HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:03 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Might cut out a 40'' winspan park jet out using some gear i have for 3s set ups with a 480 2200kv outrunner and 6x6-7x5 props as well.. seems to be a popular power combo and bigger flys better as well.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:51 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
40-48 Inch Park Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Might cut out a 40'' winspan park jet ... and bigger flys better as well.
I have read the same commit by others and tend to believe the statement is true. I don't know why I feel comfortable with the larger size, but it might have something to do with easier to see. Larger does make transportation a bit of a challenge, as well as storage between flights, but I still want something closer to a 50" wingspan. I will have to deal with the other issues when they pop up.

Love the idea of a dedicated thread for the simple park jet design, but that also means we will have to keep it alive until others notice it and join in. The video you included are a great way to advertise how nice the models fly. The video also help me to get an idea how to cut foam board to make a copy, or near so. I think I already told you why the delta design has peaked my interest. For those who are new to this thread, in my area heat is a big deal (Global Warming) these days, and so is wind. A delta design seems to handle wind better, even at slower speeds.

When I saw how nice and smooth your park jet design flew, I started thinking it could be a great solution for a "not so fast" delta craft I could copy and fly often, once the heat cools to a tolerable temperature. To manage the wind obsticle better, the delta wing, thicker foam, and heavier gear should be a workable solution. In this case, something in the 40-50" wing span range should handle the 6-12 mph winds better, giving me more opportunity to fly. If the theory turns out to be true, I am sure others will want to make their own copy of the design.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:11 PM
USA, FL, Homestead
Joined Jul 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post

Love the idea of a dedicated thread for the simple park jet design, but that also means we will have to keep it alive until others notice it and join in.
you mean something like this?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352329
miamiracer305 is offline Find More Posts by miamiracer305
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:56 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Oh Wow! That is a wonderful thread! I obviously subscribed. Looks like I will be busy and need another life time just to get through half of the builds offered. Thanks so much!
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:29 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
I have read the same commit by others and tend to believe the statement is true. I don't know why I feel comfortable with the larger size, but it might have something to do with easier to see. Larger does make transportation a bit of a challenge, as well as storage between flights, but I still want something closer to a 50" wingspan. I will have to deal with the other issues when they pop up.

Love the idea of a dedicated thread for the simple park jet design, but that also means we will have to keep it alive until others notice it and join in. The video you included are a great way to advertise how nice the models fly. The video also help me to get an idea how to cut foam board to make a copy, or near so. I think I already told you why the delta design has peaked my interest. For those who are new to this thread, in my area heat is a big deal (Global Warming) these days, and so is wind. A delta design seems to handle wind better, even at slower speeds.

When I saw how nice and smooth your park jet design flew, I started thinking it could be a great solution for a "not so fast" delta craft I could copy and fly often, once the heat cools to a tolerable temperature. To manage the wind obsticle better, the delta wing, thicker foam, and heavier gear should be a workable solution. In this case, something in the 40-50" wing span range should handle the 6-12 mph winds better, giving me more opportunity to fly. If the theory turns out to be true, I am sure others will want to make their own copy of the design.
The big yak is finished for now minus gear,once that plane has been flown i'll start on more park jets. Bigger does fly better for a number of reasons,Deltas are very stable for 3D and im torn between a couple of airframe types for bigger park jets.. might just have to cut out a couple different ones and see what i like flying better. 48''-50'' planes i cut out a while back but never did much with the mock ups,other things got in the way and i had limited gear for planes that size. On videos,in this day and age its a given to show POC or demonstrate a design good,bad or other.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:34 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
The 3d plane worked out well,on to the next few projects. One that ive been putting off for quite some time is a ufo nightflyer.. cut one out the other night and will probably have it maiden ready in a week or so or when time and radio gear allow. Another park jet in a larger size than the 27'' wingspan one should be flying and eventually enlarged to a 48'' wingspan size but im still debating staying with a delta design or a more common fighter jet style park jet.

GRX 46'' Yakzilla 3D Foamie Scratch Build Maiden! (3 min 32 sec)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:59 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I like the looks of your prop jet. Its a very nice flyer, too.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:38 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Big Pink Foamies - Fly Better

From the demonstration video, I would have to agree it sure did look like the big foamie flew better and in a fashion that tickled my fancy. You may have posted the engine, esc, propeller and other details already, but would you mind listing the details again so I could compare to components I have on hand? If I knew the over-all weight of the build and the motor/propeller used, as well as other details, it would be easier to see if I have what will be needed for a copy. Your other projects look very interesting also.

The round UFO design looks interesting, sort of an all flat NutBall, or rounded PBF. I am currently working on a version of the Funky Flier, a project I started a few months ago and have put notes in my blog. Once I get the larger version put together, glide tested, and RC components installed, I hope to maiden to see if all I am expecting from the canard design holds true, or not. The smaller test gliders did suggest it would make a very nice slow flyer in the much bigger size with RC gear. I have been purchasing (Internet) RC gear I think will handle a bigger version and a bit heavier to do well in the winds we tend to have.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:46 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Some details on the grx yakzilla foamie. Its somewhat smaller than the original grx for a couple reasons,for some the 48''x51'' grx v1 was a bit to large for easy transport and by decreasing the wingspan and overall size it ups the wingloading slightly using similar gear. More glide,the weight helps for snappy moves etc. It has a 46'' wingspan and 49'' length at the prop hub to the rudder. The maiden and second flight were both over 7 minutes so i cut the flight footage down and you get the jest of the flying and popular maneuvers being flown with it. Power set up could be from a park 480 with a 12x6 at about 300watts to 400watt set ups. In the video its a 400watt set up with a 13'' prop on 3s. Auw is 32oz(31oz and some change) but depending on power system and if you omit the landing gear which weighs about 2oz the weight can drop to the 28-30oz range on 3s set ups.

Specs on gear for yakzilla:
40amp hobbyking esc
turnigy 3s 2200 20c lipo
torque 2818/900 outrunner(looking at hobbypartz rocket outrunners as well)
13x7xoar but i prefer 13x6.5 apc(a xoar 13x6 would be best probably)
2 hs 81mg's and 2 82mgs
Ar6000

The ufo is different,the local shop has some little epp bugs etc and the whole highly lit up nightflyer thing looks like fun from what ive seen. Stable,gentle,slow is what im looking for but highly maneuverable with a little speed will be ok as well with more power if i go that route later for non night flying with it. Will be several phases probably to it and then i'll decide what works best for me.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 04:11 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Thanks and keep us posted. Most of the newer gear I have purchased lately is in the 200 watt range. Finally did get some 4s battery packs in the 1000-1300 mAh range. So it may be a few more months to a year before I power up into the 300 watt range, but I do have a few motors collecting dust that might be higher wattage. I know of one already on a large balsa RC plane I purchased from a club member and he was running it on 4s. I have it in storage until I am flying the bigger planes and think I can fly it without getting over-whelmed.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:47 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
The ufo is coming along. Probably fly it next week when i can get some carbon for the control rods to finish it up.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:02 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Got a couple more flights in with these today.

GRX 46'' Yakzilla Scratch Built 3D Foamie Trying A Couple Props! (4 min 36 sec)

GRX Park Jet Fun Flying! (3 min 23 sec)
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:37 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Looks like some real big fun to me.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:18 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
The current one im flying. Maiden in the yard with this one,will get some open area higher speed in with it when i can.

New GRX EPP Park Jet Auw 6.2oz (3 min 59 sec)