HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:07 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
A few posts back HypoThermia, Ian, posted about NTSC to PAL conversion for using the video files to make a DVD.

He gave me a very short sample video, with very high motion, so I can test with my programs.

I just made some tests.
I used:

* Cyberlink Power Director 9
* Corel Video Studio Pro X4

http://hotfile.com/dl/120650343/1627...l_dvd.zip.html

I could use the files to the Ulead (Corel now) DVD Movie Factory 6 so to make a DVD. But they are too small sized for a DVD (it must be at least 1GB so to be compliant with all players).

I do not have a DVD authoring program that handles H.264 videos directly. My old Movie Factory cannot.
But I`m pretty sure that the new version can do what Video Studio Pro X4 did, plus the authoring. So you may use/need only one program.
It does some trimming also, if it is needed.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:37 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
Has anyone tested one of these. It doesn't seem to comply with all the HD features but is it any good? I can't find any reviews.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DVR-U8-US...-/120705870124
It's not HD. Try the "Mega Keychain" thread for possible user feedback.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:25 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if I explained it very well, but here's the bottom line.
Outstanding Tom, thanks.

I tried to pull up that project and changed the aspect ratio setting. It doesnt want to save it again so I am going to start over and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:42 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
can you guys critique this video. It seems to have lost some quality. I will double check the WLMM settings, but I think I saved it as 1280x720.

It also has a section of the pic that is out of focuse, like the whole upper left quadrant, is there any way to fix this? The center and near right seems ok. For flying, I will most likely adjust focus closer to infinity than it is now.

The 2nd #11 does not have these issues. Sorry its not flight, but I guess its ok to break the trend every once in a while.

http://vimeo.com/25059478

Pat

edit, p.s. based on retracing my click, I think I might have selected the 1080p save selection.... would that explain what looks like a loss of quality on the vimeo post??

But vimeo says its a WMM file that is 1280x720>? so I have no idea. It's definately not as good as original on my screen.

Thanks for comments.
Very cool, I used to race Mid-Ohio in my GT1 Camaro. It brought back memories.

It looks like your focus needs adjusting to a little further away. The fin on the race car is in perfect focus. How to focus is posted in the first few posts.

The transcoding also may have degraded the picture quality.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jun 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
can you guys critique this video. It seems to have lost some quality. I will double check the WLMM settings, but I think I saved it as 1280x720.

It also has a section of the pic that is out of focuse, like the whole upper left quadrant, is there any way to fix this? The center and near right seems ok. For flying, I will most likely adjust focus closer to infinity than it is now.

The 2nd #11 does not have these issues. Sorry its not flight, but I guess its ok to break the trend every once in a while.

http://vimeo.com/25059478

Pat

edit, p.s. based on retracing my click, I think I might have selected the 1080p save selection.... would that explain what looks like a loss of quality on the vimeo post??

But vimeo says its a WMM file that is 1280x720>? so I have no idea. It's definately not as good as original on my screen.

Thanks for comments.
SORRY TOM.
I used to race VEE,s at WATERFORD HILLS and MOSPORT in the late 70,s early 80,s, LYNX B.
Thanks for the memorys.

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post

SORRY TOM.
I used to race VEE,s at WATERFORD HILLS and MOSPORT in the late 70,s early 80,s, LYNX B.
Thanks for the memorys.

RUD
Please use PM for off topic discussion. Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:31 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Sorry for the distraction.... I was always one of those kids in class....

Tom, I changed the aspect ratio in the Project view, re-did the video, and I think I have the same exact result.

I won't post the link to the 2nd vid, if you want to check to verify no change in outcome, you can just go back to the other one and click on it in my video collection.

I think I now regret signing up for the plus membership.!

I remember your brief bike video ( we also do bike tours) its clarity, even online, seemed to be exactly as viewing off of the camera? How many pages back do I need to go to find that site? Don't know the term to search for otherwise I would.

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
I would like to make a custom case for my camera and angle the camera down for better shooting in flight. Has anyone done this?

I took it apart and took the screws out of the board, but it seems the camera itself is glued into the case. Is there a good way to get it out? I don't want to break it.
ca323 is offline Find More Posts by ca323
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:33 PM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca323 View Post
I would like to make a custom case for my camera and angle the camera down for better shooting in flight. Has anyone done this?

I took it apart and took the screws out of the board, but it seems the camera itself is glued into the case. Is there a good way to get it out? I don't want to break it.
The glue in my #11 cam is rather soft. I can pull it out of the glue without any problems. Mind the ribbon cable! Dont damage it.

When the camera is out of the housing, you can get the glue out with pliers, pin etc. Re-use the glue by putting it on the point of a nail, heat it (it's hot glue) and put the drop of glue where you took it from, back in the housing, replace the camera (in your case a presumably modified housing so the cam points downward.
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:07 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca323 View Post

I just tape a foam wedge to the normal case, then attach the wedge to the plane... much easier, I think, but maybe yours is meant to be a more permanent mount than mine.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:11 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:

I remember your brief bike video ( we also do bike tours) its clarity, even online, seemed to be exactly as viewing off of the camera? How many pages back do I need to go to find that site? Don't know the term to search for otherwise I would.

