Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
Yea, I'm still using std servos. Got the wing pretty much ready for covering, so I did a mock-up with fuselage and tail feathers. It went together very nicely.
arniebud is offline Find More Posts by arniebud
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:58 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
A good time to drop the expensive bits into the woodwork and see how the centre of graffiti is doing...

Looking good, here's to a smooth ride from here on in.

I started a new version of my plan, with a fuselage mounted alloy UC. Wimp, that I am

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:52 PM
Chesterfield, MI USA
United States, MI, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2011
48 Posts
arniebud,

Nice job on your build. I am still alive and well. I hope to be getting back to the Kaos in the next couple of weeks. The Kaos that I am converting to electric is a Kaos 40 ARF from Tower Hobbies.

Chris
Mac333 is offline Find More Posts by Mac333
Last edited by Mac333; Nov 08, 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
Got the fuselage done, including the canopy with pilot. Guess I'll just go ahead with the covering then cross my fingers and put all the good parts in and check the balance.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:13 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Can't beat a big battery hatch! The canopy with office manager installed looks good too.

I'd still be boring here - put the expensive bits in and see how the balance looks to be heading...

Good luck with the covering. Am resisting temptation to put more time into researching a 'period' scheme for my 'large scale model' than actually drawing up the plans

D
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
The covering is going well. Time to put the good parts in.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
Well I put all the good stuff in. The battery, ESC, receiver all positioned rearward.
Much to my surprise, balance check showed very nose heavy, needing about 8 plus oz of weight to the tail to correct. Not acceptable..
Plane B. Removed the A4120-7, and installed the U3520-6. Fortunately, I had used these same 2 motors in another project so that the mountings were all ready set,and it was a pure boltin. This also changed the power from 6 to 5 cell A123. Back on the balancer, and was able to balance out slightly nose down.with 1.5 oz added to tail.
This should be a very good combination for this plane since the total package is very close in size and weight as 3 other planes in my fleet. And they have the same power set-up. It also gives me option of different battery selections that I already use in the other planes.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
Finially maidened this early am. Went off without a hitch, just bit snakey in the on the ground roll-out. In the air it performed vey well, with first landing just a bit nervous.. All in all a very successful venture.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Good one Arnie. Nice fix on that wayward CG biz too.

D
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
Hey Dereck, Is your work shop unburied yet? Are you going to proceed on your Kaos design anytime soon?
Arnie
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
Thought it time for an update. This time of year in N.W. Florida flying can be somewhat of a crap shoot weather wise. I am an early morning flier, arriving at the field as dawn is just breaking. This is great in the summer, but late fall and winter not so much. It is frequently frosty when cold, and foggy when warmer, and very windy later in the day. As such, there has not been many mornings to fly. Got out yesterday and flew the Chaos with probably the most air time to date. As a project, this one has been very satisfing, not only for the build, but for the performance of the finished product. Even with the taildragger lg. ground handling is suprising docile. In the air, this is a very quick airplane, and it goes where you tell it too. Then, when time to land, it likes to just float in and land softly. Don't know ow it could be better.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:14 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Would settle for a little early AM frost . Sounds like you've built yourself a real good sporty flying model for sure.

The motor looks good in that open glow-ish front end too. May have to be idle and use that style of front on my K-E-os large scale model. Good to hear your taildragger UC works w ell too.

D
Old May 21, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1 Posts
Anyone know the CG for the Chaos

I just bought an unfinished Chaos at an auction, can anyone tell me where the CG should be, I'm converting to electric and need to do some set up.

Thanks in advance
Buckfly is offline Find More Posts by Buckfly
Old May 22, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
Buckfly. The Bridi print that I built to shows the CG at 37/8" back from the L.E. at the fuselage. The koas as sold by Tower may be somewhat different.
Arnie
Old May 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfly View Post
I just bought an unfinished Chaos at an auction, can anyone tell me where the CG should be, I'm converting to electric and need to do some set up.

Thanks in advance
If it's the Tower Hobbies Kaos, the assembly manual is at:
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...owa2052mnl.pdf

In the case of the fast becoming 'legendary' 'K-E-os', it's now in a large, custom made shipping container (two plate boxes taped together, you get very imaginative when you move a lot...). Fortunately, The Move bit before I glued the tailfeathers on, otherwise it would have been far more fun.

Where it will next see daylight is still up for grabs...

D