Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:21 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,207 Posts
I would agree with that if a guy is just hovering around. I fly mine hard. And having a perfectly behaving tail is critical for me. Even hyperactive. Even the piezo hh gyro is barely acceptable. And flying without one was much worse for me. I have the EFLH1023 and it was ok during the very early days I was trying to learn how to fly. But the minute I got into the hh gyro my overall experience was much better. Especially for a beginning pilot.

Now I am totally spoiled. Having a true mems gyro transformed my heli from an ill mannered poor performing heli into something that enables it to move up to a much higher level of flight control where I was only able to fly in non windy or indoors before. Now I can fly it outdoors in almost any windy condition, and it competes for time with my CP helis. I literally have 400 outdoor flights just this summer and fall in just about every condition. . All 11 to 14 minutes without any failures of any kind. Plus, virtually no blade strike! Gotta love that.

Then again, most guys don't want to pour the time and cash I have into these projects.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis; [B
I would agree with that if a guy is just hovering around.[/B] I fly mine hard. And having a perfectly behaving tail is critical for me. Even hyperactive. Even the piezo hh gyro is barely acceptable. And flying without one was much worse for me. I have the EFLH1023 and it was ok during the very early days I was trying to learn how to fly. But the minute I got into the hh gyro my overall experience was much better. Especially for a beginning pilot.

Now I am totally spoiled. Having a true mems gyro transformed my heli from an ill mannered poor performing heli into something that enables it to move up to a much higher level of flight control where I was only able to fly in non windy or indoors before. Now I can fly it outdoors in almost any windy condition, and it competes for time with my CP helis. I literally have 400 outdoor flights just this summer and fall in just about every condition. . All 11 to 14 minutes without any failures of any kind. Plus, virtually no blade strike! Gotta love that.

Then again, most guys don't want to pour the time and cash I have into these projects.
Believe me, I just don't hover around! They were flown hard outdoors as well as indoors with no issues, but everyone is different as is their flying styles.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:44 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
I decided to go the EFLH2001 route. I got it installed and I was able to immediately bind it to my DX6i and it is working great now. After binding, the LED on the Control Unit is solid green.

Thanks for the help.
SJMarty is offline Find More Posts by SJMarty
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:50 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJMarty View Post
I decided to go the EFLH2001 route. I got it installed and I was able to immediately bind it to my DX6i and it is working great now. After binding, the LED on the Control Unit is solid green.

Thanks for the help.
Good Deal! - I'm glad your back flying!!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:19 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,746 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if you already had 2 CX3's, what made you buy a NEW CX2? I love the CX2, but would never pay the $$$$$$$ for a new one. There are plenty of already modded CX2's out there for pretty cheap money. That's what I bought and saved a ton of money on stuff that was only going to get tossed after I modded it anyway. Are you leaving it 100% stock? You HAVE to get the pivoting blade grips or you'll spend a fortune on stock blades that break as soon as you look at them funny. JMHO.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:07 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Well I went outside for some new years day flying and everything was going great and then I had a rotor strike and bam out of the sky like a dead duck. A lot of stuff is pretty messed up and bent... Needless to say I'm not so happy.
D.Yoder is offline Find More Posts by D.Yoder
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:09 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
hi guys HAPPY NEW YEAR
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:24 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Yoder View Post
Well I went outside for some new years day flying and everything was going great and then I had a rotor strike and bam out of the sky like a dead duck. A lot of stuff is pretty messed up and bent... Needless to say I'm not so happy.
It happens all the time and is just a part of learning to fly. The only way out of that is an extended shaft.
Happy New Year guys!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Yoder View Post
I still vividly remember the first time that happened to me. I was out flying, mid summer. Perfect day. In front of witnesses. And bang! It dropped out of a perfectly fine flight about 30 ft up and hit the ground hard. We all just stood there staring, kinda numb on my end. I looked up and just couldn't fathom what had happened. Kinda like the old star trek movie when the ship was cloaked setting down in the park and the gal ran into it. That actually passed through my mind. No wires, no birds. Nothing it could have hit. That, was when I discovered heli forums. And started learning, really started learning about helis.

