to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:34 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Hey guys, I just got this response from FMS tonight...(I edited for grammar).

"...I am very sad about your loss because of the bad design of the hub spinner. It is a sad thing to know it and it is a must for us to modify the hub. To solve this problem, we have redesigned the hub yesterday in a short time and sent the drawing to the molding factory already. We have to wait about 8 days to get the new hub but we will push them to speed up and finish it. The new Hub design is much better and stronger than the previous one, moreover, the material will be better than before. I feel sorry and shamed for your loss, we have decided to send you a new F4U PNP to you after the new hub is ready, please let me know if it is ok for you. This is a terrible thing which makes us reconsider a lot about the design and safety issue. We haven't made any big models like the 1700 before, so this is totally our problem that we don't have a whole testing for all the process. We held a meeting to discuss this issue and FMS will pay more attention to every process and think more about the design. Thank you again for you feedback and hope the new hub will be ready ASAP to let you fly again."

I knew FMS would get right on this issue and they have. I'm glad to be the guinea pig as long as the issues get fixed. I'll take one for the team any day. LOL...
Heya Todd,

I've been in communications with FMS since they all got back from holiday concerning their new Alum E-Tracts, and I mentioned your exploding prop hub. I suggested they might want to extend the motor/prop shaft another few mm to move the hub/prop assembly a little further out from the cowling. I'm expecting a response sometime overnite so I'll let you know what they say.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:45 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
sounds vaguely familiar ...lol
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:54 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,808 Posts
I am hoping they re-design the hub for the 1400 series too. Thats also crappy (along with those blades, that can apparently break without any obvious reason). The hub should be alu, the blades nylon-ish.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
I am hoping they re-design the hub for the 1400 series too. Thats also crappy (along with those blades, that can apparently break without any obvious reason). The hub should be alu, the blades nylon-ish.
Fwiw, I personally think their present method of using bolts/screws to clamp these blades to the hub has got to go. The blades need to be supported around their entire circumference at the root to maximize the strength available in the blade mass there. Ridges, shoulders, or flanges molded on the hub and blades and clamping around the edges of the hub would be called for in these that simulate radial engined aircraft.

As the size of the units gets larger, the strength needed goes up in a proportion to call for another look at the materials and engineering.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Oct 10, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:40 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
I agree!

Especially the 3 blade Hellcat/T28 and 4 blade P47/f4U hubs. They are brittle! With absolutely no nose overs or prop strikes my Hellcats hub started developed cracks. Had to purchase a new hub from RC-Castle. I would like to see something stronger or made out of metal in the future.
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:41 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
sounds vaguely familiar ...lol
hehehe
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
233 Posts
How much has shipping been for those who have ordered the 1.7m Corsair from RC-Castle? I get $259 when I started to order which is more than I am willing to pay. Am I missing an option to select?
dmyers0403 is offline Find More Posts by dmyers0403
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:17 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
$259? You may have other items in your cart. Think when I checked it shipped to CA was $112 (2wk shipping) and $145 ( 3day min - 1wk max shipping). So either way your looking @ $500- $550 shipped, Yikes!
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Heya Todd,

FMS responded back to me last nite with essentially the same info you posted:

Hello Gary,

We did notice the spinner problem of 1700mm F4U, it is not strong enough, we will make new stronger spinner, and for the orders of 1700mm F4U will be replaced with stronger spinner once it is on line.

Your email was forwarded to Leo, thank you for your suggestion.

Best regards,

Yolanda

In another email Yolanda stated: "Regarding your questions, please wait a couple of days, our engineer is still on his vocation until today, I will confirm with him once he is back to office."

So we should have some definitive info later this week.

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:28 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Fwiw, I personally think their present method of using bolts/screws to clamp these blades to the hub has got to go. The blades need to be supported around their entire circumference at the root to maximize the strength available in the blade mass there. Ridges, shoulders, or flanges molded on the hub and blades and clamping around the edges of the hub would be called for in these that simulate radial engined aircraft.

As the size of the units gets larger, the strength needed goes up in a proportion to call for another look at the materials and engineering.
I agree with you Jack! Much like the VarioProps! When I get a chance today I'll shoot some pics of the VP 16D hub and prop configuration.

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Todd,
I am so glad to hear that they're sending you a new plane...that's fantastic
Thanks Brandon...Yeah they did me a solid there. Much appreciated of course.

I agree the whole assembly needs to be redesigned for the reasons gnats listed. These larger props need more support at their base. They are splitting right between the two screws.

Thanks Gary, I forgot to mention Brandon's advice for the extended motor/prop shaft for added and neaded clearance. That's part of the issue too...
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
I'm glad to hear they working on this and a better replacement. I wrote Austin about this Months ago and informed them of this issue and what was eventually going to happen if they didn't do something about it PDQ....I never got a responce from them or him. Now it's good to see and hear they are all over it and finally doing something....now I'm just waiting to see what they come up with? and when the replacements will be sent?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:11 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
I sent my contact the synopsis of all the fine ideas covered here in recent pages. Brandon, I hadn't heard from my contact in a while. Well they were on holiday (they have some lengthy holidays there!) and Austin and Yolanda are not in the decision-making circles as far as I know.

Like any manufacturer I imagine, what gets their immediate attention isn't an email suggestion but video evidence of a crash that could have had safety implications that is making the rounds online. Again, I do give them credit for jumping right on the problem.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I sent my contact the synopsis of all the fine ideas covered here in recent pages. Brandon, I hadn't heard from my contact in a while. Well they were on holiday (they have some lengthy holidays there!) and Austin and Yolanda are not in the decision-making circles as far as I know.

Like any manufacturer I imagine, what gets their immediate attention isn't an email suggestion but video evidence of a crash that could have had safety implications that is making the rounds online. Again, I do give them credit for jumping right on the problem.
O' I hear ya, and I know what you mean, You already know what I did with it here and where it all went and who is aware of it, and examineing VERY!!! Closely, which would impact import and sales of them here in the U.S.

I will definatle be glad when they have a proprer replacement and send it so I can unground my P-47 and fly it safely again.

It's much like the smoking retract videos I did a while back and posted and sent them....then they finally did something about improving the retracts...but I never did recieve replacements, except from Raymond @ RCCastle for the spare pair I had bought from him
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Oct 10, 2012 at 01:29 PM.