HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2007, 08:41 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Rave
Have to share UH-60 pics

Heres some pics of a UH-60 that R.Swan sent me.
All I could say was, WoW!!
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:07 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
That is nice! Is that based off of one of your kits?
Greybird is online now Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Nov 06, 2007, 10:30 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird
That is nice! Is that based off of one of your kits?
Yes. One of my kits is a basic UH-60 . Apparently this guy has some awesome modeling skills with all the add ons he made for it.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:11 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,129 Posts
Oh wow, that paint job is perfect.. !!! Does that use a motor for the tail?
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Nov 06, 2007, 02:46 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Darth - Please ask this guy to post his setup. Your Master Modeler kits can yield some awesome helis.

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Nov 06, 2007, 08:51 PM
Fairfax, Vt USA
Joined May 2006
7 Posts
Greetings all. This is my first post here! First I want to say thanks to Darth for making some great bodies. This HH-60 is my 3rd of his. My first was a bell 222-UT on a Trex that I did up as a Coast Guard heli (which looks real sleek), second was a Kiowa Warrior on a blade cp, and now the Jayhawk. In fact I've only been flying heli's for really about a year. Im forseeing that that blade might just have too turn into a Dauphine.

Anyway as far as the setup. I have to say that this heli was a good challenge for me. It's unfortunate that more heli manufacturers dont see that all the really cool new helis are low boom with raised tail mechanics. And finding raised mechanics for the Trex was a real p.i.a. . Most of the places I attempted to contact didnt respond. I weighed the options of belt drive and electric and figured due to simplicity to go with an electric tail. This heli is a straight up Trex 450 SA with the align motor and speed control combo. I went with the SA because of affordability and the nice flat panels to bolt to. I relocated the boom to be much lower on the frame by using two hobby grade plywood plates bolted to the frame and sandwiching the stock boom block. The drive shaft for the belt remains in there but the belt is obviously gone. I used the stock boom and then made an extension with a wooden dowel that bolts into the tail. Attached to the extension is another wooden dowel rise and to that a plywood mounting plate for the tail motor. I was aiming for symplicity and affordabilitly (helis and affordabilty just dont sem to go well together). Eventually I could see using carbon fiber sheet for the subplates. The tail rotor is run with an Eflite park 370outrunner brushless motor and an Eflite 10A speed control. I am using also the Align Gyro. The prop on the back is a 7" slow flyer prop. I built a Basswood subframe that bolts to the bottom main chassis that attaches to the body and holds the landing gear. The lights are from Maxxlights and are powered by a 4 pack of AAA batteries. Balancing this thing was a real challenge. It is very heavy and im afraid to see what its actual weight is. The test flight with it naked was amazing. I could not believe how stable and hover friendly this is with that tail for a first. Much better than I had expected. The test with the full fuselage want more challenging and hands on. This thing is tail heavy for sure. But I know with some refinement (and a less windy day) I can improve it. I literally finished the body yesterday and now I have some wiring cleanup. I'm hoping to get some in flight pictures this weekend. I do have a small video that I will have to find a way to post on here showing the navigation lights and beacons. The body Darth made is great. It did take some good modification as his is the special ops style the the exhaust diffuser and IR jammer and I needed the navy variant. I was able to find great pics on airliners.net plus I have a friend stationed in Kodiak that got me a couple really nice photos to work with and this model is based on one stationed at that base. So.. I will make sure i get some flying pics on here and when im feeling brave (yikes) Id like to get some pics over water hanging a Gijoe diver. I "borrowed" my sons navy diver and hung him off the 222UT one day and it looked pretty cool Anyway thanks for reading my rant and good luck with your heli's. Next up.. hmm maybe a Eurocopter Tiger?
rallyman1us is offline Find More Posts by rallyman1us
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:04 PM
Custom Auto Upholsterer
Redding
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
YOU GOT SKILLS DUDE!!!
Very nice build..
Can's wait to see the video of that heli flying..

Nice job, thanks for posting..

Oh, and welcome to the board..
crashagain is online now Find More Posts by crashagain
Old Nov 06, 2007, 10:30 PM
nananabooboo!!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Man, If you need up-close pictures of the MH-60J let me know!!! I have 5 outside my office door! Awesome modeling skills.....
nieves50 is offline Find More Posts by nieves50
Old Nov 09, 2007, 02:28 PM
Phoenix
Joined Aug 2006
175 Posts
WOW! Beautiful heli and very detailed write-up. You're definately off to a great start here on the RCG. Welcome aboard!
sloonz is offline Find More Posts by sloonz
Old Nov 09, 2007, 03:03 PM
That whirly guy
Vivian, LA
Joined Jan 2007
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1us
I weighed the options of belt drive and electric and figured due to simplicity to go with an electric tail. This heli is a straight up Trex 450 SA with the align motor and speed control combo. I went with the SA because of affordability and the nice flat panels to bolt to. I relocated the boom to be much lower on the frame by using two hobby grade plywood plates bolted to the frame and sandwiching the stock boom block. The drive shaft for the belt remains in there but the belt is obviously gone. I used the stock boom and then made an extension with a wooden dowel that bolts into the tail. Attached to the extension is another wooden dowel rise and to that a plywood mounting plate for the tail motor. I was aiming for symplicity and affordabilitly (helis and affordabilty just dont sem to go well together). Eventually I could see using carbon fiber sheet for the subplates. The tail rotor is run with an Eflite park 370outrunner brushless motor and an Eflite 10A speed control. I am using also the Align Gyro. The prop on the back is a 7" slow flyer prop. I built a Basswood subframe that bolts to the bottom main chassis that attaches to the body and holds the landing gear.
::drool:: ::drool::

Nice work.

Anyway, have you thought about using a motor driven tail like you have but also run a normal pitched tail blades and mechanics that a normal Trex uses? Use the motor to spin the tail at a constant RPM and use the servo for quick tail control action. I know it's a little more weight, but the control would out-weigh the negatives.
Bothersome is offline Find More Posts by Bothersome
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:38 PM
Fairfax, Vt USA
Joined May 2006
7 Posts
Here are a couple pictures with the fuselage removed. I'm still working some of the bugs out. I did consider a mechanical tail but due to the success of helis like the CP Blade I figured that id give an electric tail a shot. And so far the tail authority seems ok and relatively scale. I'm thinking a 1:18 hoist operator in the door may be needed. All I know is the 8" of snow they are forcasting over the next couple days may impact this weekends testing
rallyman1us is offline Find More Posts by rallyman1us