Pat
I think you mean this one?

A tip. Use the "search this thread" link, then select "advanced search" to get a more definitive seach box. Put my user name "tom frank" in the user field, and the work "bike" in the key word field. You'll get just two hits, with the one I linked above being the first one. Quite fast by that method.

BUT, that video is not on the Vimeo web site, but rather exposureroom.com, which has even better video quality. But that site is intended more for semi-pro and very serious videographers, not hacks like us, so I don't direct anyone there normally and only use it when I really want to upload a video and my one per week limit for HD uploads has already been used at Vimeo.com.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 16, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:36 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Tom, I changed the aspect ratio in the Project view, re-did the video, and I think I have the same exact result.

I won't post the link to the 2nd vid, if you want to check to verify no change in outcome, you can just go back to the other one and click on it in my video collection.

I think I now regret signing up for the plus membership.!

Pat
Your second video does have the same reduced size image as the first, but in a 1280 x720 frame. Does the video look like this when you play it locally on your PC? If it doesn't and fills the entire 1280 frame with no black borders, then there is really something strange going on. If it plays locally with the black borders, then you are still doing something strange. There's no way I know to save a video from WLMM with black borders like yours other than the way I mentioned.

Also, when I do a "save as" to download your upload, the file requester for renaming the file shows your video with an .asx extension, not .wmv. The .asx file is a Windows Media Player play list file extension! Does your file have a .wmv extension when you upload it? What profile method are you using to save the video? If Vimeo is creating this problem, they will certainly want to know about it and are usually very responsive to user email.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:19 AM
Brazil, SP, São Paulo
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Bought a #11 from hxelepro360 and after the brilliant work of Brazilian post office, it arrived 2 days ago after 1 month sitting in Customs.
I promised Diana I would leave a few good words about it, and I can't complain about the camera and her service.

Although it looks cheap (and indeed it is), the overall quality is better than I expected, including the internal parts and components.

FW upgraded to continuous recording and no date stamp, followed tutorial included in the file and it worked great.

But the camera went for a dive and it's not working anymore, hehehehe...
I attached the camera to my puppy dog and played with her a little... she went for some food and the camera fell into the water bowl... hahahaha... and it wasn't even recording, else I'd have a great shot of a diving cam...

I left it dry but it's not working anymore. It can be charged and turned on/off, but don't do anything else (not even the card reader is recognized).

By the way, I asked about rotating the lenses a few pages ago (twisting the lens/image sensor in 90º if you're looking straight to the front of the camera) and I realized it can't be done, the data ribbon is too short to allow rotation. It should be longer or replaced by wires.

Bought a "JUMBO" to test (black, BMW logo), it's going to my helmet (main priority) and I'll buy another regular #11 for my heli.

"Ture lens", according to Diana are 720p lenses. Don't know what it means, I don't know if there are specific lenses for 720p (don't think so).
rtogami is offline Find More Posts by rtogami
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:56 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I think you mean this one?

A tip. Use the "search this thread" link, then select "advanced search" to get a more definitive seach box. Put my user name "tom frank" in the user field, and the work "bike" in the key word field. You'll get just two hits, with the one I linked above being the first one. Quite fast by that method.

BUT, that video is not on the Vimeo web site, but rather exposureroom.com, which has even better video quality. But that site is intended more for semi-pro and very serious videographers, not hacks like us, so I don't direct anyone there normally and only use it when I really want to upload a video and my one per week limit for HD uploads has already been used at Vimeo.com.
HI,

I have a question about the video comparing the original #11 video to the results of running it through a couple of editors. I notice that both of the edited versions seem sharper than the original, particularly the one done with Magix. Does the Magix editor have a adjustable sharpening function? The results make it look well worth the $65.

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:33 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
HI,

I have a question about the video comparing the original #11 video to the results of running it through a couple of editors. I notice that both of the edited versions seem sharper than the original, particularly the one done with Magix. Does the Magix editor have a adjustable sharpening function? The results make it look well worth the $65.

Regards,
Gord
Hi Gord,
Yes, MAGIX does have a user adjustable sharpening filter, and so do the freeware AviDemux and VirtualDub editors (but those two lack many other features obviously). I always sharpen my videos when editing... it makes them look so much better (to my eye), as does toning down the saturation and backing off the contrast a notch.

Recently I've been trying the VideoPad editor (free fully functional trial download, like MAGIX) which sells for about the same price as MAGIX MEP17+. It is easier to use than MAGIX and has some nice features, but not quite up to MAGIX in that regard (especially the titling ability). It has built in adjustable sharpen filter, but it is very sensitive. However, it can use all the Vdub filters, including the less sensitive sharpen filter and one that can reduce the central "hotspot" and vignetting in the #11 video. It works quite well. MAGIX does the latter, too, but can not only adjust the vignetting brightness, but also the color balance.
Closed Thread