Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio

Kyosho Scorpion 2014 — Return of the Legend!

1/10-scale 2WD electric off-road buggy racer kit

Splash

The long awaited release of the vintage Kyosho Scorpion 2WD buggy!

Kyosho has finally pulled the trigger with releasing one of its vehicles from its storied past, the legendary Kyosho Scorpion 1/10-scale 2WD electric off-road buggy. The Scorpion is arguably one of those vehicles that helped create the landscape of off-road racing as we know it and it was the mainstay of Kysoho’s off-road racing program during the 80’s.

Now the Scorpion 2014 is not just a re-release, it has been revised and updated to help make the buggy more durable and perform better than it did when it was first released in 1982. The same designer of the first Scorpion is behind the new version and that is what any true Kyosho aficionado would want. This helps to retain the essence of the original vehicle and therefore it gives us RC fanatics an accurate representation of the past. It is clear to me that the re-release Scorpion encompasses all the details that made it so well-loved while also being decked out with upgrades.

Return of a legend!
Return of a legend!
THE KYOSHO SCORPION 2014
Scale1/10
Type2WD electric off-road buggy
Kit/RTRKit
Length15.67 in. (398mm)
Width9.29 in. (236mm)
Height5.71 in. (145mm)
Wheelbase10.35 in. (263mm)
Tread (F/R)7.79/7.68 in. (198/195mm)
Tire(F/R)2.95x.79/3.35x1.61 in. (75×20/85×41mm)
Gear RatiosHigh setting 6.9:1
Low setting 8.3:1
Weight (approx.)2.17 lbs.(985g) w/out electronics
Motor540-class (not included)
ITEM NO.30613B

CHASSIS UPDATES

• New higher-quality shocks that operate much more smoothly than the originals’ and the pre-load collars are more robust.
  • Kyosho utilized 6061 T6 forged aluminum for the main frame, shock towers, sub frame and the semi-trailing suspension arms deliver optimum strength and durability.
  • Transmission has be upgraded with a new two-piece, die-cast aluminum gearbox with sintered alloy and nylon 48-pitch gears.
  • For improved drivability and to add a level of protection to the gears, a modern style slipper clutch was incorporated.
  • Includes two gears for high speed and low speed settings.
  • Lightweight hex screws replace most of the self-tapping screws.
  • Equipped with 14 ball bearings.
  • Underside of chassis is countersunk for a flat chassis underside.

NEEDED TO COMPLETE

• 2-channel radio system
  • Steering servo
  • 540-class motor
  • Speed control
  • Battery pack
  • Battery charger
  • Paint for body

The Kyosho Scorpion 2014 is due to hit shelves late JUNE!

Learn more—KYOSHO!

Last edited by Paul Onorato; Apr 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM..

Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2014, 01:43 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,466 Posts
That's pretty awesome. Always loved the Kyosho chassis' with their frame rails.

I wonder if this is going to cause hate and discontent among the vintage collectors like Tamiya re-issues always do.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:47 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
686 Posts
This is very cool to see from Kyosho! I really hope they bring back the original Kyosho Optima. My vintage collection will be complete then. (well almost, still need to pick up a Tamiya Hornet)
cannondale1974 is offline Find More Posts by cannondale1974
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:58 PM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Nov 2007
1,501 Posts
This is a must add to the collection buggy. I have high hopes that we will see an Optima re-re next. Curious what the price tag will look like.
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2014, 04:04 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,426 Posts
I welcome re-releases. If someone wants to keep a car vintage, it's still possible. And a re-re gives to option to correct flaws or make a car be able to handle more power. I would love to drive an Optima at 50+ speeds, but I also know a stock form car will have more wear on some of the hard to get gears, so I don't power the cars to that level. Whereas a re-re could feature beefed up drive train, that can handle the extra power with ease. As long as the spirit of the car remains intact, so it still feels as driving the original one.

Also interesting to know that this re-re Scorpion is compatible with the Ultima RB6 ball diff, so it can be fitted as an upgrade:

SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:14 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
770 Posts
Do you think we will get the beetle shell re released???
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,840 Posts
Man that looks sweet...added to my buy list.

Kyosho did a really good job with this one. Lots of metal and a slipper clutch also could be upgraded with the ball differential from the RB6.

Only thing missing is CVDs...hopefully they release them as upgrades.
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Apr 23, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:26 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,935 Posts
Want! I too would love to see a Turbo Optima or Ultima
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:52 PM
EPP Foam is Good
Southern California
Joined Sep 2006
320 Posts
My first rc car was the Assault by Kyosho... what a great yellow and black schematic and it was so cool having the fuel engine. I went through I don't remember how many.. lastly the four wheel drive Optima if memory is correct.

http://www.vintagercweb.com/assault.html
RCSkyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RCSkyFlyer
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:53 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSkyFlyer View Post
My first rc car was the Assault by Kyosho... what a great yellow and black schematic and it was so cool having the fuel engine. I went through I don't remember how many.. lastly the four wheel drive Optima if memory is correct.

http://www.vintagercweb.com/assault.html
I remember the Assault well. Had to start it with a zip pull or electric airplane starter via the cone on the back. That was back when nitro cars would whip electric cars hands down. The good ol' days.

ps: It just occurred to me, wasn't the Scorpion made by Cox back in the 80's?
cannondale1974 is offline Find More Posts by cannondale1974
Last edited by cannondale1974; Apr 24, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:39 PM
USA, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Mar 2005
305 Posts
Wonder if Kyosho has the guts to do a Maxxum re re. 4runner re re would be great and a hit amongst the scaler crawler crowd.
specriv is offline Find More Posts by specriv
Old Apr 24, 2014, 06:56 AM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Hopefully the Scorpion 2014 will do really well for Kyosho and that will spur them on to produce other re-releases. I would think the Optima would be a great one to offer.
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:04 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,426 Posts
I bet Kyosho's mailbox is getting hammered with requests for a 2014 Optima. If they would fit it with a proper slipper, longer suspension arms like the Lazer ZX-R, and more durable gears in the rear gearbox, or even a belt, like the ZX-R, would be killer.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:27 AM
EPP Foam is Good
Southern California
Joined Sep 2006
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
I remember the Assault well. Had to start it with a zip pull or electric airplane starter via the cone on the back. That was back when nitro cars would whip electric cars hands down. The good ol' days.

ps: It just occurred to me, wasn't the Scorpion made by Cox back in the 80's?
Mine came with a string which you'd tie a knot at the end of and wrap around the a spindle at the rear of the motor... but that was a tough job to get the engine to turn over... I had a plane too so we ( my dad ) used an electric starter ( same used for the plane so you wouldn't get your finger cut off )...

I couldn't believe how fast that car was... you're right, nothing was as fast nor as aggressive sounding!!
RCSkyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RCSkyFlyer
Old Apr 24, 2014, 09:13 AM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSkyFlyer View Post
Mine came with a string which you'd tie a knot at the end of and wrap around the a spindle at the rear of the motor... but that was a tough job to get the engine to turn over... I had a plane too so we ( my dad ) used an electric starter ( same used for the plane so you wouldn't get your finger cut off )...

I couldn't believe how fast that car was... you're right, nothing was as fast nor as aggressive sounding!!
Those were really cool cars with the engine mounted at the rear. Brings ya back.
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato