HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2014, 02:47 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
488 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger 40

So I picked up this Tiger Trainer 40 with a GP or Pro 40 on it. It is 20yrs old and has never seen a drop of fuel. Finally got it started, but the weird thing is it only runs with the needle valve all the way in and the throttle wide open I noticed raw fuel coming from the exhaust, so when the engine stalled, I picked up the plane and drained a crazy amount of fuel from the exhaust This happened multiple times. The fuel lines are connected correctly. Anyone have any clues on what might be happening? Thank you in advance for your help.
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:27 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,612 Posts
Did you check if the needle valve seats when it is turned all the way in?

Most likely something preventing the needle from seating, so even if the needle won't turn any further, the valve is still too far open...

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:48 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
488 Posts
Not yet Brutus. My buddy mentioned the same thing. Sounds like a very likely cause. I assumed it being a brand new engine, it would come ready to run from the factory. Won't be able to check till tomorrow evening at the earliest. I will post my findings. Thank you for your suggestion.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
106 Posts
These engines (GP40) are as good as the FP 40s ... parts are interchangeable... the 40D and 3A carb will work perfectly on this engine.

You have something simple going on here... the carb can be taken apart and put back together in a 1/2 hour...
JC Johnson is offline Find More Posts by JC Johnson
Last edited by JC Johnson; Jul 16, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:57 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
628 Posts
Do you have the fuel and pressure line reversed?
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:27 AM
Measure thrice, mark twice...
United States, AZ, Ajo
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Depending on whether it is a GP or Pro, it will have an airbleed or a two needle carb. If it is a Pro, mebbe the lo-speed needle is backed way too far out?

Edit: altho that wouldn't have anything to do with high speed being run in all the way. Possibly a couple of things are off/clogged, not just one.
ahrma_581 is online now Find More Posts by ahrma_581
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
106 Posts
The more I read your post, Lifer may be right... it could be a gas tank issue.. also check to see if the clunk in the tank is free and at the back bottom . The first time this happened to me was on a hard landing.. the clunk was sent forward from the impact... the fuel lines were not changed so it baffled me at first. Start from scratch... start the engine with just a prime... after checking the tank... fill it half full... flip a few times to "prime" the carb... disconnect the pressure line from the carb... start it... there should be no reason raw fuel is getting in the carb now...
JC Johnson is offline Find More Posts by JC Johnson
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:29 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
488 Posts
Got her fired up and running good For some reason, the needle valve was extremely hard to thread all the way in, but I got it and she's running good. Thank you all for your replies.