Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:40 AM
Keep it up, I'm reloading
In my home
Joined Jan 2006
775 Posts
Discussion
2 Cell vs 3 Cell Lipos

I did a search here but did not come up with much concerning 2 vs 3 cell lipos.
I know the cell count is part of the equation for overall flight performance. Besides weight savings, what advantage would 2 vs 3 cell give me?
Sorry in advance if this seems an elementary question.

BTW, I have been using 3 cell lipos exclusively.
WACOFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WACOFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:56 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Depends what you want to fly, with what motor and for what purpose. For flying scale models in a scale-like way, often I am happy to use a motor that is physically harger and heavier than I need for the power output required, because I need noseweight anyway. I may also want to run a large coarse-pitchg prop for scale purposes. If I can't get deep enough gearing, dropping from 3s to 2s will often bridge the gap, though the price is lower performance than that motor could deliver on 3s. Weight of battery is not usually an issue for me, I don't like to run a pack more than 7 or 8c at wide-open throttle anyway, and 3-4c for average consumption.
Another benefit with most small speed controllers is that the BECs are a lot more capable of handling three or four servos without overheating on 2s than 3s.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:36 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
To expand on that..

MOST motors perform to give more power on 3s, although some are so hot wound that they are past their peak.

However power isn't always the ultimate choice..as WIP says, if you want a simple setup with a large prop on e.g. an ungeared outrunner, then 2s will allow that and reduce (as he says) the strain on the BEC.

Typically on brushed motors if the KV is below about 3500, 3s is best, if its over that then 2s is more appropriate, and pick the gears to get the prop right.

On outrunners, if the KV is below a couple of thousand then 3s is better, BUT if you want a big prop on, pick 2s and accept that you will only get half the power..but actually thrust may be similar..or better sometimes.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1