Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:19 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Frederiksberg
Joined Dec 2009
16 Posts
Discussion
G-Loads

Hi Guys,

Is there someone who can tell me how to fix a problem with my OS 40FX,

I have installed the engine in a home construction of an airplane built for speed, the plane flies very well, but I have a problem with getting my engine to run smoothly under G-loads, as long as i fly straight and level it spins like a dream, but when I make abrupt pitch changes or tight turns (High G-loads) the engine hesitates until I ease the stick and letting the G-load drop, then it is back in the zone in a flash.

The engine swings a 8x8 or 9x8,

Why is this ??. Wrong level of the fuel tank in relation to the carb is my guess but I don't know

Thanks

Ulrich
ubihof is offline Find More Posts by ubihof
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:24 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
739 Posts
Are you running a Jett bubbless tank? Sounds like fuel starvation. You might want to ask some of the pylon raceing guys this question.....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:32 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Frederiksberg
Joined Dec 2009
16 Posts
Hi Gene, thanks.

No just a regular rectangular plastic fuel tank with a clunck in it.
ubihof is offline Find More Posts by ubihof
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:08 AM
United States, CO, Elizabeth
Joined Oct 2006
13 Posts
I had that same problem when I flew a modified scat cat with a
Rossi as a power plant back in the day’s.
Ended using a setup with a pre tank kind of like a hili to get rid of air and have positive feed.
If it seems like the engine runs better as the tank gets empty id raise it up more.
I also have used a small ID line from last tank to the carb to reduce air and syphon back.
flyingscale is offline Find More Posts by flyingscale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:19 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,051 Posts
Try setting up your tank as a Uniflow which is simply done by having a clunk on the end of the breather line so it can follow the normal clunk feed to the carb.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Jun 2008
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubihof View Post
... the engine hesitates until I ease the stick and letting the G-load drop, then it is back in the zone in a flash.
Ulrich
Perfect indication that you are too lean. Open the high speed needle valve a few clicks until the hesitation goes away.

A Tetra or Jett bubble-less tank prevents this from happening. But for sport flying and entry level pylon racers, just open the needle valve a few clicks.

Kurt
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth