Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Heh Heh.... I haven't flown it yet. Mainly because of all the detail. Yikes!

Buzz
LOL I thought you would have tried it by now with your wife video taping it for the National News Network.

She is a beauty Buzz but I cannot recall that stopping you from flying in the past. Give it to me and I will break it (in) for you LOL.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:38 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
LOL I thought you would have tried it by now with your wife video taping it for the National News Network.

She is a beauty Buzz but I cannot recall that stopping you from flying in the past. Give it to me and I will break it (in) for you LOL.
You got me again, Durk! But if it's going to get broken, I want to do it.

I ran another battery pack through it and got it about an inch off the wood floors in the living room. "I'm flying....I'm flying!" Then it darted off to the left and landed backwards. Very tricky to fly, even though it has a full stabilization system in it.
Baby steps......
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris13 View Post
Good evening,

I just stripped down and rebuilt my Lama V3 tonight - it's basically a V4 in an Alouette Lama body, as you probably know..
I bought a Lama V3 about 4 years ago. When I first got it I was almost scared to fly it, I thought I would wreck it, and I proceeded very slowly. Nowadays I can make the thing do anything. It is stable enough where I can take my hands off the cyclic and it will (more or less) stay in one place in mid-air for a while. The thing crashed quite a few times, Ive replaced blades, landing gears, shafts, gears, etc. It's a great helicopter. On a calm day I can sly it out the door into the yard, send it up pretty high, however for a while then fly it back into the house and land it on the breakfast table. It's a nice machine. Most of the time I fly my larger single rotor helis and the Lama sits on the shelf. But last night I decided to fire it up after many months., Charged up a battery, cleaned off a heavy layer of dust from the heli and took off Still flies great after all these years. Only mods I made to it over the years was to replace the swashplate with the aluminum CNC swash from Extreme and replace the flybar holder with the aluminum CNC from Extreme. The original plastic swash tends to separate and the original flybar holder was way too flimsy.
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,746 Posts
I'm at an age where I don't need to be fighting with a heli or quad. I want to go out and fly in a relaxed atmosphere. I don't even leave my yard except to fly my Champ plane. Coax's fit the bill nicely!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I'm at an age where I don't need to be fighting with a heli or quad. I want to go out and fly in a relaxed atmosphere. I don't even leave my yard except to fly my Champ plane. Coax's fit the bill nicely!
The same goes for me Jack, except that I like to fly around a well setup fixed Pitch micro as well, to keep me on my toes and from becoming too relaxed and complacent.
I still have an all stock esky lama V2 along with my upgraded coaxials and fixed pitch micros which I find all equally enjoyable.
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:41 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,746 Posts
I had a CB-100 that I flew in my basement rec room during the Winter. As with most things Walkera, you don't jump on the first offering of a heli, but wait for the brushless version to come out.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:12 PM
RC\crazy
United States, ME, Sinclair
Joined Dec 2012
31 Posts
Hi to all u out their,just bought my first heli a custom lama v3 on ebay will get it soon,ive been reading this thread for some time ,a lot of post's.
i hope it fly's good,i have read a lot of stores about how bad they can be also how fun that thet can be to fly.
also has any of u been able to convert to brushless and have it fly right?

just would like to know just in case the motors could need to be replaced , also has any of u tried fuse's that go between the 4 &1 and the motor's it say's it is to help stop the 4&1 from burning out in a crash ?

thank's
prostreetnova is offline Find More Posts by prostreetnova
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:27 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,746 Posts
The secret to keeping a 4-in-1 from burning out in a crash is to kill the throttle before it happens. Aero-Nutz and Xtreme make better than stock replacement motors without having to go to brushless. It'll cost more to go brushless than what it did to buy the heli.
If you need help with anything once you get it, we're here to help. Welcome to the addiction.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
RC\crazy
Joined Dec 2012
31 Posts
Hi
I just wanted to know if anybody had tried these fuses that go between the motor and 4&1 to keep 4&1 from burning out if you have a motor failure in flight?
The reason I'm asking this is I have a lot of RC cars and I have burned a motor out and it caused by ESC to go to and I seen they sell these fuses the goes in line and I want to know if these would help that problem?

Big Al.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:18 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetnova View Post
Hi
I just wanted to know if anybody had tried these fuses that go between the motor and 4&1 to keep 4&1 from burning out if you have a motor failure in flight?
The reason I'm asking this is I have a lot of RC cars and I have burned a motor out and it caused by ESC to go to and I seen they sell these fuses the goes in line and I want to know if these would help that problem?

Big Al.
Hey, Al....

I have to second what Kodac Jack stated. Almost all of this size and larger helicopters already have a fuse built into the 4 n 1. They are small breakers known as Mofsets. If you know you're going to crash, or hit something....cut the throttle. If you restrict the rotors in grass, etc... don't give the heli any throttle or it will burn out the mofsets. From my experience they are nearly impossible to replace. I've never seen a motor failure in flight that was caused by a restricted rotor set, unless it was bound up. The fuses can't hurt anything, but it seems like you would have to find fuses that would blow before the mofsets. If you do that it is entirely possible to blow the fuses in flight with a full throttle surge of power. So, to make a long story short, I would advise you to leave things as they are.

