HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:48 AM
West Australia
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts
Discussion
retro single channel and vintage R/C

A while back I got one of Phil G's single channel encoders to use in an OS Pixie. On the Hobby King site I saw the "Idol", a balsa ARF for $35 - this seemed an ideal test bed i.e. no emotional attachment.

The first few outings were not overly successful, resulting in several crashes at full throttle (I found it quite hard to quick blip the button for motor off before impact).

After repairing and strengthening the fuselage, adding a lot of down thrust, and practicing my button pushing, I headed down to the field today. The wind was quite strong so no one else had turned up and I had the field to myself. I did a couple of test glides which went OK, so I decided to give it a go.

Turned out to be my first successful S/C flight, even managed a loop- had a fair walk downwind to fetch it, but overall I was quite pleased given the conditions. Need to make few more trim changes and will hopefully fly again next weekend.

Picture below shows the "Idol" and Pixie (it didn't seem worth recovering the front of the fuz as I figured some more fixing is likely to be needed before I get the hang of this button pushing).
ozrs is online now Find More Posts by ozrs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2013, 01:10 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Cool!
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Jun 23, 2013, 04:13 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,451 Posts
Brilliant, well done.

Gordon
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jun 23, 2013, 04:43 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,069 Posts
Hi Rich, thanks for posting! Its great fun, the thumb action comes back with practise!
Our club just had our 2nd Single Channel meeting and it was a fantastic day - no wind, sunshine, and the combined smell of BBQ and small diesels! Theres an event write-up here: [link]
We've had seemingly endless winds here in Blighty and last Sunday was like an oasis of calm in weeks of appalling weather. We certainly made the most of it! Heres a short video of the meeting just to give you a taste:

PANDAS Single-Channel & Retro Radio Fly-In 16th June 2013 (10 min 29 sec)

I'd seen the HK Idol and thought it would make an ideal S/C model, and so cheap too - until you add UK delivery, which kills the idea stone dead!!!
Do let us know how you get on with your S/C flying, its like riding a bike!
Cheers
Phil
phil_g is online now Find More Posts by phil_g
Last edited by phil_g; Jun 23, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:25 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
You should have given me a call Richard, we could have done video!

See you at the field, Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:32 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
601 Posts
Really enjoyed you youtube clip.
And the photo link was great too.
Never seen so many Sharkfaces, or maybe i have been sensitised by building my own!
Warren B is offline Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:46 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Check out HK's CG Machine and the 'foamie' Junior 60 they use as a demo model is due for release soon!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:17 AM
West Australia
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts
Phil, great video - some proficient button pushers there!

Gary, probably best that there is no video evidence. BTW I think the Durafly Junior is actually balsa and film.

Below are some pics of Pixie before and after. It was a bit of a squeeze Phil's great little encoder at top, a FrSky DIY module(sans heatshrink), and a lipo.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:45 PM
Always building something...
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Oct 2005
114 Posts
Great conversion......
Well done considering no room.

Stan
engrv7 is online now Find More Posts by engrv7
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:55 AM
West Australia
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts
Vintage OS 3 channel set

I recently converted this vintage OS 3 channel set to 2.4ghz

Had to spend a bit of time fixing the gimbals:

1) the ball joint housing was cracked (see pic of a similar OS unit). I fixed it by wrapping with strong thread and epoxy.

2) the trim levers on these OS units often have the little plastic pin that moves the pot broken off. To fix I drilled out the pin and put a little nut and bolt through.

3) I replaced the single wound spring that centers the joystick with two metal arms and a spring across the top (these came from a Futaba M) to give better feel to the sticks.

I have a couple of sets with these OS gimbals, and the sticks are made from fairly soft aluminium. Interestingly, the throttle sticks are bent on both sets.

For the conversion, I used the encoder from a Futaba Attack 4, and a FrSky module. Also added a digital voltmeter behind some dark perspex where the charge plug used to be.

Richard