That was also the turning point when my somewhat inexpensive heli hobby took a vast leap forward into the mod trails. And like a heroin addict, I was all in......:
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:43 AM
CX2 Newb
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Hey guys,

second post here. This seems like the thread to go for info on the CX2. I just bought one and am learning to fly. Somehow, sifting through 500+ pages of information just seems like quite a chore.

Is it normal to have virtually no cyclic control out of the box? Really seems like it should have more control than it does. I can get it up in the air but it just kind of floats around on it's own. The right stick doesn't do anything.

Any tips or tricks to remedy this?
monstertodd is offline Find More Posts by monstertodd
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:24 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,746 Posts
When you bind the heli, before you take it up in the air, check to see that moving the right stick causes the two servos to move. If you really want to see what's going on clearly, since you're not going to fly it, remove the rear half of the canopy so you can see exactly what the servos are doing. You should see the servos operating, the links moving and the swash plate tipping in response to your stick input. If things weren't what they should be, I guess you wouldn't even be up in a hover, but check things out anyway.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:48 AM
CX2 Newb
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
When you bind the heli, before you take it up in the air, check to see that moving the right stick causes the two servos to move. If you really want to see what's going on clearly, since you're not going to fly it, remove the rear half of the canopy so you can see exactly what the servos are doing. You should see the servos operating, the links moving and the swash plate tipping in response to your stick input. If things weren't what they should be, I guess you wouldn't even be up in a hover, but check things out anyway.
Yea, I've had it apart and verified that the servos are moving. I also tried moving the pitch control rod out on hole on the servo arm as well as turned my pitch control rod down 2 turns. That seemed to help the hover stability quite a bit.

Can you explain what you mean by "bind the heli"? What is that?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:01 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Yea, I've had it apart and verified that the servos are moving. I also tried moving the pitch control rod out on hole on the servo arm as well as turned my pitch control rod down 2 turns. That seemed to help the hover stability quite a bit.

Can you explain what you mean by "bind the heli"? What is that?
I think KJ actually means "initiate" the heli. When you first turn the TX on and plug the battery in. Once the battery is plugged in, your heli "initiates". At this time you should always check for servo/stick movement before taking off. IE: Pre-flight check Like when real pilots check their flaps before take off.

Binding is the process of connecting your heli and TX so they "talk" to each other. This is only done once (usually)

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:37 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,207 Posts
Also take a very close look at your plastic stock swash. It is not uncommon to have the swash separate between the upper rotating and lower base halves. The result is quite like you are describing. Very little if almost no cyclic control. Even it this isn't your problem at the moment it is quite normal to have these pop in half. Some CA glue judicially applied here can help.

But for now just reach in with your fingers if possible and push the halves together to see if they are secure.

Flyeroo, sorry, didn't mean to say you were just hovering around. Just a general statement. And Sonnier, HNY to you also. How is that awesome CX of yours flyin?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:07 AM
CX2 Newb
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Also take a very close look at your plastic stock swash. It is not uncommon to have the swash separate between the upper rotating and lower base halves. The result is quite like you are describing. Very little if almost no cyclic control. Even it this isn't your problem at the moment it is quite normal to have these pop in half. Some CA glue judicially applied here can help.

But for now just reach in with your fingers if possible and push the halves together to see if they are secure.

Flyeroo, sorry, didn't mean to say you were just hovering around. Just a general statement. And Sonnier, HNY to you also. How is that awesome CX of yours flyin?
Excellent! That is great advice, I will look at that in the morning.

Who makes the best quality aluminum upgrade parts for the rotor head? Swash, lower rotor, and upper rotor?

Also, the one thing I haven't seen are replacement pitch control rods. Does one of the companies make upgraded pitch control rods? Those plastic ones seem awfully sloppy.