Buzz
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:25 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,618 Posts
I second Buzz's opinion. Also I have heard owners having problems with fused motors, some had breakers instead of fuses even.

Cut the throttle is still your best bet.

Another piece of advice, mark your battery plug in connection, where the male battery plug plugs into the female receiver plug. Yes they are shaped tp prevent reverse plug in accidents but they CAN be plugged in wrong. I have done it and burned the 4 in 1. A magic marker will work here.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:02 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
I second Buzz's opinion. Also I have heard owners having problems with fused motors, some had breakers instead of fuses even.

Cut the throttle is still your best bet.

Another piece of advice, mark your battery plug in connection, where the male battery plug plugs into the female receiver plug. Yes they are shaped tp prevent reverse plug in accidents but they CAN be plugged in wrong. I have done it and burned the 4 in 1. A magic marker will work here.
For some strange reason, I thought I was the only one who did this! lol
I paint the positive side bright yellow on both sides of the plug. I did have a battery short out once while flying my Big Lama. I was up about 50ft and suddenly the thing started trailing smoke. Nothing good can come from a smoking helicopter. The battery caught on fire... but was still putting out some power. I tried to save it, but it ended up sitting in the top of a tree. The fuselage caught fire and I started spraying our pump hose on it and it finally went out. I got the heli out of the tree and it smelled like an alien BBQ! Yak!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:58 PM
RC\crazy
Joined Dec 2012
31 Posts
Thanks for the info guys
yeah what I seen was the one set I called the fuse but I really circuit breakers,
yeah that was what I was wondering if they would cut out of flight, so I wanted to like you guys say and not use them.
I see the extreme motors you can change the brushes in them like in your cars but least in my cars they do not last that long even being able to change the brushes.
That's why was asking about being able to convert to brushless, also on the extremes and does not look like you can take the motor apart changed to bearings, like you can in a brushless motor.
Yeah I was looking at what it would looks like it would take to convert to brushless it looks like it would cost about $100 but brushless seems the last forever I have in my cars.
The extremes are about $36 for a pair with shipping, I was just wondering if they would weigh more than the others and if it would fly?

Thanks big Al.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:14 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetnova View Post
Thanks for the info guys
yeah what I seen was the one set I called the fuse but I really circuit breakers,
yeah that was what I was wondering if they would cut out of flight, so I wanted to like you guys say and not use them.
I see the extreme motors you can change the brushes in them like in your cars but least in my cars they do not last that long even being able to change the brushes.
That's why was asking about being able to convert to brushless, also on the extremes and does not look like you can take the motor apart changed to bearings, like you can in a brushless motor.
Yeah I was looking at what it would looks like it would take to convert to brushless it looks like it would cost about $100 but brushless seems the last forever I have in my cars.
The extremes are about $36 for a pair with shipping, I was just wondering if they would weigh more than the others and if it would fly?

Thanks big Al.
you are still talking lama3, right? I wonder, where do you live that the xtremes with shipping are soo expensive? They are not heavier than stock motors (well, insignificantly anyway as far as I remember) Plus, you can change the brushes for about 2$ ea, so it is cheaper to "prolong the life" of Xtreme motors than to get new other ones. Whenever I did use Xtreme motors, it flew very well (looong time ago, but I will try to find the link to a video... as I wont probably find the original video anymore ...)
And no, brushless will no longer cost you 100 bux (I hope Luv will chime in, as he did more brushless conversions than anyone else I know on this thread)

EDIT:
hopefully this will bring you to my first ever heli vid, which I took of my LamaV4 with Xtreme motors:
http://www.rcl-tv.de/video/1285/mein...r--heli--movie
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Dec 05, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:06 PM
RC\crazy
Joined Dec 2012
31 Posts
Thanks erdnuckel2
extreme motors that I seen were selling for $16.50 each and about two dollars shipping for each one.
I think you might be right though I probably will get tired of this pretty quick and want to move up to may be a fixed pitch heli.
I haven't got the heli yet but from the pictures and looks like it has stock motors so I'll wait to I get it and if it does I will probably does upgrade to extreme motors.
I was just wondering about brushless because when I converted my cars to brushless my runtimes were longer and there is no maintenance on the motors and the motors ran cooler, and had more power.

I bought this practice on this winter, because it is too cold up here in northern Maine to go outside.
Plus this is my first heli never flown before so everybody said: axles the best to start out with.
I have been practicing on a flight simulator ClearView and it has a lama 3 model and the helicopter section.
It seems to fly pretty easy in the flight simulator is very useful for getting to know your orientation.
It also had a honeybee FP in the helicopter section I tried that one in my skills are good enough to fly that one yet I crash all the time.
So I guess probably the coaxial was the best choice for right now.