Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:32 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,554 Posts
Also you have to steer with rudder... ailerons only to keep wings level or to start bank. There is also usually small input required to go straight. I think with most of my planes it is a slight cross control... if my memory serves me right rudder and left aileron. Its very small and changes slightly with AOA, prop sizes, and throttle input, and varies between planes.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:40 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
What models do you fly in your sim sessions?
I have the Russian Thunder scheme Yak 54 with some heavy duty editing. I posted somewhere the edits I made and I love it. Tom said it feels like the 64 MXS and I have to agree. Let me see if I can find the post because it had all the setting changes... they may actually work on a lot of model options.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:47 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,390 Posts
Quote:
What models do you fly in your sim sessions?
Here it is....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13519
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:35 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Outstanding thank you
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:34 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
soo... finally received 7245 for my edge's aelerons, ordered a fiala 16x8 (i heard quite a bit good stuff about big fialas...) now just to find out spektrum telemetry to find out how much amps am i pulling in air!

would love to get a set of jr 3711 or 9411 for laser but cant find any stockist in uk...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:44 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,720 Posts
Quote:
I had trouble with this too until I finally asked Tom what I was doing wrong. He understand it so well and communicates the process so well that I felt like an azz waiting so long to ask him. Correcting with rubber, like powerlines said, is the main thing because it seems so natural to correct the wing rock with ailerons. But what's really happening is that the wings are 'swimming' more than they are simply going up and down.

As one wing stalls first, it experiences more drag, which makes it slower than the other wing, which speeds up from the plane yawing in the direction of the stalled wing. As with a full scale plane, if you use aileron to lift a stalled wing, the down aileron only creates more drag, which can make things worse.

The Rudder applied in one direction will yaw the plane in that direction, speeding up the stalled wing. Over compensation will slow the flying wing and cause it to stall if you're behind in the correction.

So the yawing from side to side speeds up or slows down a wing and causes the faster wing to fly and the slower wing to stall. This is what I mean by swimming as opposed to rocking -- there is forward motion involved, along with the up and down motion.

As far as angle of attack, pulsing the throttle with the elevator back will help increase the AOA and stall both wings. If both wings are stalled at the same time, the rocking goes away.

Forward motion tends to try to level out the plane again and one will will usually start flying first. Using vectored thrust from the prop over the up elevator will keep the tail down so that both wings remain in stall. Good throttle control and a nice big prop disk will help.
Awesome and enlightening explanation!
But I am not sure what the upshot is. Are you saying that rudder is to be used to correct for wing rock? If so, exactly how and when do you apply rudder?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:05 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,156 Posts
What props fit the 4315 motor without reaming? I mostly used Xoars in my 48" planes but tried a ProTec and they were actually lighter than the Xoars so I picked up a couple 15x8 and a 16x8 to save a little money. That backfired because after reaming the 16x8 I noticed the hole is off center and the hub will not balance. I don't think the ream pulled it off but basically a paint stirrer now with a lesson learned.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:20 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
What props fit the 4315 motor without reaming? I mostly used Xoars in my 48" planes but tried a ProTec and they were actually lighter than the Xoars so I picked up a couple 15x8 and a 16x8 to save a little money. That backfired because after reaming the 16x8 I noticed the hole is off center and the hub will not balance. I don't think the ream pulled it off but basically a paint stirrer now with a lesson learned.
i think aeronaut, xoar and apc should fit, no problems... ooh and falcon!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:34 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Awesome and enlightening explanation!
But I am not sure what the upshot is. Are you saying that rudder is to be used to correct for wing rock? If so, exactly how and when do you apply rudder?
When one of my SFG blind nuts fell out of the 60 Edge, I noticed a bit of wing rock, but it was actually self-correcting... and pulling to a higher AOA, it went away. The bottom line is that if you feel you need to apply input to lift a stalling wing, using the aileron input is not the best way to do it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
santa cruz ca
Joined Apr 2009
148 Posts
I just got my hands on this plane!!!

I have 3) 6s 3000 packs i am running the Extreme flight motor and airboss esc. I will be running the 15X8 prop

does anyone here run 3000 mah packs? what kind of flight times should i expect?
sportsman is offline Find More Posts by sportsman
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:13 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsman View Post

I have 3) 6s 3000 packs i am running the Extreme flight motor and airboss esc. I will be running the 15X8 prop

my guess is around 4.30-5min... im running 3600 and after 6min come down at around 3.85 per cell...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:17 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,720 Posts
Quote:
When one of my SFG blind nuts fell out of the 60 Edge, I noticed a bit of wing rock, but it was actually self-correcting... and pulling to a higher AOA, it went away. The bottom line is that if you feel you need to apply input to lift a stalling wing, using the aileron input is not the best way to do it.
Yes that much I got. I think I also hear you saying that more elevator is one way to stop rock. But are you also saying that rudder can be used to manage rock?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:37 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsman View Post

I get about 5:30- 6 mins depends how I fly. I monitor volts via telemetry, so I land when I am out of gas. If I didn't have telemetry I would be a little more conservative.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:46 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Yes that much I got. I think I also hear you saying that more elevator is one way to stop rock. But are you also saying that rudder can be used to manage rock?
If you are going to correct for rocking, the rudder, instead of ailerons, is better for the several reasons I mentioned. Additionally, pulling to a higher alpha means that both wings have a higher probability of staying in full stall.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:14 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,720 Posts
I am sorry to belabor. Don't meant to be bore. But this idea has me intrigued. So I was flying my 48 edge in some breeze today without the sfgs on. It is more squirrelly and does show some rock with no sfg and with some wind.

So I was trying to figure out how to correct for rock with the rudder. I did have success with higher AOA but could not figure out how to correct for rock with rudder?

any hints?