder together.

I still need to add the aluminum tube into the base of the rudder for the pivot bar.

Peter:

I'm looking at the top of the rudder where you have a pin inserted to be the top pivot and thinking that that is awful light in the structure department. I'm thinking that I will add a small piece of the same tubing thar I use for the bottom pivot and a small pice of wire down from the top, through the aluminum support, to make the top pivot. I could also solder a small brass fitting to the wire for the supporting wire braces to attach to.
Old May 05, 2014, 04:20 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,830 Posts
That pin doesn't actually do anything other than prevent the top of the 'brace' moving. Other than that it's purely cosmetic and doesn't carry any loads. I'm not suggesting it, but the brace and rigging could be omitted altogether and the rudder would still work as intended. It's the hinge post that is the load bearing part of the arrangement.
So mate, I wouldn't sweat about the top end, just keep it light to avoid the need for more nose weight.

Pete
Old May 05, 2014, 06:10 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,652 Posts
I like the subject here, this is my kind of build. Suggest cf rod for the pivot bar? Or a bamboo kabob skewer, very inexpensive...
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old May 05, 2014, 08:11 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,280 Posts
Might keep in mind that Pete has probably built more Eastbournes in different sizes than just about anyone around. I'd follow his suggestions to the letter.

And this coming from someone who has hacked up a couple of his designs, usually causing issues with weight and balance when it came time to fly

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 05, 2014, 08:50 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,830 Posts
Phillip,
I don't think you could easily use a skewer as the hinge post on this one. It's an internal rudder linkage (because nothing I could find showed an external one) and it has to seat accurately in tube bearings at the tail. One tube in the top and bottom of the fuselage with the rudder horn between them, inside the fuselage.

Charlie,
Yes mate, Eastbournes and Pfalz E1s in numerous different sizes. Some types you just can't have enough of. I just love these simple monoplane types.

Pete
Old May 05, 2014, 08:36 PM
Joined Dec 2009
279 Posts
OK, Peter. I'll build it as shown. After studying the drawing on page 3 some more, I think I see what your plan is.

No progress today, worked late and had a few chores around the house after dinner.
Old May 06, 2014, 07:47 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,045 Posts
Neat project!
What weight and power are you shooting for? I as because while Peter's designs are light, those wheels are not. (I have a set of the 7" version and they are heavier than comparable Williams Bros.) I'd look around for lighter ones.
On the other hand, sometimes we have to "spend weight" on stuff that just looks good.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old May 06, 2014, 09:08 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,280 Posts
How big do the wheels need to be? We do have the 4 1/2" ones Pete designed for his Ponnier. They work out to about an ounce for the pair.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 06, 2014, 12:20 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,830 Posts
The tyres on those wheels are the heaviest parts. Just replacing them would reduce the weight considerably.
The Ponnier wheels are close enough that nobody is likely to notice.

Pete
Old May 06, 2014, 04:06 PM
Joined Dec 2009
279 Posts
I just ordered a pair (among other things).

I always have this problem - too many toys, not enough time.