HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:37 AM
United States, NC, Winterville
Joined Jul 2014
57 Posts
On a different plane (my airfield 1150mm), I had a bad wreck this past weekend, and shored it up using bamboo skewers as well as 90 second epoxy mix from harbor freight. I then put a few strips of gorilla tape on it. We'll see how it goes when the weather gets better.
Jmel is offline Find More Posts by Jmel
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:02 AM
Prop-snapping Excitement
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp45 View Post
While in flight, I lost all control. Traced it to an old undetected crack in the fuse just in front of the leading edge of the rudder. It finally gave way in flight and broke off - losing all control. It is a clean break with the entire tail (fuse, rudder, and elev) broken off.

What is the best glue to use for repair that will stabilize the tail, hold with some flexing, and not work lose over time - Gorilla Glue, CA glue, or Epoxy?? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmel View Post
On a different plane (my airfield 1150mm), I had a bad wreck this past weekend, and shored it up using bamboo skewers as well as 90 second epoxy mix from harbor freight. I then put a few strips of gorilla tape on it. We'll see how it goes when the weather gets better.
I'd second the recommendation of some internal reinforcement like skewers for a break like that, as well as epoxy as the glue.
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:11 PM
Joined Jul 2014
57 Posts
Yeah it was suggested by someone who has been flying much longer than me. They were impressed it was such a clean break. The one thing I was unsure of is just how much of the bamboo skewer to use, so I used some 4 inch lengths. 4 of them to be precise, one at each corner of the fuselage. It essentially broke right at the front edge of the wing.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:34 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,966 Posts
I installed a 6mm x 1mm carbon flat from nose to tail. That way you won't have a weak spot either side of a shorter reinforcement. Some extreme crossweave tape around the joint wouldn't go amiss.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:02 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
75 Posts
Bixler tail break

Thanks all. Much appreciated. I think I will use epoxy for a really strong hold, then put some CF tubes in to support the break area, then cover it with cross-weave tape.
warp45 is offline Find More Posts by warp45
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:24 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all. Much appreciated. I think I will use epoxy for a really strong hold, then put some CF tubes in to support the break area, then cover it with cross-weave tape.
Don't forget to recheck your CG

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:48 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,021 Posts
Quote:
What is the best glue to use for repair that will stabilize the tail, hold with some flexing, and not work lose over time - Gorilla Glue, CA glue, or Epoxy?? Thanks.
I use Gorilla polyurethane glue. Possibly add some kebab sticks along the inside or outside if not fussy. Cheaper than carbon and just as strong in (tension) this situation.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:37 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
I use Gorilla polyurethane glue. Possibly add some kebab sticks along the inside or outside if not fussy. Cheaper than carbon and just as strong in (tension) this situation.
+1 DJ

epoxy does not bind the foam as well as most people think. It works good for gluing and plywood motor mounts. The plastic that the EPO planes are made of is expanded polyolefin. It was designed as a plastic carpets used in high-traffic areas, banks, emergency rooms, Social Security office, theaters and seat covers in theaters because it will not absorb most chemicals, dyes or stains that's the reason why it's a damn hard to paint it and have the paint stay on. Epoxy doesn't stick well to it either. Epoxy makes a mechanical bond around the bubbles by flowing through the cracks between the bubbles of plastic. Gorilla glue does something different I'm not sure why but it sticks to foam, olefin better than epoxy does.

If any of y'all got the skinny on how gorilla glue works I am all ears. That is a blind spot in my chemical history.

I've learned to fix planes by putting gorilla glue on the break rubbing both parts together spread it then using drops of CA to tack weld the two pieces together so I can set this thing down straight while the gorilla glue does it's thing. I often put cellophane tape over the crack which forces the gorilla glue to expand the inside. Pull off the tape and little cleanup is necessary.

DJ -the kamikaze ace he wares no helmet!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:40 PM
Joined Jul 2014
57 Posts
Awesome info, I'll pick up a bottle of that glue for next time. I hope the epoxy will work for now though, as others that I've talked to have used it and it seemed to work for them.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:52 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Gorilla glue does something different I'm not sure why but it sticks to foam, olefin better than epoxy does.
I often put cellophane tape over the crack which forces the gorilla glue to expand the inside. Pull off the tape and little cleanup is necessary.
Possibly works because it creeps into any crack and "forms" better than epoxy as it has a lower viscosity?

Definitely agree with the "tape to keep the glue in as it foams". Masking tape works well.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:12 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Possibly works because it creeps into any crack and "forms" better than epoxy as it has a lower viscosity?

Definitely agree with the "tape to keep the glue in as it foams". Masking tape works well.
Mac you could be right I don't know but I don't think that gorilla glue has any etching properties maybe it's also just a suction bond. But on this foam it damn sure works better than epoxy.

Do you know what that stuff is in an unmarked tube that comes from China in the box with our ARF planes? It seems to be like a form of contact cement. If you spread it on, stick the parts together then pulled them apart and let it cook for a while it sticks much better. If you slammed them together cutting off the oxygen the stuff stays soft for a long time. Anybody got anything on what that stuff is?

DJ - if man can make it, the kamikaze ace can break it!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:13 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
75 Posts
Great info. I believe you are right about the difference between Gorilla Glue and Epoxy and will use the Gorilla Glue instead. Glad to hear from all who have had similar problems. At least I'm not alone in breaking my airplane either.
warp45 is offline Find More Posts by warp45
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:15 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,966 Posts
Another tip when glueing is to score or prick both surfaces to be joined as this gives the glue something to key into. HK 20ml and 100ml glues sold in plain white tubes work really well with all foams. Very tacky and still remains a bit flexible
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
370 Posts
.Sculptor---------------

That glue is same as what HK sell as Clear Foam Glue, product code, Mucilage-L
Have a look their is good info on it. I use it and works great.
Also if it is a break where u can fit the bits back together HOT GLUE works fine, and strengthen with either CF or Sticks and cover with tape.
HK have tons of different glues, CF and tape.
farrari is offline Find More Posts by farrari
Last edited by farrari; Aug 19, 2014 at 01:25 